DrJB

Technic Parts Exclusive to Specific Sets

There are many rare parts that were released in one or at most 2 Technic Sets. One possible reason is it's TLG's way to boost sales of specific sets. Yet, I find it difficult to believe a company of such reputation using such 'tactics'. What possible other reasons can you think of? Sample parts I'm thinking of are:

1. Wheel rim covers on the Ferrari GTB Fiorano - 2 sets only

2. Cylinder brackets on DZ and crane - 2 sets only

3. Pneumatic cylinders on 8455 Not that rare, after all

4. X-Large motor on crane truck - 3 Technic sets + 1 non-Technic

5. LA Bracket on Telehandler (though not sure how useful such part is) - 2 sets only

6. PF Lights - 2 Technic sets only

7. Yellow shock absorber - 1 set only

8. ...

58088.jpg53178.gif58121c01.gif61905.jpg61930c01.jpg48912c01.gif

Edited by DrJB

The Ferrari covers make sense because Lego wanted to make the wheels look authentic to the real thing.. They also used them for a rear rotor in the 8068...

It's not just Technic parts, Lego makes specific parts for quite a few sets.. Sometimes they turn up in another set down the road and sometime they don't..

I think the wheels, big yellow spring and window of 8420

Edited by vliet

According to brickset.com those pneumatic cylinders appeared in 10 sets.

What is special on the 8455 pneumatic cylinders?

I stand corrected, I thought they came up in 3 sets at most, when in fact they did show up in 9. Even more ironic, I have 4 of such sets (below).

8455-1.gif8110-1.jpg8421-1.gif8285-1.gif

Edited by DrJB

Even if they did make specific parts for specific sets to boost sales...i don't think it would really work. the making of new molds is very expensive, and I doubt additional sales, especially in Technic, would make up for it. I think by making specific parts, like the rim covers for the mentioned Ferrari you open the doors for a whole new group of BUYERS, this gaining a whole new group of people willing to buy not only that set but many others. The Ferrari is a good example. I bet it opened the doors for a lot of people

It looks more like Ferrari made LEGO create those covers, otherwise design wouldn't be signed of for sale.

Which LEGO reputation are you refering to? There was a time not too long ago when ROI on molds didn't matter to LEGO nor did they had a good grasp of their operation costs. If a set needed a new part, they'd made a new mold for it. There wasn't consideration if the part was going to be used again or by another theme. Designers had free reign. Each theme was a vertical silo and did their own thing. They almost went bankrupt from it. Now they won't even approve a LEGO Ideas if it requires new molds to be made.

Those wheel covers have been used on 8068 model too. Which motor "Large motor on crane truck" are you referring to?

^ probably the buggy motor on 8421

He attached the photo of XL motor and cal it L

I meant the XL motor, but wrote 'Large' ... corrected now. When a picture is provided, trust the picture, not the text :)

Which LEGO reputation are you refering to? There was a time not too long ago when ROI on molds didn't matter to LEGO nor did they had a good grasp of their operation costs. If a set needed a new part, they'd made a new mold for it. There wasn't consideration if the part was going to be used again or by another theme. Designers had free reign. Each theme was a vertical silo and did their own thing. They almost went bankrupt from it. Now they won't even approve a LEGO Ideas if it requires new molds to be made.

I like to 'think' of TLG as a very successful company, one that needs not run such 'practices' ... but I could be wrong.

I don't really see why making exclusive parts (to certain extent) is any sort of 'practice'. Some of these parts were necessary rendition of unique design elements which absence would damage the appearence to badly. Others are just pieces that might seem practical to the designers but proved to be expandable/not much of use. Another common reason could be manufacturing problems or design drawbacks of certain element, such errors which were discovered after the part was released in some sets.

Anyway, there are many more 'exclusive' molds in some system sets (not even talking bionicle-ish things). I don't see any particular problem with lego Technic.

I did not imply this was specific to Technic, as I'm sure it i's a company-wide practice. When I started playing with Legos (many years ago), the main idea was that you buy a basic/universal set, and then you can build anything you want. This is true today for many of the early technic sets as they did not have any exclusive parts content. Today, if you want to build 'most' sets, you have to build that specific set, or else the parts are not there, or maybe the wrong color. To me, this seems like a 'deliberate' effort to force sales of specific sets. Yes, I know this is a hobby and no one is twisting your arm.

I would not call the PF parts rare, because you are able to buy them sepetately in every lego store.

I have a tattoo of that yellow shock on my forearm.. :grin:

LOL ... I bet the tatoo was MORE expensive than the shock absorber itself.

pilot-extra-fine-lego-1.jpg

Edited by DrJB

Wheel Hub, Gearbox shifter, and mounting plate on 8880 (unique to that set)

http://alpha.brickli...Color=9#T=C&C=9

2999.gif

http://alpha.brickli...lor=11#T=C&C=11

6549.jpg

http://alpha.brickli...Color=1#T=C&C=1

6543.jpg

Front steering mounts on 8448 Super Street Sensation (unique to that set)

http://alpha.brickli...Color=9#T=C&C=9

32186.gif

Also.. that shock absorber did appear in 4 sets:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=48912c01&in=S

Edited by RohanBeckett

Wheel Hub, Gearbox shifter, and mounting plate on 8880 (unique to that set)

Agreed, the 8880 and 8448 had a number of unique parts amongst them. Those must have been very expensive sets to make.

8880-1.jpg?08448-1.jpg?0

Also.. that shock absorber did appear in 4 sets:

http://www.bricklink...P=48912c01&in=S

True, I was referring primarily to the YELLOW version. Yellow tends to stand out in any build. Gray is rather dull/neutral.

Edited by DrJB

Maybe they just decide the parts aren't useful? Maybe they just only use parts that they need for a set, no point in adding random parts onto a set just to make the parts "not rare"

Maybe they just decide the parts aren't useful? Maybe they just only use parts that they need for a set, no point in adding random parts onto a set just to make the parts "not rare"

Given how expensive the molds are, the ROI must be huge on those 'unique' parts ... This is the only business-sensical justification.

Brand related parts like the wheel rim cover would most probably owned by the brand itself. so the parts will only be made if the brand agree with their production. Also the costs for making a mold are caried by the brand. I don't know How it works for other rare parts.