Sign in to follow this  
Legostone

[ESL - FB2 - ship] The "War Dwarf"

Update: Now the HMS Kite of the Corrington Royal Navy

Try at least once finishing a single ship in a single day, it is fun (besides the rigging:P).

The War Dwarf is a rather old war brig, brought here by the family of Monezterell brought it over from the old world as she was one of their best ships back then. Since then she had a general overhaul, as she was a bit outdated in comparision to many of the new ships that are and were being built. She may not be the fastest ship on the ocean, but she can keep pace with the majority of modern ships again. It is commanded by Captain Damian Chetham.

Instead of writing more I would rather let pictures speak for me.

25371985065_b9e0d4da7a_z.jpg

War Dwarf, starboard side, also a general overview.

25345812036_60458b0860_z.jpg

starboard again, but this time a bit more close up, here you can see her broadside - 3 18 pound guns, 2 9 pound guns, as well as a swivel gun. This is mirrored on the other side. As well as that she has 2 permanent chase guns. Thats a total of 6 18 pound guns, 6 9 pound guns (the chase guns are 9 pounders too) and 2 swivel guns, a total of 14 guns.

You should be able to see that there is a lot going on on board.

25371988735_e5b5d16fcf_z.jpg

Next we have a picture of her stern, as well as her portside.

25278955361_4a6313fbe6_z.jpg

And lastly we have a picture straight at her bow, including the chase guns.

Well, not exactly the last picture - there is also one together with the Wringe I and the unfished Green Winds.

25278950881_47c850d75e_z.jpg

I'm unsure if I want to license her, I might put her up for sale - I could definetly use some more DBs:P

Special thanks to Captain Green Hair for the hull building technique, it really helped. The rigging was painful (and is still far from perfect) though. Total of 12 hours spent building her. 4 of those on rigging and sails.

Edited by Legostone

I think this is a very pretty gun-brig! (and a brig is technically NOT a ship, mind you pirate_tong.gif )

You have captured the sailplan very well, and I particularly like the bow shot, where we can see her great spread of canvas. It is so wide it almost looks as if she is carrying studding sails!

I much adore the blue curvature with the red accent, and the bow has a beautiful shape. The stern cabin is great too, and well integrated into the general curves of the hull. (I love those slanted out windows!)

You have struck a beautiful balance between the slightly cartoonish proportions of Lego's official sets and realism, a style I personally like a lot.

I think the angle of the bowsprit might be a bit steep, but it actually looks very nice and fitting for an older vessel! (and I like that he bowsprit is in two parts - very realistic!)

If you are going to sell her, I will personally be keeping my eyes on the price - this might be an interesting investment!

I would think that see is a class 3 A, as she seems bigger than most of the class 2 vessels, and is very well armed. (Although I would probably call the big guns 12-pounders (or perhaps 18 pounder carronades) and the upper deck guns 6 or 9-pounders, as 24 pounders are very large for anything less than the biggest frigates.)

Edited by Bregir

Looks great! I really like her, and the blue works pretty well

Thanks!

I think this is a very pretty gun-brig! (and a brig is technically NOT a ship, mind you :pir-tongue: )

You have captured the sailplan very well, and I particularly like the bow shot, where we can see her great spread of canvas. It is so wide it almost looks as if she is carrying studding sails!

I much adore the blue curvature with the red accent, and the bow has a beautiful shape. The stern cabin is great too, and well integrated into the general curves of the hull. (I love those slanted out windows!)

You have struck a beautiful balance between the slightly cartoonish proportions of Lego's official sets and realism, a style I personally like a lot.

I think the angle of the bowsprit might be a bit steep, but it actually looks very nice and fitting for an older vessel! (and I like that he bowsprit is in two parts - very realistic!)

Thanks! The Bowsprit was lower before, it was just me failing at getting the rigging done properly which pulled it up and I decided it would be to big of a hassle to change it back again.

If you are going to sell her, I will personally be keeping my eyes on the price - this might be an interesting investment!

I would think that see is a class 3 A, as she seems bigger than most of the class 2 vessels, and is very well armed. (Although I would probably call the big guns 12-pounders (or perhaps 18 pounder carronades) and the upper deck guns 6 or 9-pounders, as 24 pounders are very large for anything less than the biggest frigates.)

I'm still not sure, I guess I'll see after this MRCA what I'll do. I think it could be a class 4A - we have a crew of over 13 (13 on deck, + some more below(in theory:P)). I've downgraded the guns to 18 and 9 pounds, I'm alright with that too. I was just listing whats well visible on the broadside in the shot - there is a total of 6 18 pounders, 6 9 pounders (the chase guns are 9 pounders as well) as well as 2 swivel guns. And considering there is not much space for transporting goods I stay with my rating of 4A.

That's a great vessel !

I particularly like the stern !

The sails and rigging are well done ! And we see you passed hours on that part ! IMO rigging is always the most time consumer part in building a ship. And you managed to have a good one.

I will not repeat Bregir as he made a good sailing analyse (as always...) but I must agreed with him on the cannon size. 12 pounders could be more realistic here as I see your ship more near a French fregate of 12 but shorter.

All to say good job and great build !

Did you mind that we could help you in MAESTRO to license her. If she is a class 3 or 4 we could deal with that...

I think class 4A is fine too, and the "new" guns sounds perfectly reasonable too.

If you are going to sell her, you must consider whether you want to sell her with the license already paid, or for someone else to license. The last would probably make the most sense, I guess. :)

In any case, I will keep my eyes open for any listings for sale... ;)

And a thing I didn't comment on before - I like the amount of activity going on! Well done :)

@Faladrin: And so Maestro is trying to get their filthy fingers into another enterprise! I've gotta admire your seal, although I am a bit concerned of your growing influence!! Power corrupts even the best ;) :P

Edited by Bregir

I think class 4A is fine too, and the "new" guns sounds perfectly reasonable too.

@Faladrin: And so Maestro is trying to get their filthy fingers into another enterprise! I've gotta admire your seal, although I am a bit concerned of your growing influence!! Power corrupts even the best ;) :P

Haha ! :) "filthy fingers" ?

May I remind you that Legostone is recent MAESTRO member by now !

So I am just offering my help as a business partner and as a co-Eslandian friend.

I am thinking that Corrington don't really need that fine Eslandian vessel, you have already beaten our Faction twice by now, be FairPlay ! ;p

Beautiful build. Sails and rigging are superb, they show the time you invested. Personally I am not that interested in building ships myself but can really admire builds like this; one day they may inspire me to change my mind! I loved the last picture with your whole 'fleet'.

Well done ship, especially fond of the cabin, nice technique.

Not going to add to the sail plan commenting for reasons of lacking qualification, but it surely looks good!

Hey, if you churn this out in a day, I'm looking forward to what you come up with over time. And yes, speed boating building is fun. Rigging, however, is not, and whoever begs to differ, shall walk the plank!

Keep it up, LS!

That's a great vessel !

I particularly like the stern !

The sails and rigging are well done ! And we see you passed hours on that part ! IMO rigging is always the most time consumer part in building a ship. And you managed to have a good one.

I will not repeat Bregir as he made a good sailing analyse (as always...) but I must agreed with him on the cannon size. 12 pounders could be more realistic here as I see your ship more near a French fregate of 12 but shorter.

All to say good job and great build !

Did you mind that we could help you in MAESTRO to license her. If she is a class 3 or 4 we could deal with that...

Thanks! More about licensing later.

If you are going to sell her, you must consider whether you want to sell her with the license already paid, or for someone else to license. The last would probably make the most sense, I guess. :)

In any case, I will keep my eyes open for any listings for sale... ;)

And a thing I didn't comment on before - I like the amount of activity going on! Well done :)

I think I might put her up for auction once this months MRCA results are in(as in results this month). She won't be cheap though!

Haha ! :) "filthy fingers" ?

May I remind you that Legostone is recent MAESTRO member by now !

So I am just offering my help as a business partner and as a co-Eslandian friend.

I am thinking that Corrington don't really need that fine Eslandian vessel, you have already beaten our Faction twice by now, be FairPlay ! ;p

Indeed I am a member of MAESTRO now:P And well, if the Corringtons pay me well enough they may get that vessel. Well, everyone who pays enough can get it:D

Beautiful build. Sails and rigging are superb, they show the time you invested. Personally I am not that interested in building ships myself but can really admire builds like this; one day they may inspire me to change my mind! I loved the last picture with your whole 'fleet'.

Thanks! I'm slowly running out of material for masts though, I think I can just do one more with masts this size, I guess rather sooner than later I'll have to bite into my wallet and order some parts on bricklink. Sadly the schooner(the biggest of my ships so far) is not yet completed, and currently I sadly lack inspiration on the bow, as well as that I'm not quite happy with the stern, might completely redo that.

Btw, have a picture of the War Dwarf next to some hulls which may or may not be used in the near future:P

25004383859_5a63fdb53d_c.jpg

to bad I just have stern sections in brown:P

Well done ship, especially fond of the cabin, nice technique.

Not going to add to the sail plan commenting for reasons of lacking qualification, but it surely looks good!

Hey, if you churn this out in a day, I'm looking forward to what you come up with over time. And yes, speed boating building is fun. Rigging, however, is not, and whoever begs to differ, shall walk the plank!

Keep it up, LS!

Obligatory thanks first:P

Well, you are churning out ships like there is no tomorrow:P I'll agree though, speed building is indeed fun. I may try it again once I decide what type of ship I build next...

And for the sail plan many liked - a big thanks to wikipedia for that:P

Very nice ship. Overall, you've done an excellent job capturing all the details and components of a sailing ship. The headrails and figurehead are particularly nice, as is the brick built flag.

My only complaint would be the stern galleries. On most ships I've seen, the galleries slope inwards instead of out.

Very nice ship. Overall, you've done an excellent job capturing all the details and components of a sailing ship. The headrails and figurehead are particularly nice, as is the brick built flag.

My only complaint would be the stern galleries. On most ships I've seen, the galleries slope inwards instead of out.

Obligatory thanks; finally someone notices the brick built flag:D

While building the stern I felt like the platform above should allow a few people to stand on it, so I couldn't really make it any thinner than the hull itself, which is 12 studs wide, leaving me with 10 studs in between the railings on top of the stern. Going outwards or even just straight up would have either drastically shrunken the space up there or made the entire stern look odd. On a bigger hull I would let the galleries on the side of the stern slope inwards.

Lovely vessel. :pir-wub: That hull is beautiful and the rigging looks nice too. The unique colorscheme would make her easy to spot. The headrails use my favorite technique and your fleet looks nice. Keep it up.

Great ship, the blue looks really good and that brick-built Eslandian flag is excellent! :thumbup:

So, the War Dwarf has changed owner through a less successful auction, the new owner is Bregir! I offered him to slightly change out the ship - I basically changed out the flags and, as well as that, the gun port covers as I finally managed to find 6 of them in black which was my original plan anyways. I've heard rumors that the name of the ship might change, as I don't own it anymore I can't complain.

So, here are the pictures with the small changes I made:

the port side, gun port covers closed:

25946647411_9eeff371ef.jpg

And, for completion we also have the starboard side with open gun ports:

25410894283_9e63d10294.jpg

The War Dwarf has been bought into the service of the Royal Navy as the HMS Kite, and will now serve the Crown as a brig-sloop.

I think you for your services. It was a pleasure doing business with you.

/Montoya

I wouldn't sell such a beauty! It's a wonderful ship. I love that bow and the colour scheme. This will really be an inspiration for my first ship.