Sign in to follow this  
YellowCorvette

(WIP LDD MOC) How 75098 should have been

Since that I'm extremely disappointed with 75098, I using some time to think that how 75098 should have been. So i started today and see wherever my re-imagination of 75098 will be ever slightly better that the TLG's 75098. This is now currently my biggest LDD MOC project after for this one.

I started with the shield generators since that they should be bigger in 75098. I will design the shield generators more like a display piece that a undersized display piece with weird play features (cough* 75098* cough). Here's my early design and I planned to build a internal structutre and built it completely later.

25299735765_6e329e724a_z.jpg (WIP)(LDD)How 75098 Assault on Hoth should have been by Armstrong X-Wing, on Flickr

What did you guys (And girls) think?

Nice Mod! Could you put 4 together? I don't know why TLG didn't put 4 in, in the first place. I agree the majority of people are disappointed with this model.

Oh yeah I certainly do prefer your approach and especially the scale of the generators. I have something similar I'm working on.

I do, however, enjoy the silly "explosion" effect TLG added to 75098. Not enough to buy it, but still... I planned to Bricklink that part of the build anyway.

It's a relief that after all these years, TLG is finally acknowledging the importance of the shield generator to Hoth's iconic playset.

Thanks for the comments! Here's some pictures of my latest progress so far......

24673628084_26020f5ba2_z.jpg Shield generator internal structure by Armstrong X-Wing, on Flickr

Here's a look at the internal structure of one of the shield generators.

25008654100_bcea568f8b_z.jpg hoth shield generator 2 by Armstrong X-Wing, on Flickr

Here's what one of the shield generators will looks like when it's finished. The 4 generators will later been put together via 8x16, 6x24 and other big plates.

25186000932_60dff16b2e_z.jpg hoth shield generator 3 by Armstrong X-Wing, on Flickr

Darth vader is in the picture to shown the scale of the generator.

Same like before, what did you guys (And girls) think?

'How . . . should have been' - well that's a bold title. Perhaps to much on a bigheaded side really.

Except of the nice shape created by these round bricks, I don't see anything to groundbreaking or super fancy on your design, which is not that original anyway:

1447237135m_DISPLAY.jpg

Random find on MocPages (http://www.moc-pages.com/moc.php/421621)

Anyway, the color scheme is not movie-accurate. There is nothing like thick dark stripe in the middle. The connections between discs should have smaller diameter (more like on the image above). Your internal structure is very brick-wasting. Such design would not be suitable for the set element. And since you don't include 'weird play feature', you can make this rigid with using way less bricks in more clever way.

In the end, the only positive is the size and yet, you know that TLG designers deal with restrictions there. If you called this just your Hoth MOC, I wouldn't bring up this critique (would probably give you heads up and best wishes for your progress) but you apparently try to line up how some set 'should have been', which means you have to measure your creatinon with the same or higher standards (and I wouldn't even claim to know all the criteria)!