Sign in to follow this  
blackdeathgr

"How Eltina was saved - CH2b" or The semaphore station�

"20th of Anthesterion, The year of 616AE of our holy gods

Dear Magdalene,

I miss you so much but I can't imagine wishing you were here, with me, in this harsh environment. The blistering sun alone would have made your pale skin look terrible.

Here in the New World time passes by quickly, as we constantly have to organize not only our King's men, military and civil servants, but also all those ignorant but pompous private merchants that seek to make a fortune out of these islands. Especially difficult is the task of communication between our colonies that are under constant threat from our neighboring nations, those red vultures in particular. Last week I had to stay away from my usual seat at Breshaun and was stationed at one of our lesser colonies, Eltina, in Le Bellan island. Eltina is mainly an agricultural "support" colony as we call it these days, with ample of sugar plantations that produce the much needed sugar canes for our rum, the so called spice of the eastern hemisphere.

Due to the nature of this colony, we don't have many men stationed there as more and more men are needed to our ever growing Breshaun both to maintain order and safeguard those self righteous nobles that seems to flock the New World islands these days. Peace maintenance and guard duties in Eltina fall only to a handful of men, a company of (mostly) elder soldiers that are close to their end of military service. This company is based on a newly erected building that acts as barracks (as totally opposed to the barracks building I described you back in Breshaun) and as a semaphore station.

What is semaphore you might ask? Well this is a fairly new invention from our genius scientist, Depillon that made our lives easier. No more messenger pigeons for us. They couldn't work here as there is too much heat and there are way too many vultures flying over our heads. So, semaphore is basically a very high mast with two moving planks on its sides that can be turned around. That way we can signal messages back to Breshaun in a matter of minutes. Two operators are enough for this towering masterpiece to work efficiently. And what an invaluable asset it proved!

Three days ago, our vile neighbors, those Corrish scum, that roam the sea east of Le Bellan and secretly smuggle sugar canes from Eltina, had some plan. They knew that Eltina was poorly guarded and decided to raid the colony! Why pay for sugar canes when you can get them for free is what they obviously thought and they had right. I would have done the same to them any time! Anyway, just in the nick of time, one of our troops stationed at the semaphore station's upper floor, saw four sails bearing Corrish military flags, coming at great speed towards Eltina. Thankfully, the experienced operators of the semaphore relayed the message fast to Breshaun and the governor immediately sent a battalion horse riding as fast as they could to help us. Upon reaching Eltina, fortunately in time, they were deployed on the shore bearing our flags and ready to fight. When those coward Corrish saw that we were ready for them and that they had lost the element of surprise, they turned their ships and fled. And that's exactly how Eltina was saved...

Faithfully yours,

Hugo D' Offren"

The short version? Corries came to Eltina, saw, never conquered pirate_tong.gif This building is a true army-in-being!

25302180050_75eba750cc_c.jpgSemaphore station

24967302314_2594122847_c.jpgSemaphore station

25479190302_93b49b928b_c.jpgSemaphore station - barracks

25505098341_9c2db5f895_c.jpgDiner is ready guys

25302175500_cb997e073b_c.jpgCavalry to the rescue

Great concept with the semaphore! The building looks suitable for such an installation, sturdy but not too fancy.

The posing of the cavalryman is also excellent :classic:

Excellent Semaphore! Nicely done, and the design is very convincing. I feel as if there should be flags on the arms though. Also, I don't trust those Oleanders correctly identifying Corlander flags, considering most Oleanders only sea Blue. I am pretty sure that is a proven fact.

Wow! When you announced it I was intruiged. And seeing it now, it's just so much wow! This building is the literal middlefinger into the Reds' faces!

Excellent job, and great story!

Just wonder when the first 'Your mom!' jokes are being exchanged with Breshaun.

As odd as it might seem, I really love the cavalry rider. First off, the torso is perfect, but what really stands out is the posing of the horse! I'm going to have to use that pose one day.

The actual build is excellent. It's nice to see an often overlooked part of history, and you did a great job replicating it. The build looks rugged and unrefined, perfect considering that Eltina is the less developed town. My only suggestion would be to replace the gold pieces as it makes the build look too steampunk (not my style).

What a story!

But I really like the build, Blue works surprisingly well for the roof

Great story, even if I am sure parts of it are grossly exaggerated. But the Semaphore station is cool, really well proportioned and well executed. It is good to see the Oleonders embracing technology rather than trusting to the Gods to save them.

Apart from the obvious misrepresentation of reality (Corrington would never disrespect the peace between our Empires - Aaaand, if we did so, a few puny horsemen would not keep us from our objectives! :pir-wink: ), I really like this build, and the story that goes with it. :pir-sweet:

Introducing semaphores is brilliant, and I dare say you will see them emulated (and obviously, much improved) by Corlander engineers some time in the future. :pir-wink: The overall look of it is nice, and the idea of a small garrison at the site is very realistic. Both barrack and the semaphore itself is executed very well and (apart from those very ugly blue uniforms :pir-tongue: ) the minifigs are cool too! The smoke is a nice detail, as is the cook, but my favourite is the fact that the semaphore arms are not perfectly level. It speaks to my sense of realism, and my prototype of Oleanders as unable to do anything properly! :pir-grin:

All in all, very good entry - and I would say this could be licensed as some sort of fortress, as it is a defensive structure. Alternatively a commerce building, as it is a service?

So the clueless clueboats invented the semaphore tower, huh? That's not what the Corrington history books teach... :grin:

I just hope they have some morion helmets on hand because otherwise they'll mostly be knocking one another out every time they try to rotate the signal arms! :pir-laugh:

Neat idea for a build. I can only think of a few other Lego semaphore towers, and I really like seeing less-common material. It looks pretty good and the building is nice. That useless cook minifig actually doesn't look too bad the way you present him. And the parting shot of the charging cavalry looks great.

But that "outcome" sounds like more rabid propaganda... Corries everywhere are laughing...

Good work.

Great concept and awesome execution. :thumbup:

I do agree about the flags, but I'm glad to see semaphores enter BoBS. :pir-classic:

Also, I don't trust those Oleanders correctly identifying Corlander flags, considering most Oleanders only sea Blue. I am pretty sure that is a proven fact.

That is not a proven fact you silly bluecoat. :pir-tongue:

So the clueless clueboats invented the semaphore tower, huh? That's not what the Corrington history books teach... :grin:

I just hope they have some morion helmets on hand because otherwise they'll mostly be knocking one another out every time they try to rotate the signal arms! :pir-laugh:

Red history books naturally have more errors in them than blue ones. :pir-grin:

Thanks guys for your kind words! I had a blast making this MOC because as an avid history enthusiast i have been reading stuff and watching countless hours of napoleonic era documentaries (since BoBS terminated my WWI and WWII documentary phase). When I saw this indeed overlooked part of warfare history, i knew i had to build something related to it.

Excellent Semaphore! Nicely done, and the design is very convincing. I feel as if there should be flags on the arms though....

Great concept and awesome execution. :thumbup:

I do agree about the flags, but I'm glad to see semaphores enter BoBS. :pir-classic: ...

Early semaphores (at least the one that the actual French Depillon (whose face looked like him -> pirate_devg1.gif ) invented, somewhere around 1793 or something i believe, was operated without flags but with these wooden "planks" i used. Later semaphores (English ones in particular) used flags and some kind of round lenses. So i leave these two up to you puny Corries to develop pirate_tong.gif

As odd as it might seem, I really love the cavalry rider. .... My only suggestion would be to replace the gold pieces as it makes the build look too steampunk (not my style).

Supposedly these golden pieces are brass ones for thunder protection (i didn't see them in any design of that era but seeing its my everyday work, i only thought it was appropriate to implement them as well)

What a story!

But I really like the build, Blue works surprisingly well for the roof

And to think some say dark blue roofs are unnatural...!

All in all, very good entry - and I would say this could be licensed as some sort of fortress, as it is a defensive structure. Alternatively a commerce building, as it is a service?

I licensed it as a defensive structure, as licensing it as a commerce building seems too far off.

...I just hope they have some morion helmets on hand because otherwise they'll mostly be knocking one another out every time they try to rotate the signal arms! :pir-laugh:...

Oleander engineers are the best (or second best) Old World has to offer. This machine is carefully planned so that the signal arms are way off even the tall shako hats our soldiers use!

Great idea to build a semaphore - is it sending smoke-signals at the same time? pirate_classic.gif

Naah, the smoke is from the oven our Oleander cook makes miracles and is about to invent the creme brulee! pirate_laugh_new.gif