What kind of drawer system do you guys use? (drawers + organization)

I have Elfa drawers and an Elfa desk totaling 7-10 drawers to use unless I use the deem kind. Elfa is expensive but they have great separators that you can use.

The problem with drawers is that you have to open them, pick something out, close them. That's three actions. I couldn't imagine having to do three things for every piece I need (and three for every piece I put back).

So I use open trays for everything I use often. This is much quicker.

I use a combination of medium sized bins and tackle boxes. Bins for large bricks sorted by color and tackle boxes for special and/or smaller bricks sorted by color that I use often.

I use small drawers from a Chinese shop for connectors, big drawers for axles, gears, small liftarms and several other types of parts.

Then I found very useful using ziplock bags for all types of pins and bushes

I think I will need some of these safety rules stickers:

http://m.ebay.es/itm/WARNING-TOOLBOX-BOTTOM-DRAWER-STICKER-TOOL-BOX-DECAL-CHEST-/271744091777?nav=SEARCH

Edited by LXF

I personally love these from Stanley:

3877496.jpg

There is also a version with 30 drawers (5 rows of 6) which I also love. They have very LEGO suitable sizes, mostly multiple of 8 mm. That is:

9 drawers (€15): 17 studs deep, 13 wide, 7 tall

30 drawers (€16): 17 studs deep, 6 wide, 4 tall

There's also a combo of 9+30 but they sell for €50 which I don't get.

But some things don't seem to go best in drawers. Pins of which I have too many hundreds go into 500 ml or 750 ml food containers.

The smallest pieces (1x1 plates and tiles, etc.) go into a much smaller, cheaper (€7) variant of Sortimo sorting bins.

I've begun using Ikea's Trofast drawers, though I have a long way to go before I have everything organized in them.

I buy Plano brand storage bins, as they are sturdy, have a lockable lid, and come with more dividers than you'll ever use. BTW, my collection is still rather small...

I use OKT drawers in stacks (14 drawers in each stack) for almost all of my bricks.

bigger pieces (like pirate ship elements) are stored in large plastic boxes

Edited by fukkahone

I mostly use Really Useful boxes with Really Useful trays/separators. Within each compartment, parts are sorted into little grip seal bags by function or style and sometimes by colour as well. So for example, all my standard spears are in one grip seal baggy, which in turn is in a compartment with other polearms which itself is in a tray of weapons in a box of arms and armour.

Edited by AmperZand

I use several storage devices. For drawers I use Akron Mills drawer systems. For larger quantity I use 15 Quart closeable bins with either Glad Entree storage containers or 1 gallon Zip-Lock bags. I also use Plano fishing tackle boxes.

I tried to get to just one system, but it didn't work so I adopted the multi-type storage container solution. For my needs LEGO storage is not a "one-size fits all"

IHTH

Andy D

I use tilt bins, not cheap in any way, but they are practical for my needs, at some point when I've finished my build room, I'll put some pictures up.

I'm storing my brick in multiple of such cases. The good thing they have sections that can be removed and help customising cases for my needs.

I use about a dozen tackle-type boxes from IKEA, along with flatter cardboard boxes I've picked up over the years to store most of my Lego. For smaller parts I use a drawer system as well as an actual tackle box. It has worked quite well up until now, but I've noticed that spreading the boxes around and finding parts in them to build with has become more of a pain.

I used to use those, but with about 20 of them, it became a pain trying to find the one that had the correct brick I needed in it.

I know what you mean!

I have a few also so I just taped all the parts in that box to the front of the box.

I also have a lot of boxes I get from work. I.E. computer boxes. I label them the same way.

Just a few thoughts about this topic:

- regardless of the option you choose, what matters in my opinion is the ability to make it evolve. No matter how big or small the size of your containers is going to be, chances are that you'll end up one day with the need to split some categories of bricks. To give you an example - let's say you store your 1*1 and 1*2 bricks together in a drawer - at some point it becomes impossible to manage so you will need to assign each brick its own container.

- plan the expansion of your collection. Once you settle on the type of container you want, try to buy (a lot) more of these than you strictly need to begin with. I find that a LEGO collection never stops to grow... so, trust me on this you will want to have backup containers to grow your storage capacity. Also, if you need to purchase new containers in a few years from now, there is a good chance that you will not be able to find exactly the same ones.. so your whole setup could become less "aesthetic" because of the different types of storage. I know this may not really be an issue for everyone but I know an AFOL or 2 that have small OCD issues... :look:

Just a few thoughts about this topic:

- regardless of the option you choose, what matters in my opinion is the ability to make it evolve. No matter how big or small the size of your containers is going to be, chances are that you'll end up one day with the need to split some categories of bricks. To give you an example - let's say you store your 1*1 and 1*2 bricks together in a drawer - at some point it becomes impossible to manage so you will need to assign each brick its own container.

- plan the expansion of your collection. Once you settle on the type of container you want, try to buy (a lot) more of these than you strictly need to begin with. I find that a LEGO collection never stops to grow... so, trust me on this you will want to have backup containers to grow your storage capacity. Also, if you need to purchase new containers in a few years from now, there is a good chance that you will not be able to find exactly the same ones.. so your whole setup could become less "aesthetic" because of the different types of storage. I know this may not really be an issue for everyone but I know an AFOL or 2 that have small OCD issues... :look:

This. I'm dealing with this now. I have 4 towers of drawers. 3 are the same and the fourth is different. When to a store to get a couple more of the 3 that I already have and it seems that they have recently been discontinued :( now I have to watch Craigslist to see if any used ones pop up...