Well in the end it is like those 2014 1h sets... some are already available at some places, so are those 2013 or 2014?

Perhaps it was a 1982 set available in 1981?

Edit: did anyone ask for this?

1982.jpg

Edited by aol000xw

Well in the end it is like those 2014 1h sets... some are already available at some places, so are those 2013 or 2014?

Perhaps it was a 1982 set available in 1981?

Maybe, what year do 2014 sets (boxes, instructions) say that are already available now? 2013 or 2014?

do you still have this CAD-file of the large programmable crane? If yes, may i ask you if you could extract a part list from it? This model is simply awesome and i would like to build it - i have the book 8888 but i would be convenient if i could check which parts i need to bricklink... thanks a lot in advance!

I've posted a parts list for you here. 501 parts.

@blakbird, any news regarding the 8846 mystery?

Sorry, I've not had any time to look into it and probably won't soon. For the moment I'll concede that you are correct about the date and add it to my list of errata to correct some day.

Thanks for posting, I didn't know about this. I use an ISP owned by a friend of mine who shares my other hobby, amateur rocketry. He hosts a lot of rocketry related web sites as well. Looks like something got messed up in the DNS registry so it is routing people to the wrong site. I have contacted him and will get it corrected as soon as possible.

Edit: fixed.

Dear Blakbird, I would like to ask that is "Technicopedia" still an ongoing project? Is there any plan for future revisions? Thanks and Happy Easter!

Edited by Interceptor

Well, I spent all last week working on some changes to Technicopedia which I uploaded last weekend. I was waiting to see if anyone would notice (I was betting on nychase or allanp), but no one has!

Well, I haven't checked the site in a while because of the lack of updates :laugh: But I'll take a look now!

Well, I spent all last week working on some changes to Technicopedia which I uploaded last weekend. I was waiting to see if anyone would notice (I was betting on nychase or allanp), but no one has!

I actually don't see any changes that are jumping out at me. Could you point me in the right direction?

Yeah, I haven't found anything new either? It's all lies!

Edited by jantjeuh

Hmmm, I didn't think the changes were that subtle. Take a look at the history pages for each year and you should see the difference.

That is strange. :classic: The google's cached pages from Aug 23rd are identical with the current ones. What did you upload last weekend? :wink:

The changes I have made were to address one of the primary reasons for the lack of recent updates. Those of you who have been following for a long time will remember that there was a good reason for the lack of updates for a while. I had to take apart my entire collection to move (twice) and it took nearly 2 years to put it all back together again. But that excuse has been outdated for at least a couple of years since my collection has been fully assembled for that time. Other than lack of motivation, my more recent problem has been space. Not only is my LEGO room full of models, but I don't have a good place to photograph more than one at a time. In order to show all the models for a given year, I need to get them all off the shelf and arrange them somewhere. This somewhere needs to have enough space for all of them, be free of clutter, and I need to have enough space to stand back and photograph them. Of even greater difficulty are the category pictures. To take a picture of all the dune buggies, for example, I may have to make room for dozens of models of different sizes. Whereas I only need to take the annual history photos once, I may need to take a new category photo every time a new model is added to that category. Beyond the space required to take the photos, this whole process also requires that my entire collection be assembled and accessible at all times so that I can take new photos as required. This was a big problem in my new house since I just don't have anywhere to take this kind of picture, and besides that my collection has grown to the point that it is simply impossible to keep everything assembled and displayed all at the same time. Some models are going to have start being put in storage. But what does that do to the future updates of Technicopedia?

I decided that I need to fundamentally rethink how I do these group pictures. The solution was obvious, but comes with its own problems. I need to do all the group pictures with CAD. With CAD I can easily arrange all the models for a given year or in a given type in any way I like without regard to space. I also don't need access to the physical model. I'll still use the physical model for all the photos and animations on the detail pages, but once I've written about a model I can theoretically take it apart. With this in mind, I decided to go back and replace all the annual pictures from 1977 to 1995 with new renders. This is not as easy as it sounds. Firstly, I need an LDraw file of every model, and there were about a dozen in that age range for which I had no file. I went back and created each of those from scratch, also adding a revolving animation to each page. To do the annual images, I couldn't just render each model individually or there would be no way to ensure a common scale. That meant I needed to make a single file which included all the models for the year. The technical challenges I faced in doing that are beyond the scope of this topic, but I figured it all out and have a good process going. If you go to Technicopedia now, you'll see a new computer generated image for each year from 1977 to 1995 as well as a bunch of new revolving animations for those models which did not previously have one.

With this new technique under my belt, I am finally at the stage where I can move forward without worrying so much about the logistics of how I am going to create the content. One obstacle remains: I need an LDraw file for every model. I already have a vast collection of files, and there is a database of official sets created in LDraw right here on Eurobricks. Beyond that, it would be really helpful if people would be willing to donate files that are missing so I don't have to do everything myself. I've made such a request before but got very little response. Unfortunately, LDD files don't help me much because the conversion process is still too painful.

Feel free to take a look at the new images and let me know what you think. I'm happy to report that this means I'm actively working on 1996 right now.

I'm very happy to hear Technicopedia is still alive. :classic:

I think the renders give it a nice clean look, but I hope you keep the pictures of the individual models. That makes the site look more attractive to me.

With this new technique under my belt, I am finally at the stage where I can move forward without worrying so much about the logistics of how I am going to create the content. One obstacle remains: I need an LDraw file for every model. I already have a vast collection of files, and there is a database of official sets created in LDraw right here on Eurobricks. Beyond that, it would be really helpful if people would be willing to donate files that are missing so I don't have to do everything myself. I've made such a request before but got very little response. Unfortunately, LDD files don't help me much because the conversion process is still too painful.

I would be happy to help out with ldraw models. I don't work very fast, due to a lack of free time, but if you can tell me which models you are still missing I can start working on them. I've contributed a few in the ldraw thread, but most were duplicates or already on technicopedia. Just let me know.

Great news! Well done to revive your project. After BrickWiki went offline for a two years I was so excited to have it back even if we had to move to a new URL. I can now explore your site and add an article!

Best wishes for success!

Hurray! Inwas waiting for this news wih little hope, but here it comes :)

I guess I've read the whole technicopedia twice already...

Very good news indeed!

As for LDraw files, maybe it would be better if you published a list of the models you are missing, to make sure we don't duplicate work?