Didumos69

[TIP] Use rubber connector to avoid rim from sliding of axle

Hi,

For the AWD platform that I'm working on (project 'Steppenwolf') I've been looking for a way to better fix the rims to the axles (5.5l with end stop) coming out of my self-composed wheel hubs. I ended up shoving a rubber connector (damper) onto the axle and squeeze it between two 2l lift arms. The short lift arms are attached to three 3l pins that are inserted into the rim and held in place with three more 1.5l pins and a belt wheel covering the hole thing. See image.

960x540.jpg

The image has been rendered, but I applied this in real life and it actyally works, even in a setup with high suspension demands such as my AWD platform. The idea may of course also be applied to the similar rims with 6 pin holes.

I thought this might be useful for others and may even look good on truck-like vehicles. The whole thing may of course also be placed on the inside of the wheel, but in a steering setup that would move the center line of the wheel away from the virtual kingpin, which I personally don't like.

Regards,

Diederik

Edited by Didumos69

Two half bushes on the axle end would do the same job.

I tried with two belt wheels, which are also a tight fit and these still slider off after pushing the suspension a few times. I think the nice thing about using the squeezed rubber connectors is that it actually 'damps' the side movement of the rim and recovers from this movement.

That's an illegal build, and as Doug said, I think 2 half-bushes would be plenty. You even have the space to put three, on your design.

Two half bushes plus a belt wheel should be sufficient. You could always use a tiny piece of "BlueTac" between them to increase the grip.

Two half bushes plus a belt wheel should be sufficient. You could always use a tiny piece of "BlueTac" between them to increase the grip.

I will try with two half bushes and a belt wheel. If that will prove sufficient I will use that,

That's an illegal build, ...

What do you mean with 'illegal'?

You are putting a beam half a stud on a 3L pin, which strains the pin. That's what called an illegal build.

You are putting a beam half a stud on a 3L pin, which strains the pin. That's what called an illegal build.

Read this :)

http://bramlambrecht...stress-bf06.pdf - page 7-8 shows some illegal technic stuff, and page 29

(Jamie Berand is one of the lead Lego Designers...)

Straining the minor edge half way the 2L peg of a 3L pin is not the same as straining the outer edges of a peg or half peg as described in the referred amendments. But never mind, next time I think the Earth is round, I'll keep it for myself;-)

Edited by Didumos69

Straining the minor edge half way the 2L peg of a 3L pin is not the same as straining the outer edges of a peg or half peg as described in the referred amendments. But never mind, next time I think the Earth is round, I'll keep it for myself;-)

You are right. peg/beam being in the 'middle' of the 2l side of 3L pin has been used in lego technic models and I see no real reason why it shouldn't be legal.

Eventhough I don't think this is brilliant solution of any sort, it's definitely not as trashy as the comments above suggest. I believe it holds the axle quite well, still I'm quite sure that 3 puley wheels would grip at least as well (it's da** tight fit :D )

You could as well just use 3 pulley wheels. Perfectly legal, looks the same, simpler, and I think it would hold even better.

It is a workable solution for slow speed crawling. I think it may make the wheel unbalanced if you drive at highway speeds.

While this method is nice it is also possible to use old half bushes (the toothed ones)Sariel used them in his F1