Veynom

[MOC] Sheathipede-class transport shuttle Evolved

Hi all,

I wanted to present this MOC that I built originally for the Evolved contest on FBTB but due to various circumstances, I could not complete it on time. Anyway, I thought it was a brilliant contest idea and therefore I decided to complete my MOC eventually. The most important aspect of a MOC contest is not winning. It is not even participating, but it is definitively building one's own creations. :D

Therefore, please let me present you my Sheathipede-class transport shuttle Evolved.

Thirty years after the fall of Palpatine, the First Order is running at full speed its rearmament program. In order to be able to quickly ship troops to all corners of the known and unknown galaxy, the First Order looks toward reliable, effective, multi-purpose transport ships providing a flexible and large freight capacity. Some of the First Orders engineers decided to base their design on an old separatist shuttle dating from the Clone Wars: the Sheathipede. And they made it evolve...

25252158222_dcb6024fb9_c.jpg

Sheathipede-class transport shuttle Evolved by Veynom, on Flickr

For the very first tests, Captain Phasma is around.

25370434315_a9a133ed08_c.jpg

A bulky rear side which offers a large loading ramp. (Who said "a big a.."?)

25277388701_6b765a30b4_c.jpg

Troops can be landed and quickly get out of the ship.

25002816099_e74b261418_c.jpg

I am currently also building several cargo modules that will fit inside and maximise both the playability and flexibility of this ship.

25370434035_c9c9e375f2_c.jpg

25277388881_de39df71cb_c.jpg

Inspection ...

25002800299_8fe17ea770_c.jpg

25252157032_06ac0232f4_c.jpg

25252157032_06ac0232f4_c.jpg

24739801464_f6c857af0b_c.jpg

25252158712_64fc09ef3c_c.jpg

24721332294_8b9a2e7438_c.jpg

This MOC is quite sturdy but is hard to carry, just by its shape and size.

Comments are welcome.

I'm really glad you shared this with us despite not making it to the contest! My creation didn't make it either, so I can understand where you're coming from (you can find it under my content, I won't link here as to not distract from your MOC).

It definitely was an awesome contest idea, and your creation is a fun take on the concept! Your choice of ship isn't one many would immediately recognize, a bold creative choice as it then becomes harder to get noticed. What stands out the most is the conveyance of size. The proportions and details make it look much larger than it actually is, which is appropriate. The front of the ship, perhaps due to the choices of colors, look a little busy or crowded. It would have been nice to contrast detailed areas with more smoothed areas, giving the appearance of something professionally built to the standards of the demanding First Order. The blue/gray color scheme also seems like a better fit for the Resistance than The First Order. But the shaping of the dorsal fin is really neat, and the cockpit area works really well for a pelican-like transporter.

More importantly you seem happy with it, so it passed the most crucial test!

Thank you all for the very positive comments. :)

@Reputator: To some extend, I may agree with you regarding the front end. My first version was simply tiled but the pattern was not to my liking, probably because I had no more dark blue tiles. Only then did I changed it to add the "guns" and extra details. But thanks for all the nice and constructive remarks.