Sign in to follow this  
Hinckley

Gylman's Train Car Diner

indexed.gif B-OV-4A

I plan to post all of the settings from the comic this week. That'll make it a lot easier to get them up on my site...

Here is Gylman's Diner:

gylmans_01.jpg

Originally I wanted to re-build Gylman's diner form the new city ideas contest, but thought to make up my own in the end. I would've given gylman full credit, but in the end-for time and to make my own MOC-I chose not to...

gylmans_02.jpg

gylmans_03.jpg

And here's the "set" for the interior with Grandma Gyl:

gylmans_04.jpg

gylmans_05.jpg

Let me know what you guys think! Thanks *sweet*

Looks good, though is the inside just bare?? 8-|

It looks very much like a train, but it might be a wee bit small to be a diner.....Though I love the interior chairs, they look very funky!! :-$

Looks good, though is the inside just bare?? 8-|

It looks very much like a train, but it might be a wee bit small to be a diner.....Though I love the interior chairs, they look very funky!! :-$

Yeah, :-$ when I'm building them as sets for the comic, I don't get too detailed with the interior, since I know it's not possible to "film" in there anyway. If this was going in my table-town I would make it bigger and have a good interior. There are a few diners I've been to in real life that are converted train cars, they are very small, but they work for the novelty purpose.

Looks good, it really has that train car feel to it! Can't wait to see it in your next comic! :-D

~Peace

A very fine idea! *y* And it really looks good - well done! *y*

It somehow reminds me of American movies from the late seventies or eighties or so....

Haven't you ever heard that a magician should never reveal his tricks? :-P Eitherway, I'm very glad that you decided to make your own because I think you have made a quite cool diner. It just looks so classic and oddly (similar to Asuka) it makes me think of Dirty Harry. (A favourite movie of mine!) I love the bench seats too! *wub* As a added advantage you're half way done if you want to make an 8-wide train! :-D

Another great setting, Hinckley *y*

Nice exterior, very deatiled.

I got the same feeling as Asuka and Sinner: it's very 70s styled. And it would look nice next to the Ciy Plan buildings, imo.

Thanks for sharing these creations.

LuxorV

Hinckie man, you must have a lot of bricks and creativity to build these full MOCs for your comic. Kudos!!

The design of this train car is marvelous, I'd like to see a real lego traincar like this on the track (I don't mind 8 wide traincars at all).

Too bad there's no interior, but real filmsets don't have an interior either they? You're a true proffesional Hinckley!

This is really nice I am in the middle of making a diner myself inspiered by Gylman and now you two!

I like the back light on the diner, makes it being a train all the more believeable! ;-)

Looks great! Very inovative and creative idea! Exellent job!

This is a very cool, simple creation. You've done a great job giving it that classic diner look. :-)

The only think I'd suggest is to at least give it a back wall, that way you can't see the grass through the windows. ;-)

I guess with my name on this thread I better pop in and say hello.

"Hello!"

I really can't add much here, though. The key to Hinckley's MOCing genius is things look clean and simple superficially,but then you look a bit more closely and see that things aren't as simple as you thought they were, and that little touches that seem almost accidental are a key to the success of the MOC. I don't know if this is an intentional thing you do Hinckley, or whether it's just your eye for LEGO construction.

For example here, the horizontal grooved 2x1 bricks in the bottom part of the tram car, when probably most people woudl have used long light gray bricks without giving it much thought. Or the curved downslope on the tramcar seats - realistic look, way better than the standard bench seat. Too bad LEGO does not have a curved roof slope piece that could have bee used to make the roof less angular.

I wonder whether macaroni bricks on the corners of the tram car, above and below the roof, would have been helpful.

Anyway, I'm constantly in awe of your MOCing talent. MOC on.

I really *wub* the look of the diner. I think this is a perfect "City" set *y* . Gylman did a great job on this MOC.

Model On!!

I'll have the meatloaf special, Grandma Gyl. Oh yes, lots of gravy. *y*

Great job as always Hinckley, and personally I've given serious consideration to an entire town of just half building shells, all lined up like a studio backlot. This would do nicely and just might be stolen liberally :-$ ;-)

I've also eaten in one of these places, and they really are tiny, greasy, and the food was surprisingly good.

I really *wub* the look of the diner. I think this is a perfect "City" set *y* . Gylman did a great job on this MOC.

Model On!!

Actually it's Hinckley's MOC for the Gylman character. Or were you joking....