Until the day I can do MLCad as fast as others on here (with my eyes closed), I'd have to settle for LDD. Of course, with ease of use comes the challenge of collisions (LDD is NOT forgiving). So, here is my attempt, it's about 50% done, fell free to build upon. http://www.brickshel...adoka_truck.lxf There are other WIP sub-assemblies in the LXF file.

madoka-icarus.png

Edited by DrJB

Until the day I can do MLCad as fast as others on here (with my eyes closed), I'd have to settle for LDD. Of course, with ease of use comes the challenge of collisions (LDD is NOT forgiving). So, here is my attempt, it's about 50% done, fell free to build upon. http://www.brickshel...adoka_truck.lxf There are other WIP sub-assemblies in the LXF file.

When you get to the body, you'll find that there are a bunch of rubber connectors which allow things to flex that wouldn't otherwise fit together. I'm pretty sure none of that will work in LDD. It doesn't technically work in LDraw either, but you can force parts to overlap and make things line up.

I can't use LDcad,I find the GUI terrible and not easy to use.

Well, I have to agree that the GUI is not... world's best looking GUI. :laugh:

But it works fine. And, since it has the part snapping and 3D editor and stuff like that, I can build so much faster in LDcad than MLCad.

But, anyway, it's going a bit off-topic and it's personal preference after all :classic:

Well if you still need help with LDD version I'm all...erm....here to help.

Edited by Zblj

Thank you Zblj, your skills definitely are way higher than mine. I can tweak few parts here and there, but sometimes when I build whole sub-assemblies and then try to attach them to the main vehicle, I can't. This is especially true if those main assemblies connect to the vehicle at MULTIPLE points. As much as I appreciate LDD ease-of-use and snap-to-piece features, collisions and funky (crazy) alignments are almost impossible to handle (at my skill level, of course).

In any event, I'll put few more hours into the body and then come back for your help, as you so generously offered.

Edited by DrJB

You do not need the parts. From just the LDD, it appears to me there are issues. UNless the author physically built it and was not able to build it in LDD (which is very strict).

This is what I was talking about in post #76 :wink:

Looks like we reached the same conclusion ... but you reached it way ahead of me :grin:. Now, another 'serious' issue is the seats, some of the parts undergo full 3D rotations, and I have not been able to align them. The part with the L motor I totally skipped, but I read in a different thread that an new LDD update came up that has the L motor and other technic parts. Well ... give up not, at least not yet.

hmm, any ideas on what gearbox to use??

hmm, any ideas on what gearbox to use??

What do you mean? The MOC does not have a gearbos as it is driven directly by electric motors. Do you want to modify it and add a gearbox + fake engine?

I think this has been my greatest LDraw challenge so far. I now have everything except the doors, but those are going to be the hardest part.

640x392.jpg

Actually, the rear quarter panels were a nightmare:

640x480.jpg

Actually, the rear quarter panels were a nightmare:

640x480.jpg

Wow :wacko: That's quite a mess. I feel bad for you for having to do that with LDraw.

You are fast Blakbird. It's looking good. Indeed this quarter panels look challenging.

All of this 3D modeling that is going on in this site blows my mind.

I know nothing of what it takes to create this stuff, but with 2 days of work

an entire model is designed on the computer??! :look:

I am in awe. Would love to learn how to do this.

Blackbird, since I have started Lego again all of your renders seem

so clean. You're the man!

When you get to the body, you'll find that there are a bunch of rubber connectors which allow things to flex that wouldn't otherwise fit together. I'm pretty sure none of that will work in LDD. It doesn't technically work in LDraw either, but you can force parts to overlap and make things line up.

I've seen those, and to me that was a show stopper. Again, as much as I like LDD's ease of use, the no collision feature is really hindering.

Did not notice BlakBird's render ... what an amazing piece! You need to start thinking about starting your own Lego School for 3D Design ...

Edited by DrJB

I've seen those, and to me that was a show stopper. Again, as much as I like LDD's ease of use, the no collision feature is really hindering.

DId not notice BlakBird's render ... what an amazing piece! You need to start thinking about starting your own Lego School for 3D Design ...

Total agree with that.

Amazing good render Blakbird :wub:

640x480.jpg

I was able to do the quarter panels in LDD rather easy, but once I tried to attach them to the main body, there was no way.

Now, here is maybe a workaround. The 'crazy' angles are difficult in LDraw, but much easier in LDD because of the auto-align-snap feature. In principle, one should be able to create such assemblies in LDD, then export them to LDraw. The real question then is: Does an LDD to LDraw file export function exists? I know LDD can read (to some extent) LDR files, but I'm not aware of the other way around.

Edited by DrJB

Eureka! Not bad for 2 days.

640x360.jpg

Thank you, Blakbird! Your rendering looks better than actual one on my shelf! :wub_drool:

Rear spoiler should lean backwards. I think you have connected LBG #3 connectors in the opposite direction. (from instruction page 160 to 162)

I was able to do the quarter panels in LDD rather easy, but once I tried to attach them to the main body, there was no way.

Now, here is maybe a workaround. The 'crazy' angles are difficult in LDraw, but much easier in LDD because of the auto-align-snap feature. In principle, one should be able to create such assemblies in LDD, then export them to LDraw. The real question then is: Does an LDD to LDraw file export function exists? I know LDD can read (to some extent) LDR files, but I'm not aware of the other way around.

It exists, but some parts are oriented wrongly, somehow positions are very inaccurate (I noticed almost 0.25L misalignment). However, I used one trick: reading off exact angles from LDD then use them in MLCad.

This is a great model! Awesome bodywork and works great to. I've never seen a drive train such like that before, I will probably try to build it.

@Blakbird, do you build in MLCad or any other software?

Now, here is maybe a workaround. The 'crazy' angles are difficult in LDraw, but much easier in LDD because of the auto-align-snap feature.
There's no such thing as "building in LDRaw". LDCad, which uses LDRaw part library, has part snap feature and is quite easy to use, even for odd angles :wink: