Hi mateys, long time no sea see,

ok, I promise this is my last ship this month. It's also my sixth FB this month, so if you like her, I'd much appreciate your approval thumbup.gif

Now, since it's still winter, please prepare for the lamest pun this season:

Let there be... Snow!

25085613920_dbe2a83826_c.jpg

The 'Zephyr' is a trading vessel like many to be found sailing the seas crewed and commanded by proud Oleanders. She is in her best years and far travelled, having sovereignly mastered the challenging conditions of the Merlonic Sea as well as those of the Great Northern Ocean. Although not the fastest, she is nonetheless a versatile vessel, spacy and reliable. All of these attributes make her famous especially among merchants from Oleon's northern provinces, such as Bothnia, who foremost need save transportation of the huge amounts of agricultural goods growing in these fertile lands.

The 'Zephyr' is named after the God of the Western Winds, the gentlest wind, worshipped as the messenger of spring. It's a wisely chosen, fitting name, as she, too, brings fertility and growth along to her ports of destination. Now her new home is the Sea of Storms. May the 'Zephyr' also master these waters and bring prosperity to wherever she drops anchor.

25355069466_74e0da63d0_c.jpg

24750629374_33b9d8edd9_c.jpg

25091408590_4bb65c289f_c.jpg

Here, again, next to the ever-so-puny IFS

25381234315_ed69b1cc98_c.jpg

Last, but not least, the God of the Western Winds himself, well, as a figure head

25013631269_23bb7b7562_c.jpg

about:

Now, the 'Zephyr' might not be a fast ship, but her construction sure had to be speed boat ship build, as I only had yesterday and today to build her from scratch. Ok, after more than 15h of construction time I copied most of the sails from another ship, as making new ones would have cost me another day I think. Also, sorry if there's not a lot of details around, I would have added more crew members, but time was of the essence.

Anyway, with this ship I was going for a rather plain looking workhorse. Nothing fancy, not very fast, simply a cargo ship that looks reliable, one that will get 'things done'. I tried to go with as little tumblehome as I could stand, a dull prow and no sleek hull. Might not sound like a difficult undertaking. But building her wasn't 'gentle' at all, rather one of those builds where no angle worked out right, I constantly had to adjust, and the paintjob was a huge pain. Well, now she's finished, and I'm growing quite fond of the design. Not my best work, but also not bad.

Thanks for enduring my dreadful vessels this month!

C&C welcome!

Vive le Roi!

Edited by Kolonialbeamter

Another fine ship! Now all you need to do is build a shipyard so we can see where all these ships are coming from. Also since you build digitally, you could easily alter the color scheme on these should you wish to sell a ship to another faction.... I approve! thumbup.gif

I really like her, and the figurehead looks really cool! 6 FBs? Man, that deserves an approval :thumbup:

I approve :thumbup: I especially like the look of her stern. Any chance of getting a close up of her from behind?

man, you're hammering out one amazing piece after another, wish you'd build them for real though to see if things still work out the way you had concieved them. Anyway, I definetely approve!

The stern is very nice. And good lame joke. I would not know it was a snow unless you told it, because I don't know ships that well. So I learned something, and it is a good example of a snow as far as I can tell. I like it, and I approve. :thumbup:

Great work putting this excellent ship together in such a short time! With my limited knowledge of sailing ships I think it looks very well proportioned and with a suitable level of details. What is the significance of the croissant in the hand of the figurehead...?

In character: With the blessings of Poseidon this ship will surely aid in bringing home the treasures of the new world, for the glory of the Gods and for the glory of mighty Oleon!

Wow, you really are cranking them out, but the quality isn't suffering! Good shape, lots of deck space, and I love the stern. I approve!

Very nice! You are really cranking out the vessels. You made it look good without any tumblehome, which is rare indeed.

But I did not get your pun... pirate_cry4.gif

The Zephyr is a snow-rigged vessel.

Another fine ship! Now all you need to do is build a shipyard so we can see where all these ships are coming from. Also since you build digitally, you could easily alter the color scheme on these should you wish to sell a ship to another faction.... I approve! thumbup.gif

I approve also, but I think the masts are spread too far apart.

To Mike's comment, we need to see the shipyard so we can raid it to keep all those Oleon ships from spawning!!!! But more seriously, I think we would have to limit that only one ship at a time can be represented by a digital MOC, even in different color schemes, just like brick built MOCs.

I added another picture of the stern to the first post.

Thanks to all of you for your continued support and comments, the Colonial Minions also send their regards to you.

Any chance of getting a close up of her from behind?

Done!

man, you're hammering out one amazing piece after another, wish you'd build them for real though to see if things still work out the way you had concieved them.

Just burning through my vacation days. Work pace will be back to normal in March. Plus, I would have preferred not to build that many ships, for I'd like to work on other ideas as well. But it was just necessary, simply because you guys in Eslandola and the Corries even more are pacing ahead, and in Oleon we don't have more than a handfull of MCRA participants...

What is the significance of the croissant in the hand of the figurehead...?

In character: With the blessings of Poseidon this ship will surely aid in bringing home the treasures of the new world, for the glory of the Gods and for the glory of mighty Oleon!

Amen to that!

Well, I googled 'Zephyr' for pictures (not the bike :pir-grin:), and the guy is mostly depicted with some sort of 'bag' bringing fruitful riches or whatnot. Well, and there's only so many parts resembling that shape in white. Plus, aren't we sort of Frenchies? :pir-wink:

Great looking ship! Now build it in brick! :pir-grin:

No can do, Captain. There will be better :pir-wink:

Now all you need to do is build a shipyard so we can see where all these ships are coming from.

Sure thing, on it, two even! And if you go through my previous ships' description (one in particular) you'll find a pretty accurate description of one already. Plus, if you really dig into this info, you can even find out what it will look like :pir-wink:

Also since you build digitally, you could easily alter the color scheme on these should you wish to sell a ship to another faction.

I think we would have to limit that only one ship at a time can be represented by a digital MOC, even in different color schemes, just like brick built MOCs.

Well, if you do digital building to match brick building, changing the colors just doesn't do it. Parts don't come in all colors, so changing the paint job actually requires the ship to be structurally altered. At least this is a rule I tie myself to fanatically (except for the sails, since those would be canvas in real). For example, the lower hull (the white part) couldn't be done in reddish brown, since hinge bricks don't exist in this color. And if I alter the structure, it will differ from the previous MOC. Also, I'd have to invest time. And if time is considered the 'common currency' of both brick building and digital building, then, well it is a new MOC.

It's a follow up question then, to evaluate this MOC. Does it deserve to enter this game. But well, the same would be true if I just took a prefab hull and threw some bricks at it, calling it a ship.

In both cases our 'Brethren Code' would just not allow us to do so :pir-wink: And no, the code is not 'more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules' :pir-grin:

Well, if you do digital building to match brick building, changing the colors just doesn't do it. Parts don't come in all colors, so changing the paint job actually requires the ship to be structurally altered. At least this is a rule I tie myself to fanatically (except for the sails, since those would be canvas in real). For example, the lower hull (the white part) couldn't be done in reddish brown, since hinge bricks don't exist in this color. And if I alter the structure, it will differ from the previous MOC. Also, I'd have to invest time. And if time is considered the 'common currency' of both brick building and digital building, then, well it is a new MOC.

It's a follow up question then, to evaluate this MOC. Does it deserve to enter this game. But well, the same would be true if I just took a prefab hull and threw some bricks at it, calling it a ship.

In both cases our 'Brethren Code' would just not allow us to do so :pir-wink: And no, the code is not 'more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules' :pir-grin:

This most certainly deserves to enter the game. I think I was a bit misunderstood on the color scheme thing. I sure didn't mean making a dozen copies of a ship in different colors. What I meant was this. If you were to, say, sell this ship to an Eslandolan, you could change all the blue parts to green as well as the flags, sort of a customization for your buyer. It would still be the same ship but with a new paint job. Anyway it is doubtful you will find the need to do that since as you said, you are trying to build Oleon's fleet up....

This most certainly deserves to enter the game. I think I was a bit misunderstood on the color scheme thing. I sure didn't mean making a dozen copies of a ship in different colors. What I meant was this. If you were to, say, sell this ship to an Eslandolan, you could change all the blue parts to green as well as the flags, sort of a customization for your buyer. It would still be the same ship but with a new paint job. Anyway it is doubtful you will find the need to do that since as you said, you are trying to build Oleon's fleet up....

Sorry, Mike, if that post sounded a bit rough or something, sure wasn't meant to pirate_look.gif

In fact I think we're all thinking along the same lines here, so I tried to clearify and generalize what you said on the one hand, and what Ska would - supposedly - like to see taken into concideration on the other hand.

I sure like your idea of customized ships. Maybe not in a way of building and then offering it for sale on a market, but maybe on a contract base ('Build a ship for me matching the following stats!'), direct to customer.

KB haz shipz, if you have coin pirate_laugh2.gif

Edited by Kolonialbeamter

Snow?? Where?? :pir-laugh: Good one... :pir-wink:

Simply beautiful once more. :pir-wub: The curved shape, colors and rigging all look excellent. The stern in particular is lovely. And you consider this to be "just" a lowly merchant vessel?

Excellent work.

Approved! :thumbup:

Thanks Lord this is your last ship of the month (even it is now a new month already...).

Just kidding, your ships are really awesome so great job KolonialBeamter!!

But it gives me a lot of extra work for updating the ship index

Could you tell me what ships are licenced?

I will "rent" this ship (for a portion of the earnings) and underlicense it as my free 2F for the time being until I can pay for it's proper license as the 4T it really is.

Another beautiful ship KB, lovely color-scheme and hull shape, the rigging looks quite good - especially for LDD! - and I really like the deck space and the very smooth integration of the fore and aftcastles! :pir-wub: The sails and masts are excellent as well, although I do think the space between the two looks a bit much pirate_laugh2.gif Maybe some of those triangular sideways sails (spankers? jibs? Excuse my ignorance pirate_laugh2.gifpirate_laugh_new.gif) would help it out, although I'm not sure how it would affect the sailing power of the ship! Definitely approved though! pirate_satisfied.gifpirate_wink.gif

Dear god, KB - how on earth can you pump out so many beautiful vessels in such a short time! It is very impressive! pirate_blush.gif

I definitely approve of this one, and if you are not totally happy with it, I am. She is a beautiful example of the trading vessels that plied the seas when the age of sail was at its highest. And the way you integrated that cabin into the hull, and that beautiful colourscheme is just wonderful. pirate_satisfied.gif

My only gripe is the same as Ska's - I think you placed the foremast too far forwards. It might just be a matter of a few studs, but it seems somewhat unbalance presently.

Other than that, brilliant work. And for clarity:

I APPROVE!

The stern is very nice. And good lame joke. I would not know it was a snow unless you told it, because I don't know ships that well. So I learned something, and it is a good example of a snow as far as I can tell. I like it, and I approve. :thumbup:

And now you might learn why it is a snow.

If you look closely, you will see that she has a small mast(a trysail mast) just abaft the mainmast, on which the gaff and boom is attached. If they had instead been attached to the mast itself, she would have been a brig. pirate_blush.gif

I will "rent" this ship (for a portion of the earnings) and underlicense it as my free 2F for the time being until I can pay for it's proper license as the 4T it really is.

Great idea, actually! However, I am still hoping we will see your personal take on a vessel at some point, Gideon! pirate_blush.gif

Another beautiful ship KB, lovely color-scheme and hull shape, the rigging looks quite good - especially for LDD! - and I really like the deck space and the very smooth integration of the fore and aftcastles! :pir-wub: The sails and masts are excellent as well, although I do think the space between the two looks a bit much pirate_laugh2.gif Maybe some of those triangular sideways sails (spankers? jibs? Excuse my ignorance pirate_laugh2.gifpirate_laugh_new.gif) would help it out, although I'm not sure how it would affect the sailing power of the ship! Definitely approved though! pirate_satisfied.gifpirate_wink.gif

Might I try to "un-ignore" you? pirate_laugh2.gif

The sails you are missing would be staysails. They are called so, as they are hoisted on the stays, which again are the ropes keeping the mast from falling backwards and forwards. (The shrouds are the ropes on the sides, keeping the mast from going sideways)

Therefore, a jib is also a kind of staysail, but specifically one carried between the foremast and the bowsprit. (Generally, we refer to all those sails as "jibs", but they actually have several different names... Let us not go into that! Then I will just get confused toopirate_tong.gif)

All staysails, including jibs, are a kind of fore-and-aft rig, as is the spanker, (The big gaff rigged sail carried on the trysail-mast (see above) in this case) and their function on a square-rigged vessel is to give it better performance when sailing close to the wind. (If you imagine the vessel doing that, you will see how they are more useful than squaresails in that situation.)

In some situations, stay- and squaresails might be set at the same time, but often not. So actually, there is nothing strange in the fact that the staysails are not up in the present picture. pirate_wink.gif

I hope that made sense, and that you walk away from this smarter than before! pirate_tong.gif

...Might I try to "un-ignore" you? pirate_laugh2.gif

The sails you are missing would be staysails. They are called so, as they are hoisted on the stays, which again are the ropes keeping the mast from falling backwards and forwards. (The shrouds are the ropes on the sides, keeping the mast from going sideways)

Therefore, a jib is also a kind of staysail, but specifically one carried between the foremast and the bowsprit. (Generally, we refer to all those sails as "jibs", but they actually have several different names... Let us not go into that! Then I will just get confused toopirate_tong.gif)

All staysails, including jibs, are a kind of fore-and-aft rig, as is the spanker, (The big gaff rigged sail carried on the trysail-mast (see above) in this case) and their function on a square-rigged vessel is to give it better performance when sailing close to the wind. (If you imagine the vessel doing that, you will see how they are more useful than squaresails in that situation.)

In some situations, stay- and squaresails might be set at the same time, but often not. So actually, there is nothing strange in the fact that the staysails are not up in the present picture. pirate_wink.gif

I hope that made sense, and that you walk away from this smarter than before! pirate_tong.gif

pir_laugh2.gifdefault_rofl.gif Thanks Bregir! I thought knew that the jib was the one between the foremast and the bowsprit and the spanker was somewhere in the back, but lacking the names of the ones in the middle I tried to make the most of my limited knowledge! Thanks for the enlightenment though! pirate_satisfied.gifpirate_wink.gif

Oh, and I didn't mean it looked odd that the staysails were not set, but that if they were set it would probably make the distance between the fore and mainmasts less pronounced pirate_classic.gif - in case that makes any sense! pirate_laugh2.gifpir_laugh2.gif