Dutchiedoughnut

New model

Hi everyone,

I've dreamed up a new design, and it rolled right off the computer screen ;). So this time, I won't bore you with LDD screenshots. But with a box of bricks instead:

Box%20of%20bricks_zpsagjtycfc.jpg

As you can clearly see from the box, the model is a 2-8-0 British locomotive in dark green. For the quick parts counters, it'll have about 900 bricks.

If you tip over the box it looks something like this:

Pile%20of%20bricks_zpsm7dy3dk5.jpg

Okay, lets stop the monkey business and get down to the work at hand. First, the drive train:

Drive%20train%20beginnings%202_zpsl9lbezes.jpg

The model will have all its main drive wheels driven by an M motor. It turnes out that's a tad slow, so I might change that to an L or XL.

Also worth mentioning: the middle 8-tooth gear tends to move around a bit. It'll stay in place and the drive works fine. But I want to secure it a little better.

Drive%20and%20undercarriage_zpskkfz0loi.jpg

The ball and socket joint pictured above didn't work out, so it has been replaced by a hook and a 1/2 stud wide Technic beam.

Things are moving along now, here is the chassis and cab:

Chassis%20and%20cab_zpscqughyjg.jpg

I will be adding more later (as I need to get to work).

Edit:

The boiler under construction:

Boiler%20construction_zps7boktqru.jpg

Boiler%20construction%203_zpsoemam0os.jpg

And the finished body. I'm particularly happy with the tapered boiler. It's both taller and wider at the firebox end compared to the front end. Shown here without the battery box, the package is very strong and you're able to see under the boiler to the drive wheels at the far end:

Main%20chassis%20and%20boiler%203_zps5ivcviov.jpg

And a shot when the engine is on the track with the front truck installed:

Engine%20only_zpsqmovzxnb.jpg

Edited by Dutchiedoughnut

If you already have problems with speed when using an M motor I don't think you should use the L or a XL because they are slower then the M.

I'd go for a L-motor, it's only 1 stud wider than the M (compared to the app. 2 extra stud off the XL) so that should help fitting it in. It also has much more power than the M so that'll help too, because 1 M just won't pull anything

I do have an idea where to fit the XL motor - I have a couple of LDD models to get ideas. It will help move the battery box to the tender. At the moment I've rebuilt the engine with a battery box in the front of the boiler, but that ruins the looks and structural integrity of the model.

By swapping over to a L motor, you can go with straight gearing comparatively, keeping the torque, but increasing the speed. Also, I would suggest going flanged driver, blind driver, flanged driver, and blind driver over your current setup if possible. It will help prevent binding in the corners of regular LEGO track. If you are using ME track, then you should be fine.

While I'd love to use ME tracks, I don't have any yet. Swapping the wheels over might be a good idea, at the moment the front axle isn't driven and I have traction issues. I'm sure there is binding going on in the curves as well.

By the way, I've added pictures to the first post (and I now have an avatar, yay)

I have a bunch of parts meant for a class 4mt, but I dont like it very much in real bricks. So I might try another 2-8-0 and use an L motor in one and a XL motor in the other.

And thanks! I love how she looks. I should get round to doing some proper pictures with a good background and lighting :)

Looking good. I was going to suggest testing the drive train before bricking over the motor to see if it has the speed and pulling power you need. I've made a few MOCs with M-motors and they work fine for shunters and MOW vehicles going slowly and pulling a bunch of 6 wide cars.

Wow! Looks great! BTW, I totally knew exactly what you were building and what it would look like when I saw the box of bricks. :wink:

Very nice build and boiler design Dutchiedoughnut ! Another great design from you.

For more power should be possible to swap out for an L motor I would have thought.

Also, If you don't power the axle nearest to the motor you can use that space to gear up for speed, downside of that is you'd probably have to move the motor higher up in the build to make way for a larger gear.

Edited by bricks n bolts

Food for thought. If I swap out the motor for an L motor - and the battery box and IR receiver to the tender - I would have to place the motor higher up in the boiler to account for the bigger size. As it is, the M motor is a snug fit for the lower firebox. It should fit inside the boiler just fine (the boiler is mostly empy). It sounds like a better alternative than the XL motor, which would use up space in the cab...

I guess you can tell I'm an engineer ;). Right now I can get an L motor to fit in LDD (like a glove!). Next is getting the tender to fit the IR receiver and the battery box. And I want to reduce the gap between engine and tender to one half stud.

I'm really looking forward to this! It looks very promising and I already like the wheel arrangement. The colour looks great as well as it is with most British steam engines!

Now I don't exactly know the prototype, but I'm sure I've seen this engine on pictures before.

I hope everything works out with the motor, you might want to check out Duq's BR 55 as it also has 8 driving wheels and uses an L motor. Link to his Album

I'm eagerly awaiting updates!

Cheers, Nick

Edited by ScotNick

She's looking great. Very nice form with the boiler and good job hiding all the PF. I also like your intro with the box.

Great creation! I hope you were able to fit in the XL pf-motor, which will give you great thrust!