I think the most interesting SW Technic set is the 8002 Destroyer Droid. The fold-out mechanism is quite complicated and only works properly on some surfaces, but is very impressive to watch in action.

It's going to be a b!tch to do a stop-motion animation......

I was going to mention the lego star wars technics to you mate. Also what about the big lego racer (nitro etc) sets which are technic (8682, 8649 etc)

Albeit not in the TECHNIC, Racers, etc lines 7471 Exploration Rover deserves a mention since it all TECHNIC construction and has numerous TECHNIC functions.

I understand you just want to get the main TECHNIC line done (which is time consuming)...but it would be nice to see other non-mainstream TECHNIC sets to be seen.

Albeit not in the TECHNIC, Racers, etc lines 7471 Exploration Rover deserves a mention since it all TECHNIC construction and has numerous TECHNIC functions.

I understand you just want to get the main TECHNIC line done (which is time consuming)...but it would be nice to see other non-mainstream TECHNIC sets to be seen.

I'm always open to suggestions. I want Technicopedia to meet the needs of those who use it. I no longer have 7471, but I have built it and I agree that is a "Technic" set in every meaningful respect.

Greatly enjoying reading Technicopedia, and looking forward to the '94 section!

I was wondering though, if there's any chance you might side-track onto the idea books (8888, 8889, 8890 and 8891) as well? And when I mean side-track, I mean feature the models within the idea books. Some of these models have some unique features, for example (and if my memory serves me right), then 8891 has the only example of an official model with a suspended live rear-axle.

Would be awesome if you has any possibility of featuring those models as well, if not in photographs, then at least hightlight some of those models and their functions with rendered animations.

I was wondering though, if there's any chance you might side-track onto the idea books (8888, 8889, 8890 and 8891) as well? And when I mean side-track, I mean feature the models within the idea books. Some of these models have some unique features, for example (and if my memory serves me right), then 8891 has the only example of an official model with a suspended live rear-axle.

This is certainly something I'd like to do. Ultimately, I'd like to build all of the models from the Idea Books, but these are low on the priority list at the moment. To do even the rendered animations, I would need LDraw files of the models. Feel free to submit some! I have made the large programmble crane from 8888 for myself, and Berndasbrot has made the plotter. I'd certainly like to do the airplane made from the Control Center.

@Blakbird: Eric, can you give us a hint when the next update to your homepage is ready?

In order to give you a hint I would have to know the answer! :cry_happy: I've been working on it for a long time and in fact have been working on 8880 just today. As you can imagine, it is a big job. I'm getting close though so I'd look for an update in the next couple of weeks.

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for. I've posted the 1994 update to Technicopedia. I processed over 1000 pictures for the 8880 page alone. Enjoy.

Includes 1994 with sets 8032, 8062, 8808, 8812, 8816, 8829, 8858, and 8880. Adds pictures of new sets from 2009 and updates their respective categories. Makes updates to pictures and renders of many older sets. Adds set number for a large number of "other" Technic themes including Competition, Star Wars, and others. Add notation for sets which were released multiple times.

So Eric, you did it again! :classic:

Congratulations for the huge and very well done work!

So far I've only red the 1994 main page and the 8880 article, as all the rest requires even more time, so it should be done after work... :wink:

Remembered that this set may also deserve a mention and photo from its almost real scale version (scaled up 10x) made by LEGO and since then going around the world between LEGO events and LEGOLAND parks (unless there are several). This is one is also impressive by its own!

Thinking about details and the driving ring, I wonder if when the ridged axle joiner was designed back in 1993, designers had already in mind the joint functionality details, required to work with the driving ring to release one year later, or how it all happened (ya... I just remember about crazy questions...).

Probably there is no more anyone left among the TECHNIC designers to explain, that remembers or was there at the time. From their bios, it looks only Lars Jensen, may have been there by the time.

Maybe it would worth to mention also, the small different versions this set saw while seeling, because some parts got small variants.

I mean the steering arm that shown up both axle and pin connection versions, with correspondent use of the adequate axle/pin towball parts.

All together and considering color variations (white and light gray) the steering arm shown up in this set, in three different elements.

Don't know why it was changed, but it would be just another interesting nugget to know. :hmpf:

6540b.jpg6540a.gif

In my multiple copies of it (all 2nd hand), also got such variations.

You got me thinking as i have 2 copies of this set both built, one as the second model (F1 car). so there where quite a few variations?

I spent the last hour reading over this. As usual, it's an excellent and very thorough piece of work. I think 1992-1997 were Technic's finest years, and this was right in the middle.

I didn't realize those "figure" models in 8032 and 8062 were that interesting. I never thought much of them but need to try building them now once I get back home. The claw truck thing in 8062 is easily my favorite model in that set though. It may be a good idea to add some information on 8062's storage case itself, which has a neat customizable design.

I like 8858 a lot, but always thought its original $70 price (which was worth more back then) was too high for its relatively small size. I passed it up as a kid and got one many years later, and the later 8435 had the same functionality in a $50 model. It's still a very nice set though, and includes a cool Technic flag sticker for the alternate model.

8880 was an awesome model, but it unfortunately seems to be rather severely affected by the oxygen sensitivity described here. The white bricks in both of mine (unopened sets bought around 2001) suffer from this issue to varying degrees, including rare ones like the wheels and the transmission cover. I'm hoping I can use the hydrogen peroxide techniques people have brought up here to undo the effect. Do you have this problem with your copies of the set?

Maybe it would worth to mention also, the small different versions this set saw while seeling, because some parts got small variants.

Cool, I didn't know that other variety existed. All of mine have round holes. I'm guessing the cross hole ones came first and were replaced at some point, as later sets with this piece used the round hole ones.

Beautiful work! :wub: I'll have to look at it later though as my network connection can't handle it... :sceptic:

Thinking about details and the driving ring, I wonder if when the ridged axle joiner was designed back in 1993, designers had already in mind the joint functionality details, required to work with the driving ring to release one year later, or how it all happened (ya... I just remember about crazy questions...).

Probably there is no more anyone left among the TECHNIC designers to explain, that remembers or was there at the time. From their bios, it looks only Lars Jensen, may have been there by the time.

I'd say they had a rough idea, but not the details. Afterall, the patent was filed on Sep. 21, 1994.

Eric, I bow to you! Outstanding work and the detail you put into it is just stunning.

Thanks for a beautiful technic-site with provides not only relevant information but also entertains a lot.

My best wishes for your ongoing work.

I hardly can't wait for the next updates!

Just read the update for 1994 and WOW! That was well worth the wait. All 8 sets were reviewed increadably well and as for 8880! There have been many reviews for this set but yours is the best by far. I have always considered that as one of my top 3 sets of all time and you have really done it justice. Well done. Can't wait for 1995 now! (Only one away from 1996 and THE SPACE SHUTTLE!).

Sorry for the delay in replies to all of these posts. I was out of town for the weekend.

Remembered that this set may also deserve a mention and photo from its almost real scale version (scaled up 10x) made by LEGO and since then going around the world between LEGO events and LEGOLAND parks (unless there are several). This is one is also impressive by its own!

Good suggestion! I'd like to include a reference to this, but I'd also like to stick with my policy of not using any copyrighted Lego material. Does anyone have a personal photo of this from Brickworld or something that I could use?

Thinking about details and the driving ring, I wonder if when the ridged axle joiner was designed back in 1993, designers had already in mind the joint functionality details, required to work with the driving ring to release one year later, or how it all happened

I think almost certainly they did have this use in mind. In fact, I mentioned it in my explanation of 1993. This would not surprise me given that some of the Super Car parts such as the wheels and tires also came out in 1993. I think it just took them a little longer to finish up the instructions and packaging for 8880 so they waited another year. Just speculation though! :sceptic:

I mean the steering arm that shown up both axle and pin connection versions, with correspondent use of the adequate axle/pin towball parts.

All together and considering color variations (white and light gray) the steering arm shown up in this set, in three different elements.

Don't know why it was changed, but it would be just another interesting nugget to know. :hmpf:

I thought about this. However, I own two copies and both have the white version with the pin holes so I have never actually seen the other versions. One more bit of errata for my enhancement list! :classic:

It may be a good idea to add some information on 8062's storage case itself, which has a neat customizable design.

Good idea. It is an excellent case in its own right. I actually didn't get my case with 8062, I got it as a separate item from LEGO Service.

8880 was an awesome model, but it unfortunately seems to be rather severely affected by the oxygen sensitivity described here. The white bricks in both of mine (unopened sets bought around 2001) suffer from this issue to varying degrees, including rare ones like the wheels and the transmission cover. I'm hoping I can use the hydrogen peroxide techniques people have brought up here to undo the effect. Do you have this problem with your copies of the set?

Yes, both of my copies had rather severe yellowing. However, I tried the "retro-brite" formula on them and it cleaned them up as good as new. I was very happy with it.

I'd also like to add a big "Thank You" :classic: to everyone for the positive comments. As you know, there is no money in this project for me, but the enjoyment and utility that AFOLs get from it keeps me going. I'll try to keep the updates coming as long as people seem to want them!

Edited by Blakbird

Eric,

you may find some 8880 photos I took myself at LEGOWORLD (Zwolle) the last year, at my Brickshelf folder.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Conchas/...GOWORLD/001.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=348552

They start at 001 and go until 011.

You may find also one 360º video I did, at Youtube.

Not big quality stuff, probably what you need.

In a related TBs post, you may also find the picture bellow, from LEGOWORLD Oslo, one year before (Found it somewhere at BS before).

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_MBEVlUMi9kI/SQ9F...D+OSLO+2008.jpg

Regarding your reluctance to use LEGO copyrighted material, maybe you would like to know what LEGO as written in their Fair Play policy, transcribed below:

"Scanning Of Copyrighted Materials Into A Web Site

The LEGO Group owns the copyrights to its building instructions, publications and to the photographs used in our catalogs and on our packages. Copying, scanning and distributing these materials on the Internet would be an infringement of our copyrights. Nevertheless, at the present time the LEGO Group does not object to scanning of limited extracts of these materials in unaltered form for non-commercial purposes of exchange of information or good faith commentary. However, scanned /images/info should not be given such prominence as to indicate sponsorship of the Web site by the LEGO Group. We would ask that the photographs be scanned without distortion or overemphasis of the LEGO logo. A disclaimer and notice must appear indicating that the copyrights are owned by the LEGO Group (e.g. LEGO Group. This is an independent site not authorized or sponsored by the LEGO Group)."

I knew this site for longer, but only now I see you are having a topic about it. I want to say it's a great site and I once sat for hours reading through the years. I was very disappointed to see it only go to 1993, I wanted to read more (1994 wasn't there at that time).

I now saw you added 1994, and I enjoyed reading it and the 8880 article. I'm really looking forward to upcoming years, because it's about here I started getting into Technic. Looking forward in particular to your discussion of the 8460 crane truck in 1995 :grin: (and your general opinion on the entirety of the Technic theme through the years, e.g. the studless system; and to see how it actually evolved). I like how you're also describing new parts for each year, it gives an overview about when certain things became possible. I for one didn't know that the inline axle joiners and the 8880 were so close together and that a lot of parts like the 16t clutch gear seem to have been designed with 8880 in mind. It's cool to read things like that, especially on sets I own :)

Anyhow, I still have a suggestion - and the good thing is, it won't be much work to implement (I think) :wink: . I think it'd be a nice addition if in the articles about set comparisons, e.g. http://www.ericalbrecht.com/technic/excavators.html, in the table at the bottom, next to the Set column there would be a Year column. This would give a clear image of how much time is between similar sets, and how much time there was for the models to "evolve".

But, then again, the site is really becoming a wonderful encyclopedia of Technic - exactly what the name suggests. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Blakbird for creating Technicopedia, it is a great resource and reminds me of all my fascinating sets which are waiting to be cleaned and rebuilt.

In your summary of 1991, you mentioned repairing a shattered cable. Could you please explain how this was done? I would really love to be able to get all my flex cable sets up and running again (especially 8856 Whirlwind Rescue!). At the moment I am experimenting with superglue for the two main cables on 8479 Code Pilot Truck, I'll let everyone know how it turns out. :classic:

I now realise I haven't even contributed to this thread yet. Let me take the time and say to you Blakbird, that I truely love your site. First of all it give me a quick access to looking at different sets through the years, including descriptions of functions.

But the part with most value for me, is the description of the new parts for each year. As a part designer this is really interesting, learning the history of the Technic pieces, and I don't even know if I could quickly find something similar as an employee. That is why I also eagerly awaits the future beyond 1994. But serious stuff like this takes time, so don't rush it please. :thumbup:

Front

Edited by Front

In your summary of 1991, you mentioned repairing a shattered cable. Could you please explain how this was done? I would really love to be able to get all my flex cable sets up and running again (especially 8856 Whirlwind Rescue!). At the moment I am experimenting with superglue for the two main cables on 8479 Code Pilot Truck, I'll let everyone know how it turns out. :classic:

I used Super glue (cyano-acrylate) and accelerator. It worked but it is not very strong. You have to make sure there is no bead of glue on the outside or it will prevent movement through the sleeve. A better choice would be any type of model glue with Toluene in it. This actually "melts" the plastic and will form a chemical bond between the two halves. If you try it, let me know how it works!

I used Super glue (cyano-acrylate) and accelerator. It worked but it not very strong. You have to make sure there is no bead of glue on teh outside or it will prevent movement through the sleeve. A better choice would be any type of model glue with Toluene in it. This actually "melts" the plastic and will form a chemical bond between the two halves. If you try it, let me know how it works!

Super glue didn't work out very well for me - they both broke as soon as I took them out of the sleeve. The main reason is that I don't have complentary flex cable bits, so they didn't match up and the bond was very weak. As a last resort to get at least 8479 going, I 'shaved' some flex cables to reduce the diameter and carefully taped them together. It seems to be holding up well so far but the increased thickness has increased friction through the sleeve which impairs the function of the grabber.

I only have a couple of short pieces of broken flex cable left, so I probably won't try Toluene glue unless all I can find are broken flex cables!

I might ring around hardware and plastic stores for any similar plastic piping I could substitute. Why wasn't I more careful as a kid? :cry_sad:

Yes, both of my copies had rather severe yellowing. However, I tried the "retro-brite" formula on them and it cleaned them up as good as new. I was very happy with it.

I just looked this up. I definitely need to try this out at some point, as I have a number of pieces from various sets affected by this problem.

On a side note, there was one additional new part introduced in 1994. The type 1 half bushes were replaced by the type 2 kind. The main difference with these is the gripping strength. The type Is had a much stronger grip, too strong for most purposes, while the type IIs were easier to remove.

Not exactly. In the same link from the newer one, you can see they were introduced in 1991 already.