Kai NRG

Cotton in Weelond

Not too terribly long ago, this conversation took place around Guy K. Wynd's breakfast table.

"Well, Uncle, now that we've got that mayor stuff settled - I was thinking we might wanna invest in a cotton plantation? You know, we got the monopoly and all."

"Yep. Actually I got a plantation."

"Wait... you bought a plantation?! When?!"

"When I was down there hanging people, of course!"

"Were you going to tell me?!"

"I just did."

"Yeah! - Well, what size is it, more or less?"

"It's a large."

"Whew! Just like that! Bam! You bought a large plantation! And didn't even say boo!"

"Mmm-hmm. Your bacon is good."

"Fresh from Bardo."

"If it's from Bardo, it ain't fresh."

"Whatever. You doing anything today?"

"Yep."

"I meant, what are you doing today?"

"I'm going to Weelond."

"What?!?!"

"Yeah. The plantation has a nice house nearby. My wife and I are gonna move in."

"You're kidding me!"

"Nope."

"Wait... you're just going to leave me high and dry here?!"

"Unless you wanna come, too."

"When are you leaving?"

"This afternoon."

"This afternoon?!?! Were you going to tell me?"

"Guy, I just did."

"Whatever."

Shortly thereafter, Guy's Uncle arrived at his new plantation in Weelond. Home, sweet home!

24595936913_81083e0b5c.jpg

(For some reason the road looks really big in this picture. Probably because of the really small carriage; I had been planning on building a bigger one, but only had two black wheels available!)

24855118549_f79bc67308.jpg

As per custom, the neighbors popped on over to give the new family a warm welcome.

25104547112_a1d758ddc4.jpg

25104512872_f541c9ee14.jpg

25104490242_431730c558.jpg

24595946023_df847388c8.jpg

Horses are important assets in the new world, especially for Eslandians. So they need to be well taken care of!

24855102279_375d66ab5d.jpg

Guy's Uncle has a full half dozen hands working on his plantation... that is, twelve hands, six people.

25104503522_4534f90efa.jpg

Looks like one of 'em isn't doing too much work right about now, though!

24596016583_ab7e289293.jpg

Picking season has just barely begun in Weelond. A few of the workers are getting a head start, but picking doesn't officially commence until tomorrow.

24855075649_74892d15a2.jpg

At 66x50, this is one of my largest builds to date - but it was also a lot of fun to build. I tried out some new stuff with the red roof, the shutters, and the cotton, and threw in some old techniques with the pillars and that sort of thing.

This is my fourth free-build in February.

Constructive criticism is always welcome!

That first picture is awesome!

Great build too, can’t blame them for moving there pir_laugh2.gif

Lots of lovely scenes, the fountain looks brilliant :thumbup:

Very nice! Stables, a fountain; Guy's uncle goes all out. We'll have to use pictures of his plantation in the travel posters.

Seriously, I love the fountain!

Very good job with the build, plus all the different types of photos. The house is neat - small and cozy perhaps, but still a fine design. The fountain is lovely and the stables look good.

The edge of the field looks nice but it seems overwhelmed by the road. There's nothing wrong with the road - it looks smooth and well-built, but it really dominates that particular size build. Actually it's probably about right, and everything else is closer to the standard Lego scale.

The blue background makes some of the pics seem a little dreary, especially the ones with lots of visible grey. The through-the-window shot of the stables seems much more airy and inviting in comparison. But it's a fine build nonetheless and the close-up first pic is a neat idea.

Good work and nice collection of minifigs. :classic:

Edit: I approve. :thumbup:

Edited by Captain Dee

Cool build! I really like the plantation, and the house is quite nice top. I also like the conversation a lot

Great build as always !

It's nice to see that you're still developing new techniques in your builds !

I really like the fountain !

Everything has just this old colonial feel.

Great job !

All great, love the size of that build! I just find the road a bit too smooth (and monotonous in color) in regard to the time/location.

A very grand looking plantation! The statue is particularly nice. I approve! :thumbup:

Very nice build Kai, the fountain, statue, and carriage are superb, and the cotton field and house - especially the bottom story - are excellent as well! pirate_wubnew.gif Great job with the minifigs too, and the photography is very good! :thumbup:pirate_wink.gif

(For some reason the road looks really big in this picture. Probably because of the really small carriage; I had been planning on building a bigger one, but only had two black wheels available!)

I think the problem is the size / proportions / dimensions of the house. It's a two floor house, looking like a real colonial mansion where 20 people should be able to live in (landlord, his family, servants), however comparing it to the minifigs the outer dimensions of the house are like 5 x 1,8 meters, so the the innser size is probably (assuming 20cm of walls) 4,60 x 1,40, which provides room for two beds per floor? WAY too small. Everything else has realistic size dimensions, the house does not.

It works perfectly fine on the first pic with the forced perspective.

And please don't get me wrong: I love the design/architecture of the house, it's just too small. Also the cotton fields look really nice, the barn is excellent, the cart and especially the minifig posing is outstanding and photography is top notch as usual.

If I could approve, I would. ;-)

I approve :thumbup: . Great build with a cool story. I really like the colours in the house, the green shutters complement it perfectly.

That is a very pretty plantation, Kai.

I will not repeat everything others have said, but the house is great, as is the stable, courtyard and fields.

I have only two points of critique:

1) There seems to be a blue tint to your pictures. In fact, when I first saw them on the phone, I thought the road was build in some sort of light blue. You should be able to edit this out.

2) The road is far too wide. If I were you, I would cut down the road to 6 or maybe 8 studs in width. This size of road isn't even realistic for the mainstreets of most cities this age and place! And it really dwarves both the fields, buildings, and courtyard, which is a shame.

All in all, though, I very much approve! Great work! :pir-blush:

Thanks everyone for the comments!

Very nice! Stables, a fountain; Guy's uncle goes all out. We'll have to use pictures of his plantation in the travel posters.

Seriously, I love the fountain!

Thank you! I was really happy with how the fountain turned out as well! pirate_laugh2.gif

Very good job with the build, plus all the different types of photos. The house is neat - small and cozy perhaps, but still a fine design. The fountain is lovely and the stables look good.

The edge of the field looks nice but it seems overwhelmed by the road. There's nothing wrong with the road - it looks smooth and well-built, but it really dominates that particular size build. Actually it's probably about right, and everything else is closer to the standard Lego scale.

The blue background makes some of the pics seem a little dreary, especially the ones with lots of visible grey. The through-the-window shot of the stables seems much more airy and inviting in comparison. But it's a fine build nonetheless and the close-up first pic is a neat idea.

Good work and nice collection of minifigs. :classic:

Edit: I approve. :thumbup:

I had a bit of a fence on the other side of the road but had to use it down near the stables. I think if I could have left it there it would really have helped make the road a little less large looking.

You may be right about the light blue background, though I sure didn't think about that until you mentioned it. pirate_laugh_new.gif

Thank you!

Would like to see more of the stable's interior. Looks like some fine hidden details in there.

Overall a very nice diorama for a plantation owner.

Interiors are often rather difficult to get good pictures of, which is a shame as I generally do spend a good deal of time on them! (When I include interiors, which isn't all the time.)

Thank you!

I think the problem is the size / proportions / dimensions of the house. It's a two floor house, looking like a real colonial mansion where 20 people should be able to live in (landlord, his family, servants), however comparing it to the minifigs the outer dimensions of the house are like 5 x 1,8 meters, so the the innser size is probably (assuming 20cm of walls) 4,60 x 1,40, which provides room for two beds per floor? WAY too small. Everything else has realistic size dimensions, the house does not.

It works perfectly fine on the first pic with the forced perspective.

And please don't get me wrong: I love the design/architecture of the house, it's just too small. Also the cotton fields look really nice, the barn is excellent, the cart and especially the minifig posing is outstanding and photography is top notch as usual.

If I could approve, I would. ;-)

Oh yes. The problem is that building a to scale house in LEGO is just outrageous; I practically ran out of white bricks as it was! However, this is a bit small even by typical LEGO standards, as I'll be the first to admit!

Thank you!

That is a very pretty plantation, Kai.

I will not repeat everything others have said, but the house is great, as is the stable, courtyard and fields.

I have only two points of critique:

1) There seems to be a blue tint to your pictures. In fact, when I first saw them on the phone, I thought the road was build in some sort of light blue. You should be able to edit this out.

2) The road is far too wide. If I were you, I would cut down the road to 6 or maybe 8 studs in width. This size of road isn't even realistic for the mainstreets of most cities this age and place! And it really dwarves both the fields, buildings, and courtyard, which is a shame.

All in all, though, I very much approve! Great work! :pir-blush:

Thanks Bregir! That's a good point about the blue, one I will keep in mind next time I use that color background. Well, actually, if you think about the size of a semi for a LEGO minifigure, the road is arguably too small. However, this was way before semis! It's still only a little too big for two carriages to pass each other; but I agree, it dwarfs the rest of the build. I made it that size more because that was the width of the white plates I used underneath than for any other reason. pirate_look.gifpirate_laugh2.gif

Thought some of you might be interested in seeing close-ups of the carriage:

25660780340_e7dcd6869a.jpg

25328650324_2ed940bddd.jpg

Nice detail shots of the buggy. Thanks!

I hadn't noticed the mudguards on the buggy. Interesting design. What piece is that?

Nice detail shots of the buggy. Thanks!

I hadn't noticed the mudguards on the buggy. Interesting design. What piece is that?

Thank you! That is a windshield - 62360.