dream-in-bricks

[MOC] TIE Interceptor - proportions study

Here's another TIE Interceptor. Comments welcomed!

My idea behind this build was to have it:

1) be proportional according to "Blueprints of ships and vessels from the Star Wars franchise"

2) stand without too much support

3) match the style of LEGO set #9492 without compromising (1) and (2)

I hope this explains the result.

25395637911_55b5b37dff_b.jpg

Scale: 3 studs per 1 meter, or about 1:42 scale. Coincidentally, it fits well with X-Wing set #9493 and Y-Wing set #9495 but not the A-Wing set #75003.

This TIE pilot is wondering why the interior is so cramped, even though the exterior is clearly bigger than the original set #6206.

25120920959_7181c403a5_b.jpg

Two 12-stud long technic axles extend deep into the cockpit to connect it with the wings. A closer look at one of the pylons:

24857906814_db352455d8_b.jpg

The pylon sections are held in place by octogons but otherwise the sections are not connected. This means a hard "roll" would cause the dagger wings to wiggle. I feel this needs to be fixed before it can do any serious space flight. What would you do here?

Back view:

25192867920_cbf2f846b2_b.jpg

I only learned recently that the cavity is supposed to be an hexagonal window. Really? Those ion engines must be really really small.

Front view:

25120920189_95254919f9_b.jpg

The wingtip guns' main function is to keep the long gray "hypotenuse" tiles from rotating away from the wing (quite an embarrassing sight).

Side view:

25370012472_849790a118_b.jpg

The middle section of the wing is the most unfinished. You can see the technic axles extend all the way to the surface. An earlier iteration used the pulley wheel as a spacer between the pylon sections, which gave room for the obligatory round decorative tile with the TIE print. Unfortunately that lengthened the pylons and unstablized the wings. What would you do here?

Due to the cockpit diameter of this particular build, I chose the windscreen from set #6206 instead of the dome from #9492.

dream in bricks

Shoutouts:

The cockpit SNOT borrows heavily from 501st Commando's TIE,

The 6ΓΈ dishes and octogon-based engines borrows from CCOOK's TIE,

Other elements borrow from MOCs now buried deep down in the forums.

Thanks to all TIE MOCers for your inspiration.

Edited by dream-in-bricks

Looks good, can't wait to see you finish it off - I like the overall proportions, shame about the dome windscreen not working - I prefer that one.

Looks really good. I might try to do some things differently with the details, but I think the proportions on this one may be the best I've seen. And the engine should be a standard addition to all TIE MOCs, probably.

With the wings, I think there's got to be a way to connect them to the pylons with a long technic axle, using 1x1 technic bricks in the pylons and technic plates in the wings.

Edited by Raskolnikov

Not bad. I can appreciate your attempt to bring in the fin-like protrusions on the pylons, which is not easy to do well with LEGO, and most people choose to obfuscate. The wing mid-sections definitely look a bit unfinished. I like your use of cheese wedges and plates with slide rails to hold the angle of the outer wing sections in place.

The size and shape look spot on, only thing i would try to do is improve the shape of the cockpit if possible, other than that it looks great :)

Looks good, can't wait to see you finish it off - I like the overall proportions, shame about the dome windscreen not working - I prefer that one.

Perhaps the windscreen is the problem here. I need it to look more like a gray ball with a black disc in the front, less like a cube that is 5/6 bluish gray and 1/6 smoke gray :classic:

Edited by dream-in-bricks

Epic! Could you post an LXF or instructions if you have time? I would just love to build this!

Could you not bump these old topics please, you can pm people with a request for the lxf files. This is the bazillionth topic you've bumped with the same request and the bazillionth time I got disappointed thinking it's a new creation or cool new addition to an old one.