CM4Sci

71040 The Disney Castle Discussion

Forgive me for nit picking, but it's actually "Cinderella Castle" not "Cinderella's Castle". Just thought that might help justify why there is no Cinderella in the set.

Its official name is 'The Disney Castle'. No Cinderella except for the references in the kitchen vignette and the glass slipper.

Its official name is 'The Disney Castle'. No Cinderella except for the references in the kitchen vignette and the glass slipper.

It's a little confusing, but from what I can follow in the preceding posts, they are referring to the Lego set as 'Cinderella Castle' because the set is modeled after 'Cinderella Castle' in Disney World, and not the movie intro castle often referred to as 'Disney Castle' which is a hybrid of both the 'Cinderella Castle' and the 'Sleeping Beauty Castle' in Disneyland.... So technically, the actual name of the Lego set is incorrect... Which is what the whole conversation was referring to... Not that they were mistaken in the actual set name that Lego is using for the set. Even after typing this, I'm still confused somewhat.

It's a little confusing, but from what I can follow in the preceding posts, they are referring to the Lego set as 'Cinderella Castle' because the set is modeled after 'Cinderella Castle' in Disney World, and not the movie intro castle often referred to as 'Disney Castle' which is a hybrid of both the 'Cinderella Castle' and the 'Sleeping Beauty Castle' in Disneyland.... So technically, the actual name of the Lego set is incorrect... Which is what the whole conversation was referring to... Not that they were mistaken in the actual set name that Lego is using for the set. Even after typing this, I'm still confused somewhat.

Edited by Oafley Jones

Sorry that I "restarted" the confusion. (Saying it is the one showed in the intro of the movies ... )

For me it is THE Disney Castle and I really like how it looks like.

I think there is enough place for future Minifigures from Disney!

And it is great that Tinkerbell is in the set!

How are you confused? The castle is Cinderella Castle from WDW's Magic Kingdom. There is absolutely no doubt of this. There are photographs of the actual castle in the set. Part of the reveal was shot on location.

Some people think this is the same castle as the non existent castle which is attached to movies. It isn't.

Geez, don't people read. I'm confused over their conversation, not what the castle is modeled after.

The MF Haunted House looks tiny compared to the Disney Castle

I actually thought it made the Haunted House look bigger. It's not all that far off from the Castle.

I actually thought it made the Haunted House look bigger. It's not all that far off from the Castle.

A great coincidence seeing that one of the most iconic theme park rides at Disneyland and Disney Worlds is well, a Haunted Mansion! The Lego Haunted House does have a bit of a family resemblance to the Disney ride, particularly the Disneyland Paris version known as the Phantom Manor. Actually it is really freaky how close the Lego set DOES look like the Disneyland Paris ride. Seeing how close Denmark is to Paris (relatively speaking) , could it have been the inspiration?

Edited by xboxtravis7992

Lol just had a thought. What if Marvel gets a D2C this coming year and its the new ride that is going to be in Disneyland :grin: :grin: How awesome would that be!?

Anyways I'm really hoping to get the castle but I think that I'm going to hold off until another 2x the points comes around.

Also has anyone Bricklinked Tink? It's super scary :sceptic:

I finally was able to get my Disney Castle finished and put the Eiffel Tower next to it for size comparison. As a bonus I threw in the Haunted House too.

Great picture. Eiffel Tower seems to dwarf The Disney Castle though, not to mention Haunted House. Still, The Castle seems to be the most interesting build of the three and it's certainly the best looking one.

You should change your name to "Nitpicker89"!

Sorry, just trying to be cute, but the truth is that I can actually out-nitpick you: Let it be known that the name of this set be "71040 Disney Castle" with no article whatsoever.

Ha! Curious to see how anyone will improve on that.

Touché Brick Dangerous. I wasn't trying to be petty, and I didn't mean to add to superfluous discussion. We all know what set we're talking about here. And it is a great one! I really like the pic of the MF house, castle, and Eiffel Tower (I know those aren't the official names lol). I never realized how big the Eiffel Tower set is.

I finally was able to get my Disney Castle finished and put the Eiffel Tower next to it for size comparison. As a bonus I threw in the Haunted House too.

LEGO size comparisons by Jason Tang, on Flickr

I like that you didn't use the stickers. I just noticed now, and it looks great without them.

So what, if anything, do you think TLG should do about the scalpers? Search "Lego Disney castle" on eBay and you'll see dozens of listings of this set at $450 to $1800. I don't mind of someone wants to buy one or two and then flip it for a profit, but some of these people are hoarding them (one listing has a picture of 18 sets!). Either the 2-set limit isn't working, or they're buying from each other.

Anyway, this is going to make the supply issues worse when TLG eventually has more in stock...I'd say the solution is to dedicate more production capacity to the set to "flood the market" and remove the incentive for the scalpers until the set is closer to retirement, but they can't do that without wrecking their plans for the next year. So do they start tracking shipping addresses to tighten up the buying limit? Reduce it to 1 set per customer to at least make it more tedious to stockpile?

So what, if anything, do you think TLG should do about the scalpers? Search "Lego Disney castle" on eBay and you'll see dozens of listings of this set at $450 to $1800. I don't mind of someone wants to buy one or two and then flip it for a profit, but some of these people are hoarding them (one listing has a picture of 18 sets!). Either the 2-set limit isn't working, or they're buying from each other.

Anyway, this is going to make the supply issues worse when TLG eventually has more in stock...I'd say the solution is to dedicate more production capacity to the set to "flood the market" and remove the incentive for the scalpers until the set is closer to retirement, but they can't do that without wrecking their plans for the next year. So do they start tracking shipping addresses to tighten up the buying limit? Reduce it to 1 set per customer to at least make it more tedious to stockpile?

I would think Lego would want large sets like this to be scarce in order to increase hype and demand for the sets they do produce. If they flood the market, it could result in less sales as people may not buy them up as quickly since there is no sense of urgency. In a sick twisted way, scalpers are actually helping them sell out of these sets as soon as stores receive new shipments.

In my country there is 1 set for each "household" but I don't know if they are really controlling it.

I think it is crazy that they are sold so expensive although they haven't been released for more than some weeks. I don't understand why anyone buys such a set for more money than shown on the official page of the producer?

I would think Lego would want large sets like this to be scarce in order to increase hype and demand for the sets they do produce. If they flood the market, it could result in less sales as people may not buy them up as quickly since there is no sense of urgency. In a sick twisted way, scalpers are actually helping them sell out of these sets as soon as stores receive new shipments.

I would agree, except there's the possibility actual fans will feel alienated and stop even trying to get lucky and find the set in stock because the scalpers buy them up so quickly. The long-term damage to customer goodwill could be worse than the lost sales. It's why performing artists hate ticket scalping - they're not happy their concert sold out when potential long-term fans can't get in. They have tools specifically designed to prevent it.

The best solution would be for no one to buy from the scalpers, which might happen if TLG could tell us when more sets will be in stock...the only reason I can see for people to pay a 50% or more premium on a set that's so early in its life is fear of not being able to get one in time for Christmas...

Do you think it will run out or will they still making it, or like the 41999?

Daniel.

Definitely still making it. 41999 was very deliberately a limited edition set with a set number of copies released. This set is no such thing—like most other D2C sets, it seems to be designed with a several year lifespan in mind and will likely remain available for at least two to three years (maybe longer, if sales continue to exceed expectations).