CM4Sci

71040 The Disney Castle Discussion

Looks like there will be a second D2C next year - this number is up on a site we all know 

Maybe it's the rumored POTC set? There's no Disney CMF series next year as far as we know, so it wouldn't make much sense to release a second non-movie-specific Disney D2C without an accompanying CMF series :wink:

Just now, Lego-Freak said:

Maybe it's the rumored POTC set? There's no Disney CMF series next year as far as we know, so it wouldn't make much sense to release a second non-movie-specific Disney D2C without an accompanying CMF series :wink:

Ah! Very well could be, I hadn't thought of that. 

55 minutes ago, CM4Sci said:

Looks like there will be a second D2C next year - this number is up on a site we all know 

Could it be a Batman or Ninjago Movie D2C?

17 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Could it be a Batman or Ninjago Movie D2C?

I'm gonna go with the Pirates set. 

25 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Not all of the Disney minifigures were represented in the Disney Castle.  I'm guessing since the numbers 71042 follow the Castle's 71040 that maybe it will have something to do with Peter Pan.   Or maybe even Alice in Wonderland.  

But I wont complain if it's a new POTC ship either.  

Either way, my heart skipped a beat when I read the post.  I love this site!  

I don't think this is a Disney set, since there won't be a Disney CMF series next year.

1 hour ago, CM4Sci said:

Hey wait

What about 71041? 

Maybe that's a deeply secretive set finally containing Cinderella?  Maybe even a polybag?  Yeah yeah - that's it!  It's Cindy in a pumpkin riding to the ball.  Or not, haha.  

Ok seriously, does LEGO follow some rule where they have to put out a CMF series before a set?   And do the sets always follow in numerical order?  

If it is a POTC set, I wonder if there is a slight chance it will also relate to the original Pirates of the Caribbean theme park ride in some way or another... That way it could both reference the movie coming out, and go together with the castle!!

Okay maybe not... Can't blame me for dreaming though!

Went to the local Lego store today hoping they had some in stock. Walked in and nada. Asked one of the workers and he said they had 2 in the back so I was able to snag one. After he brought it out, other people in the store looked at me like I had some rare piece of history, pointing and whispering. Anyway we are happy as it will end up in our daughter's room.

The case I had made is finished, and we are picking it up tomorrow. I moved the castle to allow for the base to be placed, and made a couple of small adjustments in the process.

Having the book and glass slipper hidden away has always bugged me. Luckily, two empty window spaces gave themselves willingly to display these two items. Everything sits nicely inside the frames, so no chance of anything falling out though the book may shift a bit over time with ground vibration.

First up, the book. this in a window in the tallest tower, not the one with the tall gold spire but the one next to it.. I took the tile out and attached it to a "snowman body" with studs on all sides and the top. a gold jumper plate, two 2x2 trans-clears and another gold jumper plate allowed the book cover to sit nicely at the right height. I used two gold round tiles to hide the other two studs on the bottom.

P1040296.jpg

P1040295.jpg

second was the slipper and its case. this was simple to do. this is a lower window right next to the storage space. a simple 4x4 brick to boost the case up a bit, and shes done!

P1040298.jpg

P1040297.jpg

apologies if the images are too large. just let me know and i can shrink the originals and re-do this post.

Edited by sunhuntin

Hello everyone! First post here. Just wanted to share this ongoing project of mine. I wanted to add some lights to it! I was inspired by some of the other posts here and from brickstuff.com light setup. This kinda gets technical...I had to learn a lot about LEDs, LED light strips, soldering, wire gauges, etc.... I made a base to hide the wiring and used a shadow box I bought from Michael's craft store and added some alternative (cheaper) lego baseplates that I cut to fit the shadow box. I also added a "lazy susan" so the whole thing could spin and even added something called a SPLIT RING so I could have the lights plugged to an outlet while I rotated the base (i found out its what they use for carrousels and windmills). You could also get LED light strips that are battery operated to avoid the hassle of the lazy-suzan split ring thing...It took many hours/days trying to figure out the placement of the lights and how to run the wires. I had to remove some bricks and added some that had holes in them to run the wires-thank goodness for LEGO store pick a brick.  I know u can also buy them on other websites like brick link. I also added the wall around the castle to hide the LED light strip. The light strip is cool because it changes colors. Here is the almost final project (going to add characters around the castle next). I think it turned out ok!!! Enjoy!

IMG_1207_zpsd0ysdszq.jpg

IMG_1213_zpstj6znnd0.jpg

IMG_1221_zpss42vagof.jpg

IMG_1222_zpssz5imu8z.jpg

IMG_1225_zpsjrczqj2r.jpg

IMG_1227_zpsdoh5g6pd.jpg

IMG_1231_zpskq0y0qwl.jpg

IMG_1236_zps3eixa1jy.jpg

IMG_1238_zpsgevwa7nn.jpg

IMG_1247_zpsyw3bdaai.jpg

Edited by kingukulit

Wow. All these castles are looking great. King, I like what you did. The 1st things that I added were brickstuff lights to the lamps and a flickering light inside the stove. Unfortunately, I broke the connection tip for the lamps and I'm not about to tear it down to run another wire through the set. I'm hoping to find someone someday who can reconnect it. As far as the fire, I replaced the orange brick with some orange and red transparent studs with the bulb inside.

Now I think I may have stumbled upon the next major display. Has anyone seen or tried out this unit that's available now at Lowes yet?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Disney-LightShow-Multi-Function-Multicolor-LED-Fireworks-Christmas-Spotlight-Projector/1000110329

I think/hope this could make a huge impression on an already great set. Keep up the great looks everybody. It helps inspire me to try new things.

Those lights are really nicely done!

The lightshow projector looks interesting.  Hopefully it has the desired effect.

Got the case for my castle yesterday, and put it all together today. Because the manufacturer provded a base, I had to shorten the top steeple by about 2 studs, removing the round stud and then pushing the spikey bit down into the cone.

Wow that's incredible... That makes me want to get the set even more, except I can never do what you've done! Well done that looks so realistic! 

On 11/1/2016 at 1:31 PM, kingukulit said:

Hello everyone! First post here. Just wanted to share this ongoing project of mine. I wanted to add some lights to it! I was inspired by some of the other posts here and from brickstuff.com light setup. This kinda gets technical...I had to learn a lot about LEDs, LED light strips, soldering, wire gauges, etc.... I made a base to hide the wiring and used a shadow box I bought from Michael's craft store and added some alternative (cheaper) lego baseplates that I cut to fit the shadow box. I also added a "lazy susan" so the whole thing could spin and even added something called a SPLIT RING so I could have the lights plugged to an outlet while I rotated the base (i found out its what they use for carrousels and windmills). You could also get LED light strips that are battery operated to avoid the hassle of the lazy-suzan split ring thing...It took many hours/days trying to figure out the placement of the lights and how to run the wires. I had to remove some bricks and added some that had holes in them to run the wires-thank goodness for LEGO store pick a brick.  I know u can also buy them on other websites like brick link. I also added the wall around the castle to hide the LED light strip. The light strip is cool because it changes colors. Here is the almost final project (going to add characters around the castle next). I think it turned out ok!!! Enjoy!

@kingukulit

is there any way you could provide instructions with how you've done your lighting please. I really want to try it.

Edited by Captain Nemo
Please do not quote pictures

I've just purchased the lego castle, if I wanted to do something similar with LEDs etc to the photos above where would you advise to start reading up?

Thanks

hello, 

it was a long process and alot of watching youtube on soldering and learning about volts and amps and obviously led light strips. 

look these up on amazon:

2835 warm led light strip
30 awg pvc coated wrapping wire
5050 rgb light strip

ill try to post more pictures of where the wires go and the actual base to hide all the wires underneath the castle...

it might be much easier to get led light strips with a battery or where u can usb version u can plug into a usb battery...

Just started reading this topic because I'll be getting the castle in the next few months and I'm super excited! For anyone that's bought it, how long did it take to build? 

37 minutes ago, Monkey Joe said:

I was hoping this would be on sale this time of year, but cheapest I can find is for US$349.00

I'm sorry to say that it's probably not likely that you'll be able to find this set brand new cheaper than that. Not during the holidays especially. Maybe afterwards. ;)

Has anyone removed some tiles from the top of the bottom half and replaced with studded plates? We had a big earthquake a few weeks ago, and I have just noticed the top half has come unstuck on one side, moved forwards and now sits on an angle. Lucky it is in a case, otherwise it may well have hit the floor.

As to build time, I had plans on drawing it out over 2 weeks, but ended up finishing in about 6 days. That was just doing a couple of hours at a time, taking my time to align edges and making sure everything was pressed together properly. Had I sat down and just gone for it, I think it could have been done in a day or two.