After a timely message saved him from falling prey to a land shark, Captain Anthony Genaro found himself in the best circumstance he could ever have hoped for. A brief stop at the Port Admiral's office resulted in Genaro receiving a letter that stated, among other things, that he was "to be appointed as Captain of His Most Righteous Majesty's Ship, the Pride of Poseidon" and to make all haste in preparing her for sea. Seeing as several other ships had recently been paid off, Genaro fairly had his pick of seamen, and before long, he had filled all the watches with barley a landsman between them.

Though one of the smaller ships in the Oleander fleet, she is well armed. Six eight-pounders along her sides, along with two swivel guns in the bows, marines, and a well-trained crew make the Pride of Poseidon a match for almost any foe foolish enough to challenge Oleon

Overview

24649692994_22c86d382c_z.jpgPride of Poseidon by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

25280346835_0d73d64c93_z.jpgPride of Poseidon by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

Fully manned

24984743980_58c054085e_z.jpgPride of Poseidon by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

24984732760_d0eea623ea_z.jpgPride of Poseidon by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

A last shot showing how I used hinge bricks to get the hull's slope.

25280336495_1581a32ebb_z.jpgPride of Poseidon by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My main goal was to create as historically accurate a sloop as possible, and I'm fairly pleased with the results. It was definitely a learning process for me, and I'm sure that my next vessel will come out even better. And advice as to how I can improve the rigging (except ratlines, which I intentionally left out) is appreciated.

Comments and criticism are welcome.

Edited by Captain Genaro

Oh that Sir is a very nice looking addition to the rapidly growing Oleander Navy! I particularly like the sails - the detail is excellent and must have taken you a long time to make. Dark red hulls always look impressive as well!

I'm no expert, but as she has two 'jibes' wouldn't she be a cutter? I only comment as I was recently educated when I incorrectly labeled my sloop Saucy Gibbon as a cutter! Not that it matters, Pride of Poseidon looks fantastic and certainly sports a most appropriate name for an Oleander vessel! Well done!

Great one, Captain Genaro! Lovely vessel, instant awwwwwwhhhhhh :pir-wub:

I, too, love the color scheme, dark red - black - gold/yellow. Good mix. Will try that out also. Good job on the hull, but the true eyecandy is the sails and rigging. Regarding your goal, in my eyes you passed with distinction! She will make a fine addition to the ever growing Oleander Navy :thumbup:

I'm no expert, but as she has two 'jibes' wouldn't she be a cutter? I only comment as I was recently educated when I incorrectly labeled my sloop Saucy Gibbon as a cutter! Not that it matters, Pride of Poseidon looks fantastic and certainly sports a most appropriate name for an Oleander vessel! Well done!

Haha, the notorious question of definition. Several levels of debate possible. Please correct me if I'm wrong: By a definition focussing on the purpose of the vessel the term 'sloop (of war)' was considered everything not being a rated vessel, hence a 'ship', and this is a military vessel, so the 'Pride of Poseidon' is a 'sloop (of war)'. Mast- and sailplan wise, so by a definition focussing on construction, I would also call her a cutter, since her mast is placed pretty much central.

That's a great ship.

Your hull is cleverly done of course, but I think the best is the sails and rigging.

Very good entry for the Challenge.

Edited by Faladrin

Hey! Another great vessel joins Oleon navy! This is a real beauty and i really love her rigging!

The technics axle connectors are really cut for making masts and i too intent to use them in the future (e.g. when my supplies grow). About the sails: did you use sewing machine for the "string" sail details or are they glued somehow? Also very nice is the stern decoration. And the crew...Oh, the proud Oleander crew, our nation's finest! pirate_tong.gif

Safe trips and may you capture many of our enemies ships!

Good looking ship. You put much work into the rigging. :thumbup: Now that you mentioned it, I am curious why the rat lines were intentionally left out.

Oh that Sir is a very nice looking addition to the rapidly growing Oleander Navy! I particularly like the sails - the detail is excellent and must have taken you a long time to make. Dark red hulls always look impressive as well!

Thank you. The sails and rigging were rather time consuming, but the hardest single part had to be the blocks (fortunately I only used 8). As for the term sloop, Kolonialbeamter's explanation is correct. Her rating is that of a sloop-of-war while her sail plan is that of a cutter. I'll specify that in the introduction.

Great ship! I really like the sails, and the gull looks really good!

Very kind, thank you.

Great one, Captain Genaro! Lovely vessel, instant awwwwwwhhhhhh :pir-wub:

I, too, love the color scheme, dark red - black - gold/yellow. Good mix. Will try that out also. Good job on the hull, but the true eyecandy is the sails and rigging. Regarding your goal, in my eyes you passed with distinction! She will make a fine addition to the ever growing Oleander Navy :thumbup:

The color scheme was chosen as those were the bricks at my disposal, and I think it turned out really nicely. Of course, I'm also partial to the Nelson Chequer, so I'm not sure which colors I'll stick with.

Glad you like the rigging. It really adds a lot to a ship, and it's rewarding to see it all come together.

That's a great ship.

Your hull is cleverly done of course, but I think the best is the sails and rigging.

Very good entry for the Challenge.

Thank you. Hopefully this makes up for my poor showing (total absence) in the last challenge.

Hey! Another great vessel joins Oleon navy! This is a real beauty and i really love her rigging!

The technics axle connectors are really cut for making masts and i too am intenting to use them in the future (e.g. when my supplies grow). About the sails: did you use sewing machine for the "string" sail details or are they glued somehow? Also very nice is the stern decoration. And the crew...Oh, the proud Oleander crew, our nation's finest! pirate_tong.gif

Safe trips and may you capture many of our enemies ships!

The sails are hand sewn to the yards, and the string is connected to the sail with glue.

While I would have preferred an all-blue crew (none of those despicable red shirts and bandannas), these lads are among the best hands on the seas.

Fine ship!

Thank you, sir.

Good looking ship. You put much work into the rigging. :thumbup: Now that you mentioned it, I am curious why the rat lines were intentionally left out.

Glad the rigging is appreciated. Basically, I thought the rat lines would require too much time, and I want her to be ready for this month's MCRA. Plus, I'm not sure I'll keep the Poseidon in one piece, so I don't want to invest too much in the rigging.

Edited by Captain Genaro

That is a truly beautiful little vessel, Captain. And if this is a build where you didn't "want to invest too much in the rigging", I can hardly imagine what kind of rafaelian masterpieces we will see in the future! pirate_oh.gif I like the true to life details like the bowsprit and mast in two parts, and the various stays and shrouds, so you are completely forgiven the lack of ratlines! pirate_wink.gif

Pray, tell me more about how you made the sails - they look amazingly realistic. Pweeeeease... pirate_hmpf.gif

The hull is very nicely shaped too, and I like the look of her cannons, even though I would like to see a detail shot of them. That raking mast gives her a very distinct look too, and merchants will know to run as soon as they spot it on the horizon! Will she be a class 2A? That seems most fitting to me.

As to her rating: I am not entirely sure all vessels below 6th rate would be classified sloops. I seem to remember references to fleet actions where an admiral commanded x ships of the line, y frigates, z sloops, and q cutters.

I think that while a sloop (of war) *could* be cutter-rigged, some cutters would be too small to be considered a sloop. It probably has something to do with the rank of her master and commander, but I am not entirely sure how.

Whether this would be considered a sloop of war, or something smaller, I do not know, though pirate_tong.gif

But back to the real beef - this is freaking fantastic. Well done! I approve a million times over!

Super busy weekend for me but I’m making sure I take a moment to comment on this one for two reasons. Firstly I was just wondering the other day what ever happened to your Brig-Sloop project which seemed to be going so well and this one shows uppirate_laugh2.gif . I also find it to be a rather stand-out build. I know I’m a little late to the festivities but I’m gonna just go on all the same, sorry if I cover old ground. It’s either compose or catch-up before I crash: :pir-sad2:

Though she may be a bit short bow to stern everything here is very well executed and detail inclusive. The rig over all is very well proportioned to her size as well. The clothe sails, complete with seams and reef points are indeed impressive. I like the custom pennant and ensign as well. It’s a bit hard to tell from the images available but did you used “curved hull” method or just hinges. Either way she very shapely. I like the use of hinges on the bottom to simulate counter. I would certainly say, as a lesson, she was a success as well; you’re closer to that point where it looks like a ship before it looks like a Lego ship.

Your efforts in rigging have not gone unnoticed. One thing that bugs though: the mainsail spars (gaff and boom) You have stand-ins for the halyards and topping lifts yet the spars are still connected with technic connectors. I can’t say it’s wrong or bad. I will say, if you went that far to include those lines, functional or not, you could stream line things a bit further. For one making a yoke and stringing halyards is actually very easy, so you could just hang the sail the real-world way. Barring that I’d suggest reorienting your technic connector something like the image below. You see there I used a technic axle hung from 1 X 2 lift arms to suggest at something like a snow mast, a common setup for ships of the 18th-19th centuries where square and gaff sails share the same mast. This way the spar doesn’t have that strange bend in it just before it meets the mast. I didn’t come up with this, I just couldn’t remember who did so I could reference their MOC. Instead I just mocked it up in LDD real quickpir_wacko.gif . Either way it’s a good idea.

snow%20rig%20proposal_zpsa9pg6tbt.png

Thanks for sharing her.

Just to chime in on the one thing I caught; Kolonialbeamter seems to have the right of it. "Sloop" depends on whether you referring in maritime terms to her rig, or as in this case to her RN rating.

Edited by kurigan

That is a truly beautiful little vessel, Captain. And if this is a build where you didn't "want to invest too much in the rigging", I can hardly imagine what kind of rafaelian masterpieces we will see in the future! pirate_oh.gif I like the true to life details like the bowsprit and mast in two parts, and the various stays and shrouds, so you are completely forgiven the lack of ratlines! pirate_wink.gif

Pray, tell me more about how you made the sails - they look amazingly realistic. Pweeeeease... pirate_hmpf.gif

The hull is very nicely shaped too, and I like the look of her cannons, even though I would like to see a detail shot of them. That raking mast gives her a very distinct look too, and merchants will know to run as soon as they spot it on the horizon! Will she be a class 2A? That seems most fitting to me.

But back to the real beef - this is freaking fantastic. Well done! I approve a million times over!

That is some high praise; thank you very much, sir. Yes, she is a 2A.

The sails are fairly easy to make. I'd imagine that you'll go through most of the steps in the normal course of making a sail, and the extra steps are very easy.

1) Measure the dimensions for the sails and use paper (old newspaper in my case) to get a pattern for the sail.

2) Trace the pattern onto the cloth you are using for the sail.

3) Use a pencil to draw the various lines on the sail.

4) To prevent fraying, I used a water and glue mixture and pasted it along the edge of each sail. After the dried, I cut the sails.

5) Attach string to the sails if appropriate, and sew the sails onto the spars.

If something doesn't make sense, please let me know.

And here is a shot showing the cannons. Swivel gun to the left, cannons on the right.

25321501906_2049666c0f.jpgAnatomy of a Cannon by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

Super busy weekend for me but I’m making sure I take a moment to comment on this one for two reasons. Firstly I was just wondering the other day what ever happened to your Brig-Sloop project which seemed to be going so well and this one shows uppirate_laugh2.gif . I also find it to be a rather stand-out build. I know I’m a little late to the festivities but I’m gonna just go on all the same, sorry if I cover old ground. It’s either compose or catch-up before I crash: :pir-sad2:

Though she may be a bit short bow to stern everything here is very well executed and detail inclusive. The rig over all is very well proportioned to her size as well. The clothe sails, complete with seams and reef points are indeed impressive. I like the custom pennant and ensign as well. It’s a bit hard to tell from the images available but did you used “curved hull” method or just hinges. Either way she very shapely. I like the use of hinges on the bottom to simulate counter. I would certainly say, as a lesson, she was a success as well; you’re closer to that point where it looks like a ship before it looks like a Lego ship.

Your efforts in rigging have not gone unnoticed. One thing that bugs though: the mainsail spars (gaff and boom) You have stand-ins for the halyards and topping lifts yet the spars are still connected with technic connectors. I can’t say it’s wrong or bad. I will say, if you went that far to include those lines, functional or not, you could stream line things a bit further. For one making a yoke and stringing halyards is actually very easy, so you could just hang the sail the real-world way. Barring that I’d suggest reorienting your technic connector something like the image below. You see there I used a technic axle hung from 1 X 2 lift arms to suggest at something like a snow mast, a common setup for ships of the 18th-19th centuries where square and gaff sails share the same mast. This way the spar doesn’t have that strange bend in it just before it meets the mast. I didn’t come up with this, I just couldn’t remember who did so I could reference their MOC. Instead I just mocked it up in LDD real quickpir_wacko.gif . Either way it’s a good idea.

Thanks for sharing her.

Just to chime in on the one thing I caught; Kolonialbeamter seems to have the right of it. "Sloop" depends on whether you referring in maritime terms to her rig, or as in this case to her RN rating.

I do appreciate you taking some time out of your weekend to comment. The brig-sloop is still in (mostly) one piece, just sitting in a box. Frankly, I went through a bit of a dark-age in terms of pirates, but BOBS brought me out of it. I'll certainly get working on the brig again, though it may be a while before I have anything worth posting.

The hull is made exclusively of hinge plates. This LDD picture shows a rough outline of what she looks like, though for the life of me, I cannot seem to get all the hinges to connect.

25052800880_a9592013ea.jpgPride of Poseidon by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

Your feedback on the rigging is very helpful. I'll experiment a bit with functioning halyards (you make it sound fairly easy) and try to incorporate them in my next project. The design for the snow mast is great and eliminates the odd bend in the spar. Thank you for sharing that.

Edited by Captain Genaro

Excellent vessel Captain G, great job with the hull, and the rigging and masts look superb as well! :pir-wub: The blue flags do look a bit out of place in the color-scheme, but I suppose there was no way around that! pir_laugh2.gifpirate_laugh2.gif

This is a fantastic vessel from the beautiful custom hull to the realistic rigging to the brick-built guns. I like the colorscheme and attention to detail throughout. The swivels look a little bulky but otherwise are an excellent design. The crew looks very fitting as well. It all adds up to a wonderful result. Excellent work!