Sign in to follow this  
Renderbricks

LEGO® Executor - MOC by Fox Hound

Hello,

I am back to rendering LEGO. It's addictive. It's fun. Especially when I recognized this insane masterpiece by Fox Hound. This might be an ultimative render stress test.

I got in touch with him. Her kindly wanted to pass me the LDD for free but sorry - 1.000 hours of work like that has deserved a buy on Ebay.

I was pretty surprised about the performance in LDD after loading one 35.000 bricks part. I was more surprised how fast Mecabricks imported the LDD file. Unfortunately some parts are missing there. Will be fixed soon ... hopefully. Mecabricks can import the full model at the end but there are some glitches and Chrome crashes what was a challange for my patience. But finally after one hour I had moved the parts together and exported each part and imported 71.000 bricks (instances mainly) into MODO incl. LEGO logos. This took just a few minutes. I had to set the viewport to bounding boxes and here we go.

Click on image for link to hi-res version. Click to zoom. Enjoy!

4K - 1h 16m on i7-410MQ

RB0009_Super_Star_Destroyer_v02_CamB_4K.jpg

RB0009_Super_Star_Destroyer_v03_CamF_4K.jpg

8K - 4h 51m on XEON E5-2620 v2

RB0009_Super_Star_Destroyer_v02_CamC_8K.jpg

RB0009_Super_Star_Destroyer_v03_CamE_8K.jpg

Edited by virtualrepublic

Great Job! Looking forward to see engine renders.

How many polygon count in MODO of 71K pcs incl. LEGO logos? 35K pcs without LEGO logos in blender have 10M polygons.

Great Job! Looking forward to see engine renders.

How many polygon count in MODO of 71K pcs incl. LEGO logos? 35K pcs without LEGO logos in blender have 10M polygons.

Here it's 67.533.174 with LEGO logos :-)

Here it's 67.533.174 with LEGO logos :-)

Wow! LEGO logos on stud took about 47 millions triangles? But most of them are hidden. Do MODO have a function to delete all invisible polygons to speed up renders without reduce render quality?

Edited by bbqqq

Wow! LEGO logos on stud took about 47 millions triangles? But most of them are hidden. Do MODO have a function to delete all invisible polygons to speed up renders without reduce render quality?

A renderer will always just render what's visible but finally you need the complete model depending on what you want to do with it. This LEGO models has of course a lot of models inside which would just make sense when you let the ship explode. To clean this up would take a lot fo time not worth it if you ask me. It would speed up the performance in the viewport but not really the render speed. The geometry is splitted into main meshes and instances what saves a lot of memory. Instance support was a very important feature I asked Srubs for when I was talking about rendering features with him in 2014.

Update: I completed the model and changed some colors for a closer look to the original movie version. The rear view looks pretty awesome.

Awesome!!!!

BTW: There are some errors in the links, that are applied to the fotos!

Can you recheck. They should be fixed. Thanks! :-)