SirBlake

[MOD] 8 Stud Wide SC Mustang and Corvette

Man, this Speed Champions line is great. That said, I have been vocal about my distaste for the narrow proportions and centered driver. You can go here to check out a thread that shows my widened SC LaFerrari and Porche 918 from last year:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=106436#entry2154620

I was psyched to pick up a few new sets last night and stayed up until the wee hours of the morning widening a couple of them.

Mustang:

image_zpsievrvsso.jpeg

image_zpsi8j5wsjg.jpeg

Corvette:

image_zps7ftoe2wb.jpeg

image_zpsiugo7sn9.jpeg

As a refresher, here they are in stock form:

image_zpsohqqmjij.jpeg

image_zpsxgokmiun.jpeg

Well, this is quite an improvement! I also wonder what the hell is wrong with TLG and their centered drivers, poor proportions notwithstanding. Your cars are the way they should have been. :thumbup:

Well, this is quite an improvement! I also wonder what the hell is wrong with TLG and their centered drivers, poor proportions notwithstanding. Your cars are the way they should have been. :thumbup:

Thank you sir! I guess Lego long ago decided that City/Town scale cars would be that narrow. I don't get it, but it's so fun to mod them, I'm not complaining. :classic:

Thank you sir! I guess Lego long ago decided that City/Town scale cars would be that narrow. I don't get it, but it's so fun to mod them, I'm not complaining. :classic:

They didnt decide for SC, they measured them as close as they could be to the original and then tried getting the fig inside -> Their scale for car ranges usually between 1/36 to 1/42 -> If we take 1/42 for example , then the adult minifig would be 175 cm high in real life (since fig is 4,16cm). According to wikipedia, thats the average human height and considerably the best scale in terms of height -> It then means that a 6 stud wide car is 2,10 cm wide, which is around the witdh of european supercars.

Thats why they chose 6 wide. It truly looks weird though, because the wheel sizes are way too big for that scaling matter - they did that on purpose, so the fig can fit in sitting upright, without the whole car looking ridicously high and correct sized wheels too small :wink:

They center the figs, because 2 figs next to each other are too complicated for a stable, playfriendly model.

Apart from that, i really like what you did here! For the diameter of these wheels, 8 wide is the perfect fit and they look amazingly "aggresive" and low now - just like the real thing :sweet: Definately improved in a good way using these mudguards! :classic:

Keep up your nice work!

These look really great indeed, proportions are much better. :thumbup: At this size it might be difficult to combine them with other Town scale vehicles, though. But for presentation purposes this is a much better solution, I guess.

In fact I don't understand why they are using those large wheels on the Speed Champions cars. By using Town car wheels the cars would be considerably lower yet could fit a fig anyway. Plus 6w would be a matching width then.

Some nice thoughts on scale, thanks for that!

I think part of it is that our beloved minifig is proportionally wider than the average human for his height, so a car needs to be somewhat wider to accommodate them. I don't have any other town scale cars, so it works for my collection. They actually look good next to the medium sized creator cars like these:

LG6913lg.jpg

This thread now with 100% more Camaro!

I haven't finished modding the '69 yet, but here's the newer one. This one I think benefitted most from the mods. I think the stock version is pretty terrible, but man, it sure turned out nice now that it's wider and some of the details have been tweaked.

I used some of the extra sticker sheet that had black printed on it and widened the grill sticker. That helped a lot, I think.

image_zpstm5n01ud.jpeg

image_zpskuyhcfgg.jpeg

Here's the stocker for comparison (photo credit: Brothers Brick)

25027901991_8ea5743c61_z.jpg?resize=625%2C352

Edited by SirBlake

Wow, the red Camaro looks a lot better at 8-wide. Of course, as Erol notes the other option is to stay 6-wide and go lower and shorter to match City-scale.

Clever work extending the grill sticker, though I still prefer to see things brick built wherever possible.

Will you be doing the Porsche and Audi LMP cars from this wave too?

These look fantastic! I'd love to see some step-by-step progress shots of turning a stock car into an 8-wide

Awesome modifications to 8 wide and looks even more realistic.

Brick On 'SirBlake' !

Thank you sir! Brick on I shall. :classic:

Wow, the red Camaro looks a lot better at 8-wide. Of course, as Erol notes the other option is to stay 6-wide and go lower and shorter to match City-scale.

Clever work extending the grill sticker, though I still prefer to see things brick built wherever possible.

Will you be doing the Porsche and Audi LMP cars from this wave too?

I prefer brick built too, but I didn't see a way to do this one without having a Chevy Bowtie in the grill.

I don't know that I'll do the race cars, as my passion is really for the street cars, but these are so fun to do, I just might.

These look fantastic! I'd love to see some step-by-step progress shots of turning a stock car into an 8-wide

Dang, that's a great idea. I wish I had documented that. Essentially what I've been doing is starting with 6 wide or 8 wide plate (whichever works for that model) and attaching wheel arches and building front and rear bumpers and then connecting everything in the middle.

Y'all stay tuned. I've got a 69 Camaro to take pictures of. :grin:

Looks like this thread needs a new name with the Camaros added.

Here's the '69 Camaro in 8-stud form. I liked the idea of larger back wheels/tires, but what came on there was just a bit too far for me so I went with these. I may still add a black stripe in the middle of the white, but it looked pretty good as a single wide stripe so I'll go with that for now. The one thing that I'm going to change for sure is that I'm going to widen the grill sticker. I scanned them all in before applying, so it shouldn't be too tough. I have some water slide decal paper. Hopefully that works. But I didn't want that to delay me getting these photos up. Apologies in advance for the dust. It shows up bad on the black and I was in a bit of a rush...

Edit: it's kind of hard to tell in the photos, but the back window is using two dark trans window panels that are just nestled in there. I didn't want to go opaque black like the red one since it's a black car.

image_zps66pkvy73.jpeg

image_zpsijizaatm.jpeg

Here's the stocker for comparison. Thanks again Brothers Brick for having the best photos I could find:

24490523324_9c74cfee4b_z.jpg?resize=625%2C352

Edited by SirBlake

loving the modifications youve made to the cars especially the corvette any chance you could do a picture of the parts you used to mod it as im picking the corvette up next week and want to modify it the same way

Thanks!

I don't have pics, but I can say that the Vette was easier than most to widen. I believe it was simply some additional 1x4 slopes and some tiles.

Good luck on yours and post pics when you're done.

IMO, i think that only the corvette looks good in 8-wide, but that's just me.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, but I think the Camaro in particular benefits from the widening. The stock 6w is kind of ridiculous looking in my opinion.

Great mods! My favorite is the way you made the Mustang look.

I still feel that the Camero is impossible to recreate on a 4, 6, or even 8-stud scale. You did an amazing job on these cars though!