Sign in to follow this  
GallardoLU

Porsche 917 (mod)

So i finally got the new 917 919 set, and being a huge fan of the 917 i knew i'd have to mod it to make me completely happy but i didn't realize just how much it would need it. below are 2 pictures top one is mine in front of an unmodified 919 (its 3 plates taller than my 917!) the second is a borrowed image of a standard Lego 917. the drop was achieved by 2 things primarily, first i lowered the canopy down 1 plate, and the second was switching to smaller tires/rims this took off a second plate (it was already 1 plate lower than the 919) there were also numorus less obvious changes inside and out to achieve the end result.

24938893053_8cc6c19936_b.jpg

My Modified 917

lego-speed-champions-porsche-919-hybrid-917k-pit-lane-23-side-75876-2016-zusammengebaut-andres-lehmann.jpg

Lego's 917

25539513676_e95f544458_c.jpg

Front View, showing narrowed front opening and reshaped nose. also the one downside to the older fender, the gap rear of the front bricks :sceptic:

25447106192_1f597e4051_c.jpg

Rear View, here you can see i added some greebling to fill out the space better, also the tail lights were removed as the were just way to big on the standard car.

25565667935_4f95a4ee0f_c.jpg

If you look close here you can see through the canopy to the driver, he is leaned back a very long ways to fit, and this was a trick. the driver sits so far forward in the real car that the minifig legs should actually be placed where the wheel hubs are located. so the standared chassis has been thrown aside to move the driver cavity forward as far as it could go. also if the helmet is removed he can sit quite a ways up further.

25198119749_753c571a6f_c.jpg

simple side by side, you can see quite a noticeable height difference between the 2 cars.

So there you have it a still speed champion styled Porsche 917 but much better wheels height and shaping in my opionion, feel free to comment, suggest, or anything. and Thanks for looking!

Edited by GallardoLU

The 917 is my alltime favorite racecar too, and you captured it very good in such a small scale. Great work.

Nice work on this for sure. I feel like I should know this, but where did you source the wheels/tires from?

Nice work on this for sure. I feel like I should know this, but where did you source the wheels/tires from?

rims are from Both the Audi R8 V10, and the Audi E Tron, also the McLaren P1 sets. I've turned them around backwards to make a more oldschool mag style rim here. the tires are from the city rally car and endurance racer using the same thing EROL uses and my viper used. :classic:

Nice. Much better than the original. Two suggestions: You could swap the white at the front for red and/or incorporate some brick-built headlights. And I think a couple of 1x2 curved slopes immediately behind the cockpit would work well to remove that one-plate drop.

Very nice! :thumbup: Big improvement of the original build plus it's as low as it can get. With the proper stickers added it will look even better.

Regarding headlights and slopes I agree with SpaceMonkey, maybe I'd try the 2x1 slope with slots behind the cockpit, too.

thanks for all the comments so far! I will be looking into changing the front end, brick built headlights are always preferred. as for stickers those will be coming in time too just need to finalize the design before adding those. I feel it's pretty close now. @ToniMontana thanks for the images it does provide a few new ideas :sweet:

So I've gone over this car again and quite completely too. I've now changed so much that there is probably only 30% of the original design left of it. from a glance though it is still quite similar. the obvious changes from V1 are to the nose area, its sleeker now, but uses a hinge to achieve the right angle, leaving a small gap just before the canopy. this will also let me use the stickers as they were intended again. also there are now brick built headlights and the fenders have been pushed back for a smoother shape as well. then feeling like taking it a step further i stripped out the rear of the car leaving a nice spare tire cavity. unlike the real car i was able to fit a full size spare, re-shape the frame to more closely represent the tube frame on the real car and added smaller exhaust closer to the real location for this particular car. (exhaust moved around a bit in later years) also you may notice i didnt change the step down rear of the canopy, i chose to keep it due to the shaping of the reference car, which has a similarly steep drop rear of the canopy.

*stickers will be added once i am completely satisfied with the shape.*

25258882509_40b3241f03_z.jpg

25600299066_b753f5a7bb_z.jpg

24995937394_13945ee12f_z.jpg

Let me know what you all think of V2, and thanks for looking!

I definitely approve of the improved front end. Also very clever that you've managed to fit the spare wheel in the back. Bizarre how old homologation reg's required space for a spare wheel and a suitcase!

Great, gets better and better! :thumbup: :thumbup: Very nice solution for the frontend.

I definitely approve of the improved front end. Also very clever that you've managed to fit the spare wheel in the back. Bizarre how old homologation reg's required space for a spare wheel and a suitcase!

Ha1 I forgot about the suitcase, time to find a space to hide that too :grin: side note I am considering switching to an 8 wide for this car(real is 78" wide), based on it's current length 8 is actually still a touch narrow (the fenders though would correct the tiny difference) of course though If I do switch it to 8 wide then it wont fit well with the rest of my SC cars :sceptic: oh and the rear tires would need to be much wider than is available

EDIT: this was my 666th post :devil_laugh:

Edited by GallardoLU

I am considering switching to an 8 wide for this car(real is 78" wide)

Why not 7w? Because of the offset at the windscreen which would make the car one plate taller? Guess that would be a nice width here anyway.

Why not 7w? Because of the offset at the windscreen which would make the car one plate taller? Guess that would be a nice width here anyway.

I thought about that too, and the short answer is if I were to leave the SC style and go for a more accurate shape I'd probably want to go as perfect as I can. which would be 8wide, length can stay as is, and the really hard part..... the canopy would need to be lowered another plate down (if at all possible). as a 7 wide you hit the nail on the head, I'm unsure how I could keep the windscreen at its current height and center it. but it if I do solve that... i'll just have to find a solution for the nose as its current design would result in some asymmetrical seams.

The brick head lights definitely make it stand out, I just wish lego would lower the number of stickers in speed champions. Great build.