Sign in to follow this  
Murdoch17

1870's passenger train with 4-4-0 (American) steam engine

This train has quite a past....

7901971022_5965e37be3_o.png

The train seen above has been a project of mine in LEGO Digital Designer since 2012. This was the first version from August of that year, and needless to say I bought it and it worked well... on straight track only. So I went back to my drawing board and scrapped the engine. After 4 years of wanting to build it "right" and countless revisions, I (with help from EB users TF Twitch and TheShubes and a lot of parts of Lego sets) have come up with the train seen below.

24980979369_248576db71_z.jpg

This engine was originally modeled after set 7597 (Western Train Chase) with some design inspiration from TF Twitch's "Humble Sapphire" 4-4-0. The engine also features a boiler copied from set 79111 (Constitution Train Chase) to keep it inline with the rest of my steam locomotives.

24721889203_8f0715068b_z.jpg

The rear of the loco features a ladder to the tender-top.

25053033770_54370d72ab_z.jpg

These passenger cars were mostly inspired by set 10014 (Passenger wagon) but repainted red instead of green and with fancy part 30613 "Brick, Arch 3 x 6 x 5 Ornamented" on the end of the cars. (link to this part on BL: http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?P=30613&idColor=11#T=C&C=11 )

24721889463_9f217bfe8e_z.jpg

The whole train together. I might be mistaken, but user TheShubes may have been the one to inspire these coaches with his own red versions of set 10014.

Also, if anyone wants to see the structures that go with this train, please see this thread about the station: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=122130 Speaking of stations, the one in that thread was ordered yesterday.

It looks nice. The rear magnet seems a little bit low. I think it would look better if it sits one plate higher.

It looks nice. The rear magnet seems a little bit low. I think it would look better if it sits one plate higher.

Thanks! However, I think that coupler height problem may be because the sheet bunched up just out of frame: This magnet is the same height as all my other cars and clears switches / crossings.

Just took this picture, and thought it looked cool enough to share here. Since the last time I took pictures, i removed the balloon stack, as it was too tall for my train shed.

26591203926_d194160212_z.jpg

This photograph was taken at Fort Legoredo station in 1893 and features Engine number 1 (a 4-4-0 American type) and it's crew of three. The crew are as follows:

On track: Leroy McCoy - fireman

On platform: Sylvester Rhodes - road foreman

On cow-catcher: Alex J. - locomotive engineer

The 1870's vintage steamer had just been to the company machine shop and had it's balloon stack removed and the engine converted to burn coal when this picture was taken. These modifications were later backdated in the 1920's to allow to the engine to star in Wild Western movies until being retired and donated in 1967. In 2016, the balloon stack was removed again and the engine returned to steam once more with coal as it's fuel.

(all special effects added in Google photos)