___

LDD colors naming vs. real bricks colors

As I have decided using just the exact real life brick colors (I mean combination of specific brick and color) I have quite a problem with LDD naming scheme as its color names in many (if not most) cases do not fit official LEGO colors naming. For example, which colors in LDD represents these as of now for me very crucial colors:

Light Bluish Grey (I am using LDD color 208 - Light Stone Grey)

Dark Bluish Grey (I am using LDD color 199 - Dark Stone Grey)

Light Grey (I am using LDD color 2 - Grey)

Yellow (I am using LDD color 24 - Bright Yellow)

Dark Grey (I am using LDD color NO USABLE COLOR!)

Flat Silver (I am using LDD color 298 - Cool Silver, Drum Lacq)

Trans Purple (I am using LDD color 126 - Light Bright Bluish Violet)

Trans Neon Orange (I am using LDD color 47 - Transparent Fluorescent Reddish Orange)

Metal Blue (I am using LDD color 145 - Metallic Sand Blue)

Can anyone participate and tell me if those are correct or there are some others that I should choose as their LDD equivalents (ehm, there are no others in LDD as a fact actually :laugh: )?

I am a bit lost and really really need help (as I have to be as much accurate as possible so my renders would represent real brick model rigorously)! :sad:

Besides I really do not understand why they did chose such made up naming and not the ones from real existing LEGO brick color names, to me it is quite misleading and unnecessary mess.

Edited by bublible

Well the main thing here is that you think in LDraw/Bricklink colors, which aren't the same as official Lego/LDD colors. LDD does use the official Lego color names.

Light Bluish Grey (LDraw) = 194 Medium Stone Grey (LDD/LEGO)

You can see the whole list on Rebrickable

Well the main thing here is that you think in LDraw/Bricklink colors, which aren't the same as official Lego/LDD colors. LDD does use the official Lego color names.

Light Bluish Grey (LDraw) = 194 Medium Stone Grey (LDD/LEGO)

You can see the whole list on Rebrickable

Well, simply what I mean is the naming one would use if buying at BrickLink, Pick-A-Brick or wherever else (but I may be wrong, of course, anyway I did not see it selling in any other names than this somewhat standard naming and if for example LDD - cos that was my question, not LDRAW - was intended for ppl to design and afterwards order their bricks from LEGO Store then I really see no reason in such a "made up" naming, or let's say naming that does not "tell anyone anything" about actual brick color he needs to buy unless he uses some additional SW that would transfer those LDD naming/color numbers into real "buy-able" brick colors, if you understand me)...to my knowledge colors are selling exactly in that as you said "LDRAW/Bricklink" way which is exactly one of the points I am asking this question/for help (so one can easily ordder required bricks in required EXISTING color name).

BTW thank you for the link - I will check it later as now I am doing something else.

@Umbra-Manis

So I've finally checked that link for colors naming conversion you gave me and it really helps me a lot, basically it solved "all my needs" for now - thanx a lot for your help! :wink::thumbup:

Take a look at the LDD Reference topic too.

There was an user that worked very hard in the past to maintain a good conversion table. Maybe it is not up to date now, but it should be quite reliable.

Take a look at the LDD Reference topic too.

There was an user that worked very hard in the past to maintain a good conversion table. Maybe it is not up to date now, but it should be quite reliable.

If it can help, I spend hours last year making this conversion table with name and colour values from multiple sources.

Thank you, it is very helpful, Scrubs - good work and very much appreciated! :thumbup:

Ehmn, the only problem would be if I print it it is so huge that it would be too little/tiny to read BUT if used purely on computer screen there is no prob at all. :wink::laugh:

...but now I have additional question: how to add all those missing colors to LDD color palette? :look:

I think I saw it somewhere around here but once again: where? I know that the actually available palettes are stored in *.lif file(s) inside Palettes folder, but how to create one (*.lif file)? If I open it up in Notead++ I see there are some additional "signs"/pseudo-letters so I guess it is some archive of some kind, right? Any help would be useful - how to create one (adding my own color numbers i would like to have present as it seems not all are there not even in extended mode) + how to apply specific color palette, guys.

Seems like I found it...

Edited by bublible

DONE - now as I have managed to customize my LDD color palette (tho I'm admitting that it is not possible "normal" way - just letting know to those who would be wanting to make something like this, and as it is taken as kind of hack I cannot talk about it further here but what can I say is that now I have names inside my LDD color palette exactly as i wanted= according to BrickLink color names and only those I really need/use so I can chose them easily without thinking too much about what LDD name/color is which one on Bricklink store(s)...yayks! :grin: )...thank you @Umbra-Manis & mainly @Scrubs for your PDF file, it was very very hepful to my work!!!

...I plan to update my bublible_materials.sc later so their metallic colors would be more accurate in terms of real LEGO bricks colors (for example my Copper looks pretty nice BUT it has almost nothing to do with real ricks Copper color - to my surprise (it is basically kind of brown color, ah), but it is not priority for me right now, just saying for those who might be interested (if they using BR with my MOD).

Edited by bublible