Sign in to follow this  
Simon_S

A Classical Greek Polis

Hello

After a long month of building, I've finally completed my latest MOC:

A Classical Greek Polis

24532888264_eafb148323_z.jpgA Classical Greek Polis by Simon Schweyer, on Flickr

Description:

In this build I tried to show the Greek culture in a small city. I don't claim that it is realistic or even 100% historical correct - I rather tried to put in there as much elements that are typical for (ancient) Greece. Yeah, it's very clichéd.

So I included (from the right to the left):

- An oracle (θόλος), inspired by the one in Delphi

- A herder with some goats. Not something special Greek, but in very many tragedies (for example: Oedipus) and myths (for example Pan, God of the sheperds) they play an important role.

- A trireme, which is a typically Greek war galley

- A vineyard: Who doesn't love Greek wine?

- The house with the tan dome: Inspired more by Santorini (also known as RedBull's Free Running City) than by anything ancient. But still fits in here.

- Behind it is the Agera (Ἀγορά) with a statue on it: It was a free space used mainly for public meetings (best view in the third picture)

- Behind it, a Greek theater. In the classical Greek Era, they didn't have any backdrops yet. Of course this theater is way too small, in comparison to the other buildings and the minifigs, but who cares?

- Last but not least (actually in the center of the build): A Greek temple (νaός), built in an ionic order, like the Artemision in Ephesos

You can view more pictures of it in this Flickr Album: Ancient Greece

Thanks for looking and have a nice evening!

- Simon Schweyer

Truly magnificent Simon! :wub: The amount of detail you've put into this is amazing. I'm especially charmed by the trireme. And great job on the minifig combo's you've created!

There are no words to describe how awesome this is...

My favorite part is the theater!

Congratulations for this stunning piece of art! :wub:

Stunning build. My favourite part is the theatre! It is incorporated in the landscape very well/ One small nitpick: the oarsmen in the galley are facing the wrong way :-)

Impressive in so many ways! I love the landscaping and you've also created some very nice and recognizeable buildings :classic:

Lovely diorama. Lots of detailed stuff to look at.

I especially like your goats. They look like small devil breed´s. Sort of like me in the morning before I get my coffee. :laugh:

But seriously, a lot of great building technique´s and nice color combinations going on.

Well done ! :classic:

Thank you all for the kind comments and especially Ecc for frontpaging my build!

That's a super diarama, even lots of small island like in Greece! Such an unspeakable piece of art with unusual building techniques. It looks very realistic.

I like the playability of your creation I like the vineyard very much!

You seem to be a heroic history fan just as I am. I like projects of historic topics and with a story behind them.

Fantastic build.

The little historic errors are indeed negligible and the vast mayority wouldn't even notice them :classic:

Your LEGO polis (megapolis) needs a story. Are you a Greek mythology fan? There are some suitable mini figures - Gorgon,Neptune, Perseus (a Spartan warier), Athena. If you create a cracken in the sea you can create an awesome vignette

Really nice, there is only one point to criticize.... Greeks didn't know to build domes and arches... the romans invented that some years later :D

Amazing series of mocs for ancient Greece Simon... This one also has a crazy amount of details...Perfectly done :wub: :wub:

I am from Greece and i have to say that it's an asolutely great built!

Very nice little city with beautiful little details..

Loved especially the Temple and the Agora! :wub:

Keep up with the good work! :thumbup: