CM4Sci

71040 The Disney Castle Discussion

I'm gonna have to wait for another double VIPs to get this. Hopefully that's not too far away, even though we just had one.

Just picked this up a little while ago. Very excited to start building. It did seem smaller than what I was expecting when looking at the display model. Store had 20 of them at opening. Sold about 8 of them to customers waiting at the doors they said. I got there about 30 minutes after opening and 4 more were sold as my kids looked around. Seven left after I bought mine. Would not be surprised at all if most of the brick and mortar Lego stores were sold out by closing.

Edited by Cmay91472

I was planning to go right after work but I just called the two of the three Toronto stores that I can get to easily by transit and they're both already sold out. The one at Fairview said they sold out 5 minutes after opening this morning! So I had to order online where they're still available. A bit more of a wait but at least I'm guaranteed one.

Someone here with deep wallets needs to buy 2 plus any extra parts needed and connect them to make a full looking castle.

Agreed haha, but who's going to want to spend $700 for two?

Maybe some people will, but that's $700...

Incidentally, for anyone intending to buy two castles in order to place them back to back--do note the castle is asymmetrical...as in it won't work without tremendous effort! :wink:

That would be an expensive mistake!

Someone here with deep wallets needs to buy 2 plus any extra parts needed and connect them to make a full looking castle.

Perhaps the member who bought four Spidey bridge battles and combined them will take on the challenge.

That's my goal...I just got one. Will get another one at some point.

Perhaps the member who bought four Spidey bridge battles and combined them will take on the challenge.

Haha maybe I will. Still in doubt..

Just noticed from Brick show review - perfect use of Whitch King crown piece in redish brown on the lamps (on the sides of main entrance)§ Great entrance hall and tiled floor, but all the same its trully expansive.. :/

I just purchased this set.. I'm not even a huge Disney fan but I think this would lake great with a train circling around during the Holidays. It also seems like a set that will be purchased fast, scalped incredibly, and possibly very valuable in the long run. I could be wrong, Lego could be producing this set in enough quantity, but judging by how fast those Disney CMFs went, and how Disney items are highly collectable, I think this set might be scarce often.

Just got an advertisement for it in the mail, a one page brochure. Of course it wasn't addressed to me, it was addressed to my mother... Lego seems to be making a huge marketing push for this.

Seeing that mix with the kitchen made me think we could get Ariel in human form (as Disney Princess) for the series 2 instead of Cinderella as maid

Ordered mine this morning! Can't wait for it to get here. Was hoping since I ordered so early this morning it would ship today but it doesn't look like it. Hopefully tomorrow!

Ordered mine this morning! Can't wait for it to get here. Was hoping since I ordered so early this morning it would ship today but it doesn't look like it. Hopefully tomorrow!

I ordered mine this morning at 7:10am and got shipment notification around 2pm. Should have it sometimes tomorrow! Hopefully yours ships tonight/tomorrow. :)

I ordered mine this morning at 7:10am and got shipment notification around 2pm. Should have it sometimes tomorrow! Hopefully yours ships tonight/tomorrow. :)

Wow thats great! Did you use the free standard shipping or did you pay extra? Ordered mine around 8:20 am CST and it's still sitting at "In Warehouse"....whatever the heck that means.

Just got an advertisement for it in the mail, a one page brochure. Of course it wasn't addressed to me, it was addressed to my mother... Lego seems to be making a huge marketing push for this.

I got the advertisement too. I did not expect Lego to release a ad like this for this set. I was surprised they did not have a ad for the Disney minifigure series in it too

I'm gonna have to wait for another double VIPs to get this. Hopefully that's not too far away, even though we just had one.

That's the advice I was given, wait until double VIP points are offered. It's killing me though. My little lego addicted brain keeps saying the castle might sell out before they offer double points again because the Disney minifigures went so fast. But then on the other hand, this is a pricey set so maybe it wont.

Then again, there is the rumor they are going to re-issue the Disney minifigures next month with the official launch of the castle. If that happens then I am pretty well assured we "might" have a longer run with the castle.

Being a newbie AFOL, I am deferring to the expert opinion given here. Wait and save some money.

But, being an addicted Lego AFOL, I also might cave in next month and get the set.

What I think is really needed is a Lego Addict Anonymous Group. "Hi, my name is 'insert name here' and I am an addict." We can hold interventions and have meetings. Make little lego donuts and serve coffee from Lego cups. Hopefully keep people from taking out second mortgages to buy the multitudes of fantastic Lego sets offered each year. But I digress and don't want to anger the message board edit gods so I'll leave that for another thread.

A smarter idea would be to find out how many castles Lego is deciding to sell. I can never get a straight answer when I call the Lego sales representatives. It's like trying to figure out who killed JFK. Does anyone here ever remember an expensive set being so popular it sold out within six months?

If you REALLY want the set and don't want to chance it being sold out when double VIP points eventually rolls around again, then (at least to me) an EXTRA $17.50 US dollars worth of reward points on top of the $17.50 worth of points you will already be getting off of a $350 set shouldn't make or break your decision. If you are just on the fence, then yes the extra points could sway someone. But you're still getting $17.50 in reward dollars regardless and will be able to satisfy that "Lego addict" impulse we all have as AFOL.

If you REALLY want the set and don't want to chance it being sold out when double VIP points eventually rolls around again, then (at least to me) an EXTRA $17.50 US dollars worth of reward points on top of the $17.50 worth of points you will already be getting off of a $350 set shouldn't make or break your decision. If you are just on the fence, then yes the extra points could sway someone. But you're still getting $17.50 in reward dollars regardless and will be able to satisfy that "Lego addict" impulse we all have as AFOL.

Cmay summed it up pretty well for you BrickOCD. At the end of the day you have to decide what $17.50 means to you, is it really a quantity of money to keep you from the set you want a lot and the risk of missing out on it?

Got my copy yesterday, just a couple minutes after my local Lego Store opened. They sold around a dozen or so more castles while I was in line for the checkout. I don't think I've ever seen a set fly off shelves like this; and it's especially impressive considering the price of this one.

This was one of the most enjoyable large builds I've ever done. There was a lot of repetition of small things, but since each one didn't use very many pieces, I didn't mind. There were however many instances where I wanted to high-five Marcos Bessa and the design team, because very creative and satisfying building techniques were used. I found myself saying "Wow, this looks awesome!", many times during the build.

While the Ghostbusters HQ feels a bit small considering it has 4600 pieces (mostly due to the double thick walls), this castle despite having 600 fewer pieces looks far more impressive (which is no small feat, as the GB HQ is massive and looks great). Minifigures shouldn't be a deciding factor when you have a castle that looks this great. It will be frustrating when I put this up on a shelf to display it, as I'll constantly want to take it off again so that I can poke around with the detailed interior. Luckily the castle can conveniently split apart into 3 sections (the main floor/mains walls, the 2-4th floor the tower), making it easier to transport.

A note about the big grey front walls: these are built up of A LOT of pieces and have quite an involved build. Sure the big panel pieces could have been made up of individual bricks, but then the cost would likely go up even more. I never felt like big pieces were being over-used in this set; most of its size comes from the use of regular bricks.

I'm super happy that this set exists. I'm really impressive with it. Love it!

Ok fine. You are right. I want the set and frugality be danged! I am assuming you think this set might not last long either?

Cmay summed it up pretty well for you BrickOCD. At the end of the day you have to decide what $17.50 means to you, is it really a quantity of money to keep you from the set you want a lot and the risk of missing out on it?

What do you think about the longevity of this set? That's the real kicker for me.

UPDATE: just talked to the Lego manager at my local store - the castle sold out in 15 minutes (21 sets) but she feels that TLG would be crazy not to have enough sets to make it through the Christmas season.

AND YET, ANOTHER UPDATE: Called Lego customer service. They are so good at their jobs. Needless to say - I bought the castle. Ended up getting an addition 400 VIP points because of a damaged 76052 box so it offset the double VIP points. My head is swimming lol. The only drawback to having purchased it now is that there is no promotional item included.

I knew this would be a popular set. The Lego VIP community seems to be decimating stockpiles everywhere. Just think what will happen when the non-FOL Disney fans start buying. If I'd had the finances, I'd have been at the Downtown Disney Lego Store with my card upon their opening the day this was released. I have some rewards points saved up.