Sign in to follow this  
Dardanel

[MOC][Steampunk] An’kirah

Hi all,

The build I'm showcasing was built for the Brickstory competition, where it was chosen to be one of the finalists.

Build backstory:

In the beginning I decided to create an homage to Jules Verne’s “Around the World in Eighty Days” book, for the category “The History of Art”. But, as with all such things, the final construction far outgrew my initial concepts becoming what I am presenting you today. The initial flicker that sparked me in this direction is still part of the final piece – the hot air balloon, my favorite part of the build. Unfortunately, the train and the ship are no longer part of the build, donating their parts to the foundation of the mountaintop instead. While this build does not tell a story any known ancient civilizations, I still feel that it fits the theme perfectly, especially given how lax the rules regarding themes are.

The build depicts a ruin of an ancient sea-faring civilization, with a deep, dark, underworldly secret that brought on their demise. At some point during their reign they became so enchanted with shiny, yet unbeknownst to them - deadly, crystals that they started worshiping them as Gods and building underground shrines for their collection. When the first signs of the disease came it was too late for most and those who survived quickly abandoned their once grand cities, never to go back to behind their shimmering walls.

The city of An’kirah, was a bustling city that was primarily a religious center. The many shrines that once made this mountain city known far and wide now lay in ruin. Forgotten by time itself it awaits brave souls ready to explore its narrow corridors and tell its story once again.

Phileas Fogg and his crew approach the ruins, to recover the legendary treasures within it.

Build images:

25082050579_d1c7365688_c.jpg

24822924873_f6f67c1996_c.jpg

24819086694_0d34a034b7_c.jpg

25356719011_91ecd8a1cf_c.jpg

24822928473_f1c8bdec43_c.jpg 25082052219_db0d322327_c.jpg

Any and all comments and criticisms are welcome! :)

A wonderful dirigible balloon!

Fine landscape - and your characters look good too!

Thank you! : )

Nice atmosphere of the set and I like the outward pointing bridge. Opens space for fantasy.

Very cool, I love the balloon and the bridge.

Thank you!

I find that a great story. Love such mysteries. While the highlight indeed the balloon (great use of that rock dome) the whole landscape is done excellent. I like how you can tell whag is going on by looking at the figures.

I believe everyone here loves your balloon! Is that one of those Star Wars planets or some other element?

Great build!

Delightful! The scene as a whole is wonderful- the character composition and balloon are the highlights, though.

@iammc: Yes, that is a planet from the Star Wars Planets series.

Edited by Junior Shark

I find that a great story. Love such mysteries. While the highlight indeed the balloon (great use of that rock dome) the whole landscape is done excellent. I like how you can tell whag is going on by looking at the figures.

Thank you! I am really proud of how the balloon turned out : )

I believe everyone here loves your balloon! Is that one of those Star Wars planets or some other element?

Great build!

Thank you! As Junior Shark mentioned, the balloon is indeed one of the planets from SW.

Delightful! The scene as a whole is wonderful- the character composition and balloon are the highlights, though.

@iammc: Yes, that is a planet from the Star Wars Planets series.

Thank you : )