BrickOn

[Cor - Feb FB3] The Crossed Swords Tavern

This is my 3rd freebuild build of the month and first property (so feel free to approve). I've been experimenting with roofing, not entirely sure if this one works for me, but I thought I'd give it ago any comments welcome (the roof itself is one whole piece that rests fairly securely on top of the main walls).

Another Corrington Tavern in Arlinsport; The Crossed Swords is more of a shack than a Tavern. With building materials scarce everything was savaged to build this watering hole, including part of a decommissioned ships hull for the roof. But this not stop the Patrons enjoying themselves within her walls. the company was pleasing and the liqueur flowed freely which was as much as anyone could ask. While Sir James was the Patron of the establishment he did not often frequent the place. on the occasions that he did he largely drank alone and swiftly.

24640393454_0c6e016e88.jpgTheTavernCrossedSwords, on Flickr

25152764822_eea8aa1bcb.jpgCrossSwordsTavern, on Flickr

25271023705_da4b06cfac.jpgTavern, on Flickr

25271021725_8b557a2e53.jpgTavernCrossSwords, on Flickr

Eeeek I've just realised my title is somewhat lacking please could a MOD edit it to read [Cor - Feb FB3] at the beginning? Thank you.

Edited by BrickOn

The interior is really nice and i approve this moc due to it. And i also like the two muskets and wheel. But you are right on the roof thing. It is waaay bulky and somewhat ugly :-p, as totally opposed to what you usually build :-)

What's up with all the taverns here today? Have you Corries captured a rum runner lately?

Now, I like this bar. And in fact I do like the idea with the prefabs for a roof. Also fits the early settlement idea well, as you mentioned. To smoothen the transition between the 'studs-up' walls and the 'studs-down' roof I suggest to simply use tiles on both sides. A roof constructed 'stud-down' also has the advantage that you can easily decorate the ceiling and add a chandelier (here another ship's wheel along with some candles could add even more flavor), for example.

Good job!

I approve thumbup.gif

The interior is really nice and i approve this moc due to it. And i also like the two muskets and wheel. But you are right on the roof thing. It is waaay bulky and somewhat ugly :-p, as totally opposed to what you usually build :-)

Thanks, I will persevere will my roof building... perhaps I will raise the roof and add a second story.

Sir, where is this tavern built? Our settlements would welcome more properties to grow :D

Decommissioned hulls for the roof is an interesting take indeed.

Opps so much to remember, in Arlinsport.

What's up with all the taverns here today? Have you Corries captured a rum runner lately?

Now, I like this bar. And in fact I do like the idea with the prefabs for a roof. Also fits the early settlement idea well, as you mentioned. To smoothen the transition between the 'studs-up' walls and the 'studs-down' roof I suggest to simply use tiles on both sides. A roof constructed 'stud-down' also has the advantage that you can easily decorate the ceiling and add a chandelier (here another ship's wheel along with some candles could add even more flavor), for example.

Good job!

I approve thumbup.gif

Thanks, I even thought about the chandelier, but did not follow through, okay I will build one :-)

Okay Chandelier is built and you know what this guy is thinking...

24646072073_5c25fb6960.jpgChandelier, on Flickr

Edited by BrickOn

Lovely little tavern. I approve!

While I agree that a bit of tilework would have eased the transition between studs-up and studs-down, I think the hull piece works tolerably well for roof.

The interiors are nice and lively, especially with that chandeliiiiiier.

As to your walls, you should try to mix the plates more with the bricks, so that the bricks are also placed more randomly. Right now, you have basically taken out a few bricks and replaced them by tiles, which looks nice, but isn't perfect.

Well done, though!

Another great watering hole for Arlinsport! Nice to see Arlinsport growing so quickly. I myself was contemplating a build with an upside down hull, but you pulled it off quite nicely.

Edit: Btw your chandelier addition made me laugh. Nicely done!

Edited by Mike S

Very nice building and group of figs, BO, and that chandelier is a great addition as well! pirate_wink.gif I also like your use of that boat-hull for the roof, but I would agree with KB that tiling the bottom of it off would add to the build pirate_classic.gif Keep it up! :thumbup:

Really clever use of the hulls for the roof. I love it!

The interior is really nice, too. Varying stonework for the floors and plenty of liquor and a chandler for swinging on make this a nice build. I approve :thumbup:.

Interesting tavern. I like the concept of the ship-hull roof but it looks a little bulky in this case. The rest of the structure is pretty good, and the interior is detailed nicely. Good collection of minifigs and the added chandelier makes a big difference. Keep it up.

Edit: Approved! :thumbup:

Edited by Captain Dee

I can't help trying to figure out how the roof would look if it is turned 90 degrees, with the ornaments above the door side. Nice touch with the barrel tables. Lively scene. Looks like there are a lot of connections being made *Bada-boom-tsch*