Robert8

Best Adventurers subtheme

Best Adventurers subtheme?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Which one was the best Adventurers subtheme?

• Egypt
    • Amazon
    • Dino Island
    • Orient

Orient was the best. Though, it does encompass three subthemes, so it had three rather large sets, to the other themes ones. Maybe you could have broken those out? But it is hard to beat the Chinese boat and the Chinese fortress. And the elephants from India.

Steve

Egypt I owned 2 sets and loved them so much. Lost one and want to get it back at some point. I currently have Johnny Thunder's Car 5918. Still missing the missing the grey steering wheel which I forgot about in my recent parts order.

I voted for Egypt. That's the theme I grew up with.

The color of the buildings, the cars, the air balloon (better than the one of Oriënt), the planes, it was a great and refreshing theme.

I have almost every set the whole theme. :classic: I am happy to have them in my collection.

The Amazon was really nice. The vehicles and buildings were simple, yes, but the colors were great. The minifigs were really good.

What I like to see, an adventure in the North (based on Viking history/mythology), discovering Greek or Roman ruins, as longs as it is more history than fantasy. The good thing is that TLG can't let the character go as well (Lego Universe, The Lego Movie, Scooby Doo set) :tongue:.

Orient. But like others have said, Orient has a bit of an unfair advantage because it encompasses several locations, but I don't care! The Orient sets were my first Adventurers sets, and they were the only Lego that received equal attention as my Star Wars sets.

As for future Adventurers sets I'm not picky! Going somewhere new would be awesome. I just want new sets! Just no Egypt. Between Adventurers, Indiana Jones, and Pharaoh's Quest, Egypt is kinda burned out.

Maybe the Action & Adventure forum could get its own building game? Adventurers- style? :moar::excited:

Edited by Junior Shark

Rats. :laugh::blush: It was more just hopeful wishing anyway. GoH/SoNE- esque, Adventurers/Indiana Jones- style? Woof, how I'd love that.

Edited by Junior Shark

Rats. :laugh::blush: It was more just hopeful wishing anyway. GoH/SoNE- esque, Adventurers/Indiana Jones- style? Woof, how I'd love that.

That would be amazing.

I won't be against people wanting to help out to create one, maybe put heads together to come up with something fun and simple to run. I've just got more of a head for mathematics applied to engineering than to gaming scores.

Seeing as Adventurers is the ever-popular sub-theme, it might get a little attention and more MOCs...

I'd be interested in helping with something like that, but we'd have to keep it simpler/less time consuming than all of the other games.

I have to say I'm surprised to see the Amazon subtheme got 0 votes so far.

Edited by Robert8

I have to say I'm surprised to see the Amazon subtheme has got 0 votes so far.

Also surprising that Dino Island has seven votes, I would assume it's out of nostalgia.

I think one problem was that it had the fewest sets of the lot. And in my personal opinion it's my second favorite series. The egypt one is just so much more iconic for me.

Egypt for me,after all this is how I was introduced to the series.

I might be getting a bit off-topic here but I've been thinking that since next year the new "Mummy" movie comes out starting Tom Cruise we might get another reboot of some sort,similar to the Pharaoh's Quest.I know it's just wishfull thinking but I've been begging for more Adventurers for years.

It is a second for me too. The Egypt series were better and the Amazon is better than Dino Island.

I have the series complete and it costs something, but it is worth the money.

I hope that TLG makes a series with more influence of the Adventures than of Pharaoh's Quest.

Interesting thread.

I'm a huge Adventurers fan (and I keep telling myself to actually build for the theme), so it's great to see there's continued interest in the theme. It does seem to be making a comeback recently, considering the recent cameos of Johnny Thunder--it's starting to look more than just coincidental, now whether that means another wave is in the future may be asking too much, but we can dream. At the least, Lego seems aware of the themes popularity and familiarity of fans with Johnny Thunder.

All that being said in terms of my favorite wave, I have to go with Egypt and then down the line exactly as they were released. Egypt seems the most 'classic' if that makes sense. It's very Indiana Jones/Mummy, but it works, and it was clearly the most complete wave.

Amazon (which shockingly has almost no votes) was great too, but significantly smaller (same with Dino). Interestingly, although I like Egypt on the whole, it's hard for me to pick out specific sets from it that I really wanted (having missed them), but for Amazon, I know in a heartbeat what sets I'd want today (Zeppelin, River Boat, etc.). I think the villains introduced in it were the best following the perfect two from Egypt--and Amazon included my favorite Adventurers character, the reverse-Johnny: Rudo Villano.

I don't feel Dino holds up well, at least in comparison to the previous waves, and especially by modern standards. The dinosaurs are rather pitiful now, but they do have a classic nostalgic feel to them (hence why I've been collecting them). But say what you will about the Dino theme itself, it has given us a wide variety of dinosaurs, and not just T-Rex and raptor variants that we have received since.

I generally feel the same about Orient--before this poll, I would have argued that it was perhaps the least liked wave, but apparently that's not true at all. To me it did not feel successful, as it was focused on three locations and seemed to be failing in each one of them. None of the new characters seemed rather memorable (I'm sure most people couldn't name them off the top of their head), and by the time of the fourth wave, there'd already been tons of cars and planes. It does make me wonder what a new wave would look like though--Orient was the closest to a 'modern' wave.

None of the new characters seemed rather memorable (I'm sure most people couldn't name them off the top of their head),

Babloo was my favorite of the "Non-Memorable Characters who nobody can remember the names of".

Orient Expedition because it was great and I got it for 70%+ off. :grin:

I think it would be great if they were traveling around the world looking for Atlantis. We could get beach, sea and coastal temple sets. There could be Brazilian, Asian islands, Japanese and Chinese sets. Plus we could get some old style subs instead of all the modern / futuristic ones. Atlantis wouldn't be run by evil sea creatures, but could be ruins full of treasure.

I won't be against people wanting to help out to create one, maybe put heads together to come up with something fun and simple to run. I've just got more of a head for mathematics applied to engineering than to gaming scores.

Seeing as Adventurers is the ever-popular sub-theme, it might get a little attention and more MOCs...

What about something along the lines of Andromedas Gates, but much simpler?

Say there are three museums or the like, and they are all competing to get funding. The only way to get funding is to find cool artifacts and junk. You make a build showing the finding of something cool or whatnot for the museum of your choice (I'm imagining one really nice museum, one sleazy "Sinister" museum and one other for variety's sake) and depending on how good the build is, as decided by the judging committee, you get a certain number of coinage for your museum.

That might make a lot more sense in my head, but it seems simple enough to keep track of.

Edited by Actor Builder

How about this:

"The year is 1930. Legendary archeologist and explorer Johnny Thunder has disappeared. Leaderless, it is up to his friends Dr. Charles Lightning and Miss Gail Storm to front his Adventurers expedition and historical preservation organization. They must search the globe for Johnny, all the while continuing to stave off the nefarious Lord Sam Sinister and his agents, who think that the past should be used for nothing more than lining their pockets with filthy lucre. They definitely do not see the past as belonging in a museum!

To aid in their efforts, Lightning and Storm are recruiting adventurers the world over to assist their cause!

Halfway across the globe, from his Scottish moor estate, Lord Sam Sinister organizes his efforts to stifle the Adventurers' increasing activity. Though he would never admit it to anyone, Sinister will miss his old nemesis Thunder. Sinister knows that only by stepping up his own recruitment efforts will he be able to defeat the Adventurers once and for all.

He needs his own adventurers- preferably ones disbarred by the American Archeological Association for profiting off of historical artifacts!

Pick your side in the greatest Adventure of all time!"

Edited by Junior Shark

How about this:

"The year is 1930. Legendary archeologist and explorer Johnny Thunder has disappeared. Leaderless, it is up to his friends Dr. Charles Lightning and Miss Gail Storm to front his Adventurers expedition and historical preservation organization. They must search the globe for Johnny, all the while continuing to stave off the nefarious Lord Sam Sinister and his agents, who think that the past should be used for nothing more than lining their pockets with filthy lucre. They definitely do not see the past as belonging in a museum!

To aid in their efforts, Lightning and Storm are recruiting adventurers the world over to assist their cause!

Halfway across the globe, from his Scottish moor estate, Lord Sam Sinister organizes his efforts to stifle the Adventurers' increasing activity. Though he would never admit it to anyone, Sinister will miss his old nemesis Thunder. Sinister knows that only by stepping up his own recruitment efforts will he be able to defeat the Adventurers once and for all.

He needs his own adventurers- preferably ones disbarred by the American Archeological Association for profiting off of historical artifacts!

Pick your side in the greatest Adventure of all time!"

I like this Idea, a simple, two sided game with a set end, that is when Johnny is found.

I have been sketching out a two rival museum game with relics being hunted from "clues" to finding them. Then the museum team with the best score "wins" the relic. Then it could cover anything from a researcher in the library to a proper technical dig, from a car or camel train to the act of exploring the tomb/temple/crevasse itself. It could allow for tomb raiders and scientist, artefact thieves and museum officials.

Is Pharaoh's Quest not an Adventurers theme because it doesn't have the Adventurers label from LEGO? Or because it doesn't have Johnny Thunder and his co-horts in it? Or some other reason?