*In no particular order

duplo.jpg?l.r2=-1248041354

friends.jpg?l.r2=1788104338

starwars.jpg?l.r2=-435588743

city_gen.jpg?l.r2=235288148

ninjago.jpg?l.r2=-2004523028

Top 5 Sets

#5 - Heartlake Grand Hotel

744_friends%20heartlake%20grand%20hotel.

#4 - Mindstorms EV3

744_mindstorms_ev3.jpg?l.r2=-841954268

#3 - City Police Station

744_city%20police%20station.jpg?l.r2=576

#2 - Millennium Falcon

744_star%20wars_millennium%20falcon.jpg?

And the best selling LEGO product in 2015 was.....

#1 - Elsa’a Sparkling Ice Castle

744_elsas%20sparkling%20ice%20castle.jpg

It seems Star Wars and Frozen are the most profitable LEGO licenses right now

Surprisingly, the Superheroes theme is not in the TOP 5

Edited by Robert8

To be honest, this list doesn't surprise me much. Friends and Ninjago are both huge hits. Star Wars was bolstered by the tremendous hype around the first new movie in years. City, like always, is one of Lego's most successful themes, and Duplo is, well, Duplo.

As far as the sets are concerned, my biggest surprise would be at the City Police Station from 2014 outselling last year's Swamp Police Station (perhaps its more traditional subject matter is what pushed it over the top). Apart from that you have some of the flagship sets from other successful themes, Mindstorms (which is probably due largely to its use in education), and the Frozen Ice Castle set which, while slightly late to the party, still managed to capitalize on the high demand for all things Frozen.

I'm surprised to see Elsa's palace is #1 because that's not the best set produced by LEGO in 2015.... Not even close. (it has flowers and fire! *huh*).

But then again, it's "Frozen"

Everything Frozen related just makes money by itself

Is this measured in units or $? Has to be the latter I guess, because otherwise I can't imagine the Heartlake Hotel outselling the smaller Friends sets. I'm still amazed by it though and hopefully this means that there will be more big Friends sets in the future.

I'm surprised Jurassic World didn't fit in there to some degree. All the sets sold out for awhile after the movie blew up and only recently got back in stock. There was a time when those shelves were bare.

^Maybe that's why it wasn't on the list. Maybe they sold out so quickly they didn't have production scheduled for another wave to be produced so they missed out on a lot of sales?? Just guessing.

As far as the rest of the line-up, I don't own any of the top sets nor do I really collect any of the top themes, except for a scattered SW purchase here and there. Very interesting. But then again, I'm not a big spender for LEGO, so they wouldn't even look at me as a target.

So I suppose the sets are ordered by revenue not number of sets sold, Right?

Presumably so, yeah. Otherwise I imagine the list would routinely be dominated by "impulse" items like collectible minifigures, Mixels, and City starter sets.

Edited by Aanchir

collectible minifigures

Actually, now that you mention it I'm surprised the CMF's are not in the list

S13, Simpsons 2 and S14 were top sellers in S@H the entire year

Edited by Robert8

I know the movie got a lot of hype, but that frozen set didn't deserve that place. Also surprised that minecraft is not on there, thought it was more popular.

AFOLS tend to find it very hard to view popularity of a line outside the perspective of an adult collector/aficionado viewpoint.

Communities like this warp your view of how the lego market works.

What makes a set "worthy"? As it had the most units sold, it is the top seller. Nowhere does it say that this means you should like your purchases last year any less. It doesn't state that any other set is lesser in any way, bar units sold statistics.

Actually, now that you mention it I'm surprised the CMF's are not in the list

S13, Simpsons 2 and S14 were top sellers in S@H the entire year

Top sellers on the S@H website are listed in terms of quantity, though, whereas the annual reports focus on revenue.

No modulars? I thought everybody would buy them. Some of these sets are not cheap either.

No modulars? I thought everybody would buy them. Some of these sets are not cheap either.

Modulars are exclusively sold through Lego and are aimed at older kids/adults, both of which probably limit their sales compared to all-ages sets that are sold in most major retailers like City and Friends sets.

Top sellers on the S@H website are listed in terms of quantity, though, whereas the annual reports focus on revenue.

Annual reports also take into account of sales not only from S@H but all other channels like Walmart, Amazon, etc.

Like all things statistics, top sellers doesn't mean anything without knowing the context around which it was obtained or calculated.

To be honest, this list doesn't surprise me much. Friends and Ninjago are both huge hits. Star Wars was bolstered by the tremendous hype around the first new movie in years. City, like always, is one of Lego's most successful themes, and Duplo is, well, Duplo.

As far as the sets are concerned, my biggest surprise would be at the City Police Station from 2014 outselling last year's Swamp Police Station (perhaps its more traditional subject matter is what pushed it over the top). Apart from that you have some of the flagship sets from other successful themes, Mindstorms (which is probably due largely to its use in education), and the Frozen Ice Castle set which, while slightly late to the party, still managed to capitalize on the high demand for all things Frozen.

I am amazed DUplo made top 5. I do not see that many people purchasing it.

I am amazed DUplo made top 5. I do not see that many people purchasing it.

Well, firstly, these results are global—we recently got similar statistics for the U.S. (done through an outside agency) that did not include Duplo among the most successful themes, so perhaps it's less successful here than it is in Europe. Also, Duplo tends to not be on most AFOLs' radar in the first place, so it's much harder for adult fans to get a read on how successful the sets are in the first place.

Well, firstly, these results are global—we recently got similar statistics for the U.S. (done through an outside agency) that did not include Duplo among the most successful themes, so perhaps it's less successful here than it is in Europe. Also, Duplo tends to not be on most AFOLs' radar in the first place, so it's much harder for adult fans to get a read on how successful the sets are in the first place.

Yeah. But I'm also a mom with a 4 year old and a 8 year old, attending the birthday parties, baby showers, etc. and I have been to several parties over the years from age 6 on when almost every gift was a Lego set of some kind. But I have not seen a Duplo set show up yet. I do know that my friend's parents got her kids Duplo once when they were at the Lego store. But her oldest (age 5) has already moved on to Lego Frozen and Lego Elves. We had Dupllo, of course, and suggested it when kids are younger. So I have nothing against it. Just surprised that it would show up in top for revenue.

At age 3 my daughter chose a Duplo food set. By age 4, she chose the Lego Juniors castle and the Palace pets stuff.

Edited by Sarah

Heh heh not surprised by the more traditional Police Station taking a slot.

I love Swamp Police but I even I could tell it wasn't all the cool with the kids here in Japan. I got Swamp Police Station and the Crooks Hideout for half off on the same day at my local store.

The sets worth having from the line up were never officially released in Japan (the Hovercraft Arrest and the Water Plane, both of which I had to import) and I am sure that probably dented perception in regions that were flooded with the rest of Swamp Police but not the coolest sets within it.

Still kudos to the City line for having a top seller!

Well, I did buy the top set for my sister... heh heh. Duplo for my nephew, Friends for my niece and (lots of) Star Wars for me. I'm not surprised by 4 of the top 5 themes, but I never figured Duplo sold so much.

I know the movie got a lot of hype, but that frozen set didn't deserve that place. Also surprised that minecraft is not on there, thought it was more popular.

Yes it did deserve it. It sold in huge numbers.

It's funny you say Frozen didn't deserve to be there, but surprised that minecraft is not on there. Minecraft is a similar brand. Huge following, hugely hyped, and possibly a bit past it these days with the original fans but still a hit with new ones.

I have the feeling the minifigures are not selling like they were back with series 1. There is more competition in the blind poly bag market now for sure, plus I think the novelty has worn off for some people. There is obvisouly still a market, and I personally collect them, but at one stage I was buying a full box, now I'm down to just a set of figures and a couple of extras of my favourites.

I am surprised the Mindstorms set is in the list, I guess the list is based on total revenue generated, and not units sold. Again this could be a reason why the minifigs do not feature.