BrickOn

[CH2a - Cor] Fortifications

“Well?”

“Well, what? It’s a tree house.”

Sir James and Lieutenant Watton were surveying the newly erected belltower.

“Well with limited materials…” Lieutenant Watton tailed off; the bell tower had been constructed quickly, it was important to get an early warning of approaching ships. The waters had become increasingly hostile and these new lands must be defended against the upstart pretentions of the other colonies, even the sea rats were pushing their luck these days.

“My younger brothers have better treehouses, back in Corrington.” Sir James continued, “We had the best of the Corrington fort builders in the new world working for four and twenty days and this is what they came up with?”

Yes, thought the Lieutenant, he had wondered about the choice of Corrington builders, but on this occasion chose to remain quiet on the subject, instead he said. “I think the men would prefer to be at sea Sir James”.

“Well so would I, you know it, but Queen Annette has hundreds of miles of coastline to defend from the Oleonders and we have been tasked with this section. What am I going to tell the other Captains when they see this ram-shackled collection of outposts?”

“You could tell them the location is good. But truly, I’d be surprised if they have built much more substantial fortification at this time, it is very early days. Merryweather Lumberjacks, in Port Raleigh has been working overtime to meet the demand for timber in the area. Ship building is at an all time high you know, and maintaining the fleet is top priority. We had to trade the last of the rum to just to secure the wood we got for the treehou- I mean belltower.”

“Last of the rum? That is serious.” Sir James frowned, making a mental note to fix the rum supply as well as everything else. “Okay I suppose we could show them the new lens for the lighthouse. It is top of the range, latest scientific advances in lighthouse technology. Amplifies the light more than 10 times you know.”

“Yes Sir, its very good Sir” the Lieutenant was ever so slightly sick about hearing this marvelous technology, it was hard enough to get the damned thing up the tower.

Just then a messenger came with hurriedly up to Sir James, coughing to announce his presence and before either the Lieutenant or Sir James could react he began to speak. “Sir James I have a urgent message, you have been asked to attend immediately at in Arlinsport”

As the Lieutenant watched Sir James stride off into the distance, thinking that could have gone worse when one of the guards came rushing up to him.

“Lieutenant, the cat’s got stuck in the bell tower again.”

25342913481_70d49e6eae_c.jpgFort, on Flickr

25083501529_502354fa56_z.jpgMainFort, on Flickr

25083437889_f78d8125ce_z.jpgSirJamesFort, on Flickr

25155442870_2927ebef0c_z.jpgFort3, on Flickr

(I'll add more photos later - Done)

Edited by BrickOn

If the kids have better treehouses, those must be palaces

Great looking outpost you have there, I like it a lot

:laugh: funny story!

Great job on the fort, I really like the belltower!

Neat build. I like the lines and overall look of the clock tower. The rock works with mixed hues, as well as the yellow spots on the beach.

Great entry !

Nice story, good building techniques, I like the rockwork and all that wooden towers on it ! good job !

Edited by Faladrin

Great entry to the challenge, really meets the idea well and superbly executed.

I especially love the yellow elements on the beach, they add some nice colour, and the design of the huge palmtree in the foreground.

Thanks for the comments, I've added a few more photos, but please forgive my dodgy photoshop skills, I'm a bit rusty with it.

This is a very good fort and in the running for CH2's top-prize.

Show us what's under the fort!

Well thanks, but I think/hope we will see a lot more entries to come :-) There's nothing under the fort yet, I mean there is definitely room for a prisoner or two, but that was not the purpose of placing gates and its not intended as a prison. I guess the fort is built on limestone (probably an old carbonate reef, situated on a volcanic sea mount or something, that is now above the present sea level), and there is a natural cave system in the rock, it was there when we arrived. The Corries have not explored it yet and the locked gate was just to prevent unwanted invadors using it as a weak point, hopefully there is enough firepower to stop someone entering the caves, but who knows.

Looks like Corrington is off to a good start. An excellent build all around, and I'm surprised at how well the yellow and tan work together for the beach. The towers are fantastic as well. The seemingly random use of pieces makes them look very much like something built with scrap wood, and it is neat that they are all unique.

Great story!

Very nicely made scene, tree leaves look great on the trees and as roof.

The yellow and lime green studs give the right amount of flour variation, well done!

Very nice build and excellent story, BrickOn, the woodwork is great (lovely textures there!), and it looks like a pretty powerful fort as well! pirate_satisfied.gif Awesome job with those trees too! pirate_wink.gif

I actually was pleasantly surprised at this entry. Not what I was expecting but very cool. I really like the similarity to official Lego forts but with the initial fortification vibe. Excellent entry!

I really enjoyed the story, as it at times amuse, at others bring us back to the serious reality of fortifying an island in possibly hostile waters.

The landscaping is excellent, and it fits perfectly on the end of a small cape, a place where its lighthouse would do great good *wink wink*. pirate_wink.gif

It actually looks a bit like an updated (brick-built) version of the raised baseplates - very cool!

I like how it consists of three parts - the belltower, the barracks/hq, and the lighthouse, and it really looks like it is constructed from whatever pieces could be brought and aquired.

Nice details all around - my only gripe is that I can't seem to find that damned cat! pirate_tong.gif

Thanks for the comments :-)

Bregir, in the photos one of the boys is playing with the cat in the entrance to the main fort, its bad lighting inside, but you can just make him out. I suspect the same boy was responsible for luring the cat into the bell tower.

This fort meets the requirements of the challenge perfectly. It's wonderfully detailed and looks like it would be a lot of fun to play with. The different structures and scattered vegetation look great and I like how it's built up on the rocks. The story is nice as well. Good work. :classic:

That's a nice fort! I especially like the roof of the tower. And I enjoyed the story a lot.