Sign in to follow this  
Saberwing40k

RCBRICKS Lego compatible servo motors, reviewed by Sariel

Today, I found a video from our good friend Sariel about a new, Lego compatible motor system called RCBRICKS, from a startup of the same name. These motors look quite unlike PF motors, and seem to be based off of high torque hobby servo motors, and as such are quite capable. Watch the video for more information.

(It's in Polish, but the subtitles are just fine, and in English.)

Here are the Pros and Cons, as far as I can see:

Pro:

• Lots of power
  • Highly responsive
  • Great range
  • Should be relatively inexpensive.
  • Compatible with any kind of RC gear.

Con:

• Not compatible with Lego PF system in any way.
  • RC receivers and transmitters are expensive.
  • Questionable battery choice.
  • Motors are entirely new shapes, and not readily compatible with the system, meaning that they are not drop in replacements
  • Unproven startup.
  • Receivers and batteries are not Lego compatible.

I don't know, they sound okay, but the thing is, what most people have problems with is either the power supply, or receivers of the Lego PF system, and not the motors. While I think it is a valiant attempt to rectify the Lego systems short range, I don't think they are going about it the right way. I am also kind of dubious about the idea of using a USB batter pack for this, as it is not really Lego compatible, and has to be awkwardly rubber banded in place. It would be preferable if there were a way to go from RC standard to LPF standard, as having all new motors might alienate people who just want a drop in PF receiver replacement, like SBrick.

What do you guys think?

It looks to me like it is basically adapting standard RC components to LEGO. The battery supply can be any power supply that can connect to the RC receiver unit. The high torque motor can shred plastic gears if you're not careful.

You could probably do the same by making your own custom motor to LEGO mounts. I found some 3D print it yourself STL files for stuff like SG90 servos to LEGO mounts, etc...

It looks to me like it is basically adapting standard RC components to LEGO. The battery supply can be any power supply that can connect to the RC receiver unit. The high torque motor can shred plastic gears if you're not careful.

You could probably do the same by making your own custom motor to LEGO mounts. I found some 3D print it yourself STL files for stuff like SG90 servos to LEGO mounts, etc...

Agreed. And there are several who have adapted some RC components to Lego already. I fit in a small RC motor into sheepos mustang and it sped it up quite a bit. I know @boxerlego has done a lot of that stuff as well.

I have posted before the minds-i system here....on this forum and I swear it would be relatively easy to replicate it somewhat. I have already done this with one of my crawlers. used screws to replicate the minds-i system and it works quite well. I didn't do anything special for motors..... just two XL motors.... but when I crashed the crawler it never broke apart.

details: http://www.moc-pages.com/moc.php/422162