Puvel

[COR - FB2] The Mercator (Class 2F)

Captain Cornelius had an easy voyage this time. The sea was calm and he hadn’t received any reports about possible threats in the wide area. Some of the crew were taking a nap, others were relaxing with a tasty beverage. Ezekiel was not the man to waste some down time so he decided to teach little Owen a bit about navigation and map reading.

25105218332_6e5386fd81_c.jpg

25130275711_54f89286cc_c.jpg

by Puvel The Hurn, on Flickr

Fantastic little ship, looks really smooth and sleek - those sails and the prefab hulls both look great here! The dark red is also a really good color to use to set it off! :thumbup:

That's a nice ship !

I like the incorporation of the LOTR sails and I like the anchor design, it's simple and very effective!

Good job !

Great ship! I especially like her back (and now I'm going to get a lot of critique for not knowing the right term :wink: )

Thanks guys!

Took a bit longer than planned to build this one, experimented with placing the masts and sails in different spots.

The back of the ship is my favourite part as well, it’s the only thing left from the original deck.

I think the anchor might come from the LOTR boat as well, found it when I was looking for parts to build the anchor. Actually wanted to reverse the cone and add a 1x1 cylinder but looks like I forgot to do that

Love the stern view, and the way you have used telescope pieces for the railing. A really smart vessel, I wish her fair winds!

Very nice looking ship! The dark red goes well and the detail on the stern is very nice. I personally do not like those LOTR sails, but you've used them well here.

This is the first time these sails don't bother me in an Age of Sails universe. In fact your ship looks good as a Xebec-type vessel. I especially like the hull with an exception of the (stern?)castle that feels a bit too tall. Overall a nice creation with solid colors

This is a nice smoth design, but I must admit the towering aftcastle looks out of proportion and out of place on something this size. It's well built and detailed, but it seems to overwhelm the rest of the design and makes it look a bit top-heavy. The rigging utilizes those sails well but somehow seems incomplete... The anchor and hull detailing are neat and I like that collection of minifigs. And the presentation is nice as always. Keep it up.

Thanks for the comments!

The castle is a bit big indeed, maybe that would be less obvious if I’d raised the hull of the middle section bit.

Or maybe I’ll just have to build a bigger boat next time pirate_satisfied.gif

This is a nice smoth design, but I must admit the towering aftcastle looks out of proportion and out of place on something this size. It's well built and detailed, but it seems to overwhelm the rest of the design and makes it look a bit top-heavy. The rigging utilizes those sails well but somehow seems incomplete... The anchor and hull detailing are neat and I like that collection of minifigs. And the presentation is nice as always. Keep it up.

Well, basically, I agree with everything Captain Dee said here. :pir-blush:

Thanks for the comments!

The castle is a bit big indeed, maybe that would be less obvious if I’d raised the hull of the middle section bit.

Or maybe I’ll just have to build a bigger boat next time :pir-sweet:

I think it is mainly big, because it is essential a house put on top of a hull. :pir-grin: But really, that kind of construction only came about after the introduction of engines and the abolition of sails. Until then (and in many cases later as well) cabins were an integral part of the whole hull-structure.

The current construction here makes it impossible for you to bring the sails down closer to the deck, makes your vessel top-heavy, and would most definately make her hard to stear, as there would always be a big windpressure on the cabin. So even *if* you try building a bigger vessel, I'd suggest a different approach, where you integrate the cabin more :pir-wink: Further, right now there seems to be no way to reach the quarterdeck! :pir-blush:

I think you put the sails to pretty good use, but would definitely suggest you try out custom sails next time. Take a look at a few pictures of different shiptypes (this subject on wikipedia is very useful) and start from there.

All in all, this is still a very nice build - you have some very nice detailing. I just think you need to get a bit better understanding of how vessels work and sail, and you will be improving to even higher levels! :pir-sweet:

Thought I had already commented on this.... Interesting ship! I think it would look much better with a different sail type but it doesn't look bad as it is.