I placed a little request in the LDraw sets topic. I don't know if it will help a lot, but who knows :tongue:

As for LDraw files, maybe it would be better if you published a list of the models you are missing, to make sure we don't duplicate work?

OK, I've scrubbed my list of Technic models to come up with a consolidated list of what I still need. Out of the full range of Technic models 1977-2014 I found that I still needed files for 68 of them. That's not too bad given the hundreds of models in total. Of those 68, I was able to find 18 in the EB list of official models in LDraw, so that leaves 50 I need. They are listed below.

• 1977-1995: Complete
  • 1996: Complete
  • 1997: Complete
    • 2854/8202 (Same model, different color)
    • 3038/8266
    • 8233/8239
    • 8248/8463

[*]1999

• 1258/3001
    • I've excluded Slizers/Throwbots because I assume many of their parts are not in LDraw

[*]2000

• I've excluded Roboriders because I assume many of their parts are not in LDraw

[*]2001

[*]2002: Complete

[*]2003

[*]2004

[*]2005: Complete

[*]2006

[*]2007: Complete

[*]2008: Complete

[*]2009

• 8063 (tractor could be converted from 8284 and then just build the trailer)

[*]2010: Complete

[*]2011

[*]2012

[*]2013

[*]2014

I recommend that anyone planning to create one of these files announce their intention in this topic so that effort is not duplicated. I'd also request that you only "check out" a model if you actually have time to work on it otherwise it will just prevent it from getting done. I suspect that many of these models may already exist in LDD, especially the recent ones, so it is up to the person doing the work if they would rather try to convert it and fill in the errors or just create it from scratch. It is also up to the person whether they make a multi-part MPD file or a single LDR file. SR3D is fine and will result in a single file. Flexible parts are not required, but are appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edit: Please remember to include your name inside any file you create so that I can credit you.

Blakbird, do you miss 68 files or 68 models? I mean do you calculate only the main model or also the B and C models of a set?

Should there be a new thread created for this? It'd be nice to have the list of models required, with a name beside each "checked out" model, that can be crossed out when that model is completed. I realise that this would take a bit of work to maintain, but would make for a great community project.

I'de be happy to help out if I could only figure out how to correctly place pieces at the exact angles I want in mlcad. Anyone know of a good tutorial for angles in particular as I haven't been able to find one.

Blakbird, do you miss 68 files or 68 models? I mean do you calculate only the main model or also the B and C models of a set?

68 files. Don't worry about any alternate models for now. I don't have files for almost any of the alternate models. I'll do that some day in the future.

Should there be a new thread created for this? It'd be nice to have the list of models required, with a name beside each "checked out" model, that can be crossed out when that model is completed. I realise that this would take a bit of work to maintain, but would make for a great community project.

I'll create a new thread and keep the first topic up to date as long as EB doesn't mind us doing it.

I'de be happy to help out if I could only figure out how to correctly place pieces at the exact angles I want in mlcad. Anyone know of a good tutorial for angles in particular as I haven't been able to find one.

I do it all manually. The trick is to pick the right rotation center and then set MLCAD to use angles in convenient increments. This does require your brain to figure out which parts move together though. Or else you could just use SR3D which does it all for you.

Remember to change the grid snap settings as well. :classic:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

For those of you eagerly waiting for an update, I'll provide some status. As you know from above, a huge project is being undertaken to get LDraw files for every model so I can use them to create renders for the history and category pages. I now have only 24 files to go to have all of Technic history covered. Every file I have has been individually rendered and a revolving animation has been created. (The links go to my Bricksafe folders with compilations of those pictures.) I've created renders of the years 1977-1995 which are already posted on the site, and I'm also ready with most of the years 1996-2014. Regarding 1996, I've completed the writing for about half the models which has involved the taking of about 1000 photographs (including animated GIF frames). Last night I also photographed all 52 models from 2010 to 2014 so they will be present on the category pages. Every category page will be updated to include all the latest models.

Phew! This has kept me very busy. I had forgotten how much work this site is, and in hindsight I can't recall how I managed to progress with it so quickly in the beginning. I must have been younger and had more energy.

You? Younger? I thought you existed outside of time?

Anyway, great job! It's really appreciated, I love reading about all those classic sets I don't own (and probably never will).

Anyway, great job! It's really appreciated, I love reading about all those classic sets I don't own (and probably never will).

Hopefully I'll get the site to the point where it is not just about classic sets. If I actually catch up to the present, then I only need to add the new sets each year which is not such a daunting task.

Every file I have has been individually rendered and a revolving animation has been created. (The links go to my Bricksafe folders with compilations of those pictures.)

Blakbird, I was admiring what you've done with the files I gave you, and I noticed that the connector block just above the 24t gear in 8233 seems to be 1/2 stud offset from where it's supposed to be - perhaps our versions of the LDraw part differ in origin.

logobig.jpg

I'm proud to announce, after a 4 year hiatus, the latest update of Technicopedia. This is a huge update and includes the following:

• All models from 1996.
  • All models from 1977-1996 with missing LDraw files have been added.
  • All yearly history pages have had compilation photos replaced with renders.
  • Donation button added.

Some disclaimers:

• You'll notice a vast difference in picture quality between the various 1996 models. I took some of the pictures years ago, and took some of them recently with an inadequate lighting setup. I just couldn't bring myself to go replace them all. Newest photos look the best.
  • Although I've been working on photos, animations, and computer models for weeks and months, I did all of the writing today! I was going to do one model a day, but I got on a roll and couldn't stop. I posted it at midnight after 15 hours of work, so there is a distinct chance you'll find typos or other oddities. Error reports welcome.

Enjoy!

800x310.jpg

Amazing work! I really love those cut-way screenshots showing the mechanics. :wub:

And, as you say, the new photo quality is a lot better than your older models.

Again, thanks so much for this amazing website :classic::thumbup:

Btw, I haven't seen any typos yet ;)

I shall find an hour or so later to day to take a good look at the updates ... I'm looking forward to seeing all your hard work.

Thank you for the massive update!

Just one issue I've found: the Arctic action main picture is missing (arcticaction.JPG)

Great work. I've been looking forward for years to seeing how you'd treat possibly the greatest Technic set ever (disagree with me if you like, but you have to admit that it'd be right up there).

One thing I noticed when building it myself (many years ago now) was the way the building steps were ordered. They kept you guessing until the last minute how each function was going to work. For example, there was one point where two 16t gears were near each other but not engaged, so you thought you were building two separate mechanisms, but then you slide one gear back to mesh with the other, and all of a sudden a function (I think it was the ailerons) is nearly done!

Owen.