CM4Sci

71040 The Disney Castle Discussion

On 11/25/2016 at 8:52 PM, GoldenNinja3000 said:

Just started reading this topic because I'll be getting the castle in the next few months and I'm super excited! For anyone that's bought it, how long did it take to build? 

Having just finished it, took me about three days; two six hour days, and one that ended up being a 12 hour day. So expect to sink a fair bit of time if you have to constantly start and stop.

Of course, I'm not used to super intensive build periods, so I was probably not being very efficient. The first "third" was the easiest for me, since working with big pieces is always faster. Once it got to the smaller bits it took more time, especially on correcting any mistakes.

It's such a great set, though. Hopefully there will be another Disney-esque D2C set; all things considered, I'm not that into Pirates, so if that's what the next one is, I'll probably skip it. Totally down for another CMF line though!

I was curious if any of you have actual pictures of the lights and how you ran the wires?  If so could you post?  TIA

Finally got the set for Christmas. Took me 8 hours to build it. Only problem is, my Lego storage is running low on capacity, so I had to put the thing on the very top shelf of my closet (I am 6' 3" and this shelf is still higher than me! Castle looks really tall on top of that), far out of reach. I am really bummed since in its current display state I can't get to the interior easily without slowly moving the entire model off the high shelf. A part of me thinks I need to get it onto a table and then arrange the modular buildings in front of it to create a bit of a Main Street USA type of look...

Edited by xboxtravis7992

24 minutes ago, blackshark3 said:

Saw a guy in China had modified the "Disney Castle" to become a whole castle, wonder anyone did the same?

Below is the link. Though most contents are in Mainland Chinese, the photos says it all.

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4866649658

BTW the brand of brick he used is not the focus here

That is really impressive work that he did....really is pretty faithful to the real deal. 

On January 1, 2017 at 9:39 AM, Freakshow said:

Any idea on when the best time to buy this would be? any double VIPs coming soon? or maybe wait for that Batman polybag?

Pretty sure double VIP points will be coming in March again, so I'm waiting for that before I buy this set. 

9 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

Pretty sure double VIP points will be coming in March again, so I'm waiting for that before I buy this set. 

Okay cool! thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely wait till then.

Hello everybody!

I have finally build this wonderful set! 

Now I would like to put some led, it is good the Power Function 8870? I don't know how exactly work; I have to buy also a 88000 or 8881? 

Please, be patient, it is the first time for me, thanks :) 

1 minute ago, Robert8 said:

The LEGO Disney Castle won the Toy of the Year Award :classic:

That is very good news! I hope because of this, they will come with more sets like this.

Well deserved! This set was definitely the best thing to come out of 2016.:grin:

By the way, for anyone interested in lighting their castle, keep an eye on this thread as Brickstuff is working on a lighting kit for this set and it's already looking promising! This be the first Lego lighting kit I'll be interested in purchasing!:sweet:

Just spotted on Brickset that it states the castle's availability on Lego.com in the UK as '23 Sep 16 - 24 Apr 17'.  As this set will take some saving up for I'm now worried this means it has already or will be soon discontinued.  On Lego.com it says 'Back orders accepted, will ship by 16 May'.  Can anyone tell me what this means please?  Does it just say what it says on Brickset because it's currently out of stock or is this set actually being discontinued?  It's only been available since September which doesn't seem long at all for what seems to be a very popular set.  Confused!  Thanks :-)

No fears! This set is absolutely not being discontinued at this time. D2C sets have an average lifespan of two years, and extremely popular ones like the Disney Castle can (and most likely will) stay around for a longer time than that. 

As for the back order label; its simply on back order. Lego apparently has low stock at the moment, but will evidently have more availabile to ship and sell on the 16th. 

6 minutes ago, Captain Nemo said:

No fears! This set is absolutely not being discontinued at this time. D2C sets have an average lifespan of two years, and extremely popular ones like the Disney Castle can (and most likely will) stay around for a longer time than that. 

As for the back order label; its simply on back order. Lego apparently has low stock at the moment, but will evidently have more availabile to ship and sell on the 16th. 

Phew, thank you so much!  That bit on Brickset totally confused me and I started to panic!  I have two big sets at the top of my wish list already so I'm glad I can push this to number 3 now and not panic that I'll run out of time :-)

Are there any people who have modified 2 castles into one? I've been searching for it online, but couldn't find anyone who tried to modify it other than putting in some lights and/or putting it on a baseplate with some layout. 

On 5/16/2017 at 1:45 PM, Kevii23 said:

Are there any people who have modified 2 castles into one? I've been searching for it online, but couldn't find anyone who tried to modify it other than putting in some lights and/or putting it on a baseplate with some layout. 

I bought two but never got around to making the attempt. :(

I'm quite late to the party, but I finally finished building my Disney Castle / Cinderella's (WDW) Castle.

It was a great build. I took my time with it (and had to put it away a few times due to guests, etc since I build at the dining room table). It's impressively sized, but I was a little ... disappointed by how thin / narrow the upper floors are. I was hoping for more room to display the Disney CMF series within the castle.  The small rooms are pretty well take up by furnishings.

The level of detailing on the façade continually impressed me, even if some of it got a little repetitive to build.

I really hope that Lego is considering releasing the Disneyland LA / Sleeping Beauty's Castle as well. Heck, I'd buy an entire Main Street and assorted rides, but it seems best to just focus on the other iconic castle at this time.