Robert8

Best Adventurers subtheme

Best Adventurers subtheme?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Which one was the best Adventurers subtheme?

• Egypt
    • Amazon
    • Dino Island
    • Orient

I have been sketching out a two rival museum game with relics being hunted from "clues" to finding them. Then the museum team with the best score "wins" the relic. Then it could cover anything from a researcher in the library to a proper technical dig, from a car or camel train to the act of exploring the tomb/temple/crevasse itself. It could allow for tomb raiders and scientist, artefact thieves and museum officials.

That sounds real nice.

Is Pharaoh's Quest not an Adventurers theme because it doesn't have the Adventurers label from LEGO? Or because it doesn't have Johnny Thunder and his co-horts in it? Or some other reason?

Pretty much both of the reasons you mentioned. Pharaoh's Quest was to the Adventurers theme what Power Miners was to Rock Raiders. Certainly an Homage to the old line but an entirely new beast

That sounds real nice.

Also easy! :grin:

I was hoping to get some actual plans together and then start fishing for interest.

I can see from this thread and recent builds that archaeological adventure still holds a lot of interest. :thumbup:

Also easy! :grin:

I was hoping to get some actual plans together and then start fishing for interest.

I can see from this thread and recent builds that archaeological adventure still holds a lot of interest. :thumbup:

Easy, but if you need help, I'd love to help you run it. And I don't want to speak for Actor Builder, but it seems like he would be interested as well... :poke:

Pretty much both of the reasons you mentioned. Pharaoh's Quest was to the Adventurers theme what Power Miners was to Rock Raiders. Certainly an Homage to the old line but an entirely new beast

Words cannot describe how much I appreciated that Johnny Thunder's equivalent was named Jake Raines.

Words cannot describe how much I appreciated that Johnny Thunder's equivalent was named Jake Raines.

So the Duplo version will be Jason Drizzle or Jeff Sprinkles? :classic:

I wonder if we'll get an Adventurers themed set for The LEGO Movie 2 :look:

Benny and Johnny Thunder are the only retired minifigures that LEGO brought back for the film and Benny already got his set.

I wonder if we'll get an Adventurers themed set for The LEGO Movie 2 :look:

Benny and Johnny Thunder are the only retired minifigures that LEGO brought back for the film and Benny already got his set.

If Johnny gets a more important role in the movie I would think so.

If Johnny gets a more important role in the movie I would think so.

At least we can hope for a minifigure when they do the LEGO Movie 2 CMF series.

Orient Expedition had a nice variety of environments, semi-modern updates to the character prints that still hold up with today's mini-figures, and a pretty sweet prize at the end of it all that makes me still want to collect today. Plus Johnny's winter coat was really cool, so count me a fan of the theme.

In terms of a future wave, it would be nice to see a revisit of the jungle environment that the Amazon had captured, perhaps with a second round based on Central America and Aztec/Incan/Mayan ruins? A slight shift in location, but it has untapped potential, I think.

If there was a new Adventurers theme, there is only one thing it would absolutely need to have: a new zeppelin.

If there was a new Adventurers theme, there is only one thing it would absolutely need to have: a new zeppelin.

I loved that zeppelin so much, but Im not sure Lego would make such a large molded piece again... so it would likely be smaller and brick built.

I adore the Desert/Egyptian subtheme as since I was a kid I've became interested in all the egyptian related stuff like pyramids, temples, tombs etc. And of course I immediately fell in love with the first adventurers sets when they came out. I personally would like to see a diverse subtheme akin to Orient Expedition which might include various regions from all over the world. 'World Expedition' - how about that? :grin:

Edited by BrickShady

I really loved the Egypt set so much. Maybe I am biased, because it was the first one. But I simply loved when the sets showed up, with those oldtimer stile vehicles, bi-plane and so on.

And I was quite happy, to see, that it was kind of re-released with Pharao Quest. <3

I can not say that much about the others, since those headded into the time, where my mom told me, to put my lego in the basement, and I stopped buying sets. And after that, there was, so  far the beginning of Dark Age of Lego, with weak sets and so on...

I was very fortunate in the 90s to receive a lot of sets from the desert subtheme. My Temple of Anubis (Pharaoh's Forbidden Ruins) got explored plenty of times. And boy, were those good times. A few years later, my parents bought me a couple of Dino Island sets. I don't have any fond memories of those. Recently I started buying Jungle and Orient Expedition sets to get a taste of them. Now I love all subthemes almost equally except for Dino Island. Amazing prints and rare parts can be found here.  

Picking a favorite is hard. But I went with Amazon. Purely because it deserves more love on this poll and shouldn't be this far behind. There are some amazing sets here with a unique classic style. I guess if I were to pick a favorite based on quality and variation, I'd have to go with Orient Expedition. Lego truly delivered in this theme.

If there was to be a fifth subtheme, I'd say this:

On 22-3-2016 at 1:37 AM, Drewsko said:

In terms of a future wave, it would be nice to see a revisit of the jungle environment that the Amazon had captured, perhaps with a second round based on Central America and Aztec/Incan/Mayan ruins? A slight shift in location, but it has untapped potential, I think.

Right now, we have the City Jungle sets, which does have a jungle setting with ruins. Sadly, there's a clear emphasis on modern vehicles. The ruins are only a small part. So it's still untapped potential in my opinion. Another idea is to have an Islanders subtheme. With an ancient tribe living in a dangerous environment, filled with temples and broken pirate ships. A lot of this has been covered in other themes.

Luckily, we have the power of modifying and we can put Johnny Thunder wherever we want :-) 

For me, the Dino Island subtheme is my favorite, primarily because of large multitude of aircraft and treaded land vehicles featured through the sets. Of all four subthemes, it had the most prominent Dieselpunk/Sky-fi aesthetic to it because of all those vehicles, the tracked vehicles in particular reminding me of the Dieselpunk land craft of Beau Donnan. But if anything, his creations are most likely inspired after those sets, though in a much more hyperbolic way.

Now what would I want to see from a fifth subtheme of Adventurers? Something like this idea I proposed:

I may be a bit late, but I go for the jungle-subtheme (JU). The steam boat and the ancient ruins are absolutely awesome.

But desert (DE) and orient expedition (OE) are great as well. The only set from DE I don't like is pharao's forbidden ruins. The best set is sphinx secret surprise - besides the scorpion tracker which is legend.

I don't like the dino island-subtheme (DI) much (because of the dinos), but I use the dino research compound as a jungle station in my jungle-subtheme.

Edited by The Reader

We can bring Adventurers back by voting on LEGO IDEAS!

Help us choose a classic theme to be reimagined as a single new product for the 2022 LEGO Adult Portfolio, to celebrate the 90th Anniversary of The LEGO Group! We have created a list of our 30 favorite classic LEGO themes for you to choose from.

https://ideas.lego.com/activities/94a92b7c-d134-4218-a5fb-6dbc5061e133?query=&amp;sort=most_recent

Voted for it as well! :grin:

I would think it's probably one of the themes more conducive to this type of anniversary set, since I think they want to go large-scale with it, and some of the themes in the poll (like Wolfpack or some of the space/town subthemes) never really got much in the way of large sets.  A remake of the Egyptian pyramid seems to be most logical, since that subtheme was probably the most iconic (even though Dino Island was probably my favorite!).  

A remake of any of the 4 big sets would be perfect!

BrickLink - Set 5988-1 : Lego Pharaoh's Forbidden Ruins [Adventurers:Desert]  - BrickLink Reference CatalogBrickLink - Set 5986-1 : Lego Amazon Ancient Ruins [Adventurers:Jungle] -  BrickLink Reference CatalogBrickLink - Set 5987-1 : Lego Dino Research Compound [Adventurers:Dino  Island] - BrickLink Reference CatalogLEGO 7419 Adventurers Orient Expedition Dragon Fortress | BrickEconomy

The China one could overlap a bit with Monkey Kid and the Dino one would overlap with Jurassic World. 

Indeed,considering how much Lego is trying to cash in the Chinese market I wouldn't be suprised if the 4th got remade as the anniversary set.But honestly I think the best option is the Egypt set,it's much more iconic.