Sharks can be just as dangerous by land as by sea, and, despite his luck at sea, Captain Anthony Genaro found himself in the company of one of the most vicious of all the land sharks. Promises of precious metals by the ton, possibly even gold, just sitting under their feet waiting to be unearthed had already convinced Genaro's friend, Captain Amadeus Leon, to invest a colossal sum into the project, and Genaro was seemingly about to fall prey as well. He may be able to smoke false colors almost instantly and without doubt he could tell when a ship was spilling its wind, but seemingly any landsman who used terms such as "annual yield" and "rate of return" could make a fool out of Genaro. And despite his prize agent's best fiscal advice, Genaro was willing to cancel his previous investment in a merchantman and put it all into the mining venture.

25161979152_f9fe4a5861_z.jpgBeginnings by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

Just as the land shark was about to hand Genaro a pen and some papers to sign (nothing major, just power of attorney, access to financial resources, etc.), a commotion got Geanro's attention. A wagon hauling barrels to the site blocked a messenger's horse, forcing the boy to dismount and walk the rest of the way. "Captain Anthony Genaro, sir," said the boy, wearing the uniform of the local guard. He held out a letter to Captain Genaro, simply stating that it was of the utmost importance that he read it directly. Very well, said Genaro and a brief glance showed that it was from the Port-Admiral. Terribly sorry for the delay, it said. Some clerk had bungled the whole affair as the Little Hermes was merely a temporary post until her true captain could report aboard. Genaro was to have a new sloop, the Pride of Poseidon directly and he must return with the messenger at once. "I have another horse waiting, sir, and may I be the first to congratulate you" said the messenger as soon as Genaro had finished reading.

24653464063_d56420eaa1_z.jpgBeginnings by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

"Why, give you joy, old friend," cried Amadeus upon hearing the news. "Of course you must be off, no question about it. Besides the metal isn't going anywhere and you mustn't keep the admiral waiting." Through a forced smile, the land shark completely agreed with Amadeus and declared that Genaro must be off "but might he consider simply putting his name to these documents first, wouldn't take more than a moment." "Oh, no, no," cried Genaro "it would never do, and it would be most ungrateful of me to delay the admiral by a second. No, there is no great harm if the mine is delayed a few days." And Genaro followed the messenger back to the horses, smiling for Fortuna truly had blessed him today.

25161990202_f4925f50c9_z.jpgBeginnings by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

As always, comments and criticism are welcome.

Well well, captain, somehow this (apart from the good timing) reminds me of something.... *cough cough* O'BRIAN :D

Very well transposed for BoBS and great build to go with it! I do feel bad for Cpt Leon, though ;)

Approved!

Great vegetation! I really love these trees, and the wagon looks fine too

Good vegetation.

Nice story.

Is that your first build to license a mine ? If it is that's a very good idea to do so.

I approve

Wow, a mine-to-be! Very convincing depiction of the ongoing work. That sextant... measuring device whatstheterm on the left is very cool, I might steal that.

Nice story also. Is there an inside joke somewhere, as Bregir hinted at? I love inside jokes. I'd love to be part of one someday!

Love this build, once licensed a mine would greatly contribute to Oleon's economy.

I appreciate all the approvals, but I don't think they do anything for the second free build, do they?

Very well transposed for BoBS and great build to go with it! I do feel bad for Cpt Leon, though ;)

Approved!

Leon comes from a wealthy family; I'm sure he'll be just finepir_laugh2.gif.

Well well, captain, somehow this (apart from the good timing) reminds me of something.... *cough cough* O'BRIAN :D

Silence fore and aft! Mr. Clonfert, take that man's name and stop his grog for a week!

In all seriousness, this is heavily inspired by O'Brian and his telling of Aubrey's adventures in wonderful world of miningpirate_laugh2.gif.

Great vegetation! I really love these trees, and the wagon looks fine too

Thank you. The trees were fun to build and I, too, think they came out nicely.

Good vegetation.

Nice story.

Is that your first build to license a mine ? If it is that's a very good idea to do so.

I approve

Correct. This is the first build, (which reminds me, I need to fill out the license form).

Wow, a mine-to-be! Very convincing depiction of the ongoing work. That sextant... measuring device whatstheterm on the left is very cool, I might steal that.

Nice story also. Is there an inside joke somewhere, as Bregir hinted at? I love inside jokes. I'd love to be part of one someday!

Love this build, once licensed a mine would greatly contribute to Oleon's economy.

Not sure how practical the measuring devise is, as it looks like something a conman produced to impress ill-educated sailors.

I wouldn't say inside joke, but if you're familiar with Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series, this is fairly similar to a predicament one of the protagonists found himself in.

Nice scene - I approve :thumbup:

Thank you.

Yes, this is a very nice scene. Before you can have a mine you have to do a little prospecting! (Or sales-pressure if you will...) The rocky terrain is nice, the trees look great and the horse-drawn wagon is a good feature.

The story is good even if it isn't entirely original and you have a good cast of characters. Keep it up. :classic:

A really nice idea and well executed!

Story? check

Nice wagon? check

Awesome minifigs? check

First Oleon mine-to-be? check!

Captain Genaro explained this perfectly, and if you ever feel like reading an epic series on naval action, the Aubrey-Maturin series is brilliant. The books can be read individually, but I would most definitely suggest starting from the first. (Beware: You might get hooked pirate_laugh2.gif )

In fact, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone with an interest in the age of sail, abd a love for a good story!

Very nice build and hilarious story Captain Genaro, the landscaping device (conman thing-a-ma-bob? default_roflmao.gif) is excellent, and the wagon and landscaping are quite neat as well! Good work with the photography too, though a more flat background (large sheets of glossed paper is what I use) would improve the presentation a bit pirate_wink.gif Great job overall though, and (if you are going to licence this) congrats on BoBS' first licenced mine pirate_satisfied.gif