Hello everyone! This is my latest creation.

ICARUS Supercar

800x450.jpg

Introduction

The name comes from a man who desired to fly higher using his technology.

Many times I have tried to realize the speed what supercar MOC should perform. I needed “wing” called buggy motor, but all I had is a bunch of PF motors. So I connected motors together using “wax” called SBrick. Like Icarus of Greek myth, higher speed and torque may be lethal for the model itself...

The result is here in the video!

Weight: 1760g

Propulsion: 4x PF L motor for rear wheel drive

Steering: PF Servo motor

Front and rear lights: 2x PF light

Powered by: 2x SBrick and 2x 8878 rechargeable battery box

Features:

independent suspension for all wheels

working steering wheel

manually adjustable rear spoiler

opening doors, hood, engine cover, glove box

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Drivetrain

You may think it is not fast enough, but for me it was a relatively success. Surprisingly, gears and CV joints have never damaged or popped out even at the time of maximum acceleration. :thumbup:

Although I had designed its drivetrain carefully, I was not sure if small bevel gears in differential withstand the load.

800x450.jpg

Two 20T bevel gears of each side divide the load from differential equally. In this setting differential doesn't move back and forth easily. That means differential and 20T bevel gears hardly ever disengage. So they keep rotating smoothly even under high load.

In this MOC there are three L motors (and two SBricks, two battery boxes, bunch of wiring) on the supposed location of V8 engine. So if someone build manual version with gearbox, there would be enough room for it.

Body design

As expected, building 1:10 scale supercar was very hard. Especially the body work. I've built one three years ago, but it was primitive MOC in every way.

New MOC is heavily inspired by modern McLaren supercars. I tried to build their curved shapes using rather technic panels than flex axles. Front and rear light section happened to become different from the original mainly because of the positon of LED. Though finished model is not a copy of P1, I am happy with the result of realizing proper mid-engine proportion.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Building instructions: http://rebrickable.c...icarus-supercar

I hope you like it! :wink:

Edited by Madoca 1977

Wow that is an amazing supercar!

I really like the lines and the front part.

Genius! I really like the curves of the body especially the side views. It is sexy! And designed with panels instead of flex axles, wow!

Oh, all those curves! Beautiful design, as always, BRAVO! :classic::thumbup: :thumbup:

I think it has great performance, and I love the fact, that You only use PF motors. This makes more affordable for us, and leaves more playground for creativity.

Great description too, enjoyed to read.

One question though: how would such model run with 2 L Motors? Obviously the overall torque would be -50% less, but also the weight would be reduced by ~300 gramms (? approx value, 2 L Motors + 1 BB).

Edited by agrof

Damn! Lots of interesting building,.. and the profile of this car is downright sexy,.. pretty much no gaps,.. good performance,.. Impressive!

Edited by Sylvian

One question though: how would such model run with 2 L Motors? Obviously the overall torque would be -50% less, but also the weight would be reduced by ~300 gramms (? approx value, 2 L Motors + 1 BB).

On flat and smooth surface, the power of two L motors may be enough for lighter weight. But the acceleration would be slower.

In the video, I put GoPro camera with a mount made by Lego to take driver's view shot. Eventually four L motors didn't care about extra weight.

It will be similar comparison between your Baja Buggy(2L) to my Baja Truck(4L).

Wow, it reminds me of McLaren P1. :wub:

Can I say this is the first ever technic supercar which has amazing looks and acceptable speed at the same time while using PF motors?

You've built masterpieces of crawlers, trophy trucks, supercars.

I wonder what theme you will choose next? :wink:

Wow, I can´t find any words to describe it! That´s what I´d call a perfect Lego supercar setting benchmarks! The flowing body lines look so beautiful :wub: , the drivetrain design is genious and I just can´t believe it how fast it is. Thank you so much for building this, it´s very inspiring!

Thanks for the answer!

I see the point of this poject, the drivetrain is very well constructed. I was just wondering, what if... :classic:

As a ZRX owner, I do understand the meaning of TORQUE. :grin:

This is an amazing model Madoca, bravo! Beautiful body, great performance, very nice integration!

Concerning the double motors, could you try it, just for fun?

2 motors on the red car, 4 motors on the white, and make a race :sweet:

Excellent design, every picture screams of McLaren, which is no small feat of strengh.

Can't wait for the instructions, as always.

Very impressive. Lovely shape and great performance.

Would using 2 IR receivers give the same result? Apart from the range, how does the power compare?

Once more you've raised the Technic bar!

Well done.

WOW, this is excellent model. It looks awesome and even rides pretty fast (for LEGO model). Have you got inspiration for bodywork from McLaren P1?

Wicked looks, awesome functions, interesting drivetrain, very good performance, outstanding job! Adding it on my TO DO list :)

Edited by braker23

WOW! :wub:

First, when I read something about ICARUS, I thought you crashed/smashed/destroyed this wonderful piece of art in the end, as also Icarus was using the wrong technology for the purpose of flying. And he crashed in the end.

Thank god I was wrong!

Edited by tripletschiee