After skyping with a good friend of mine braker23 he gave me an idea to make A sherp 4x4.

Here's the real deal:

01-sherp.jpg

It took me an hour to make a first protoype in LDD, which you can see here:

Sherp.png

As you can see everything is built around the boat hull, so that the model can also float like the real thing.

And here's the first rough build in the water:

P1210802.JPG

I used track elements wrapped around tumbler wheels to get the paddle shape. I will need 4 more track elements since 2 can fit with ease on each wheel:

P1210803.JPG

Underside you can see the reinforcments keeping the boat hull secured:

P1210804.JPG

So far there are soem problems with 36 tooth gears skipping under high torque which I belive I can fix by using 8L axles with stop instead of current 5,5 ones. If that doesnt help I can always use small turntables.

I also need 4 more tracks, but currently I spent all my money on parts for silverfox and oshkosh 10x10, so these will ahve to wait a bit.

I very surprised on how well this thing floats, but it cannot support much more weight, so the bodywork will have bo light and basic in order to keep it from sinking.

Whats your opinion guys?

Edited by Zblj

I really like the tracks around tumbler wheels idea. Gives a close approximate of the sherp's wheel shape. They might be a bit wider than they should be, but I don't think other wheels at that size would look better.

I have mixed feelings about the boat hull though. It might give good buoyancy, but I feel like it's a bit of a cheat because of the shape :grin:. But hey, if it works, it works!

Looks good so far, really like the track elements around the wheels concept - may need to borrow that. Do the wheels take on water?

I really like the tracks around tumbler wheels idea. Gives a close approximate of the sherp's wheel shape. They might be a bit wider than they should be, but I don't think other wheels at that size would look better.

I have mixed feelings about the boat hull though. It might give good buoyancy, but I feel like it's a bit of a cheat because of the shape :grin:. But hey, if it works, it works!

Well I think the real one has a hull too, granted not shaped as this one. And I plan to cover it up with panels or plates so it will be hidden.

Looks good so far, really like the track elements around the wheels concept - may need to borrow that. Do the wheels take on water?

Well most of the wheels lego makes have a small hole to relase air out of the tyres, so I dont really trust them to float for long periods of time. The hull also has a small hole in the front, to add on that. So this model will probably be good just for short swimming trials.

But it works! :grin:

Great idea about the wheels!

Are those mindstorms tracks or the older ones?

Nice to see this float. It reminds me of Doc's Rollingon.

If I remember correctly his comments about the tires echoed yours - they are fine for a short time, but eventually get filled with water.

Are you making a body?

Edited by BusterHaus

I was thinking of taking apart my 9398 for a clean and a rebuild and I think a Sherp may be in the cards!..

I will probably build this model in the second half of 2016. There are still some parts I need like the tracks and meanwhile I can work on digital version.