Captain Braunsfeld

[MOC] [Steampunk] Sir Archibald's Flying Lucilla

Ladies & Gentlemen,

tonight, I proudly present:

Sir Archibald's Flying Lucilla - a modern airship.

25220790215_99fc9b5a84_c.jpg

Powered by two steam motors the airship is traveling at incredible speed!

25127579311_da3288f738_c.jpg

Sir Archibald is accompanied by a brave crew:

24925171870_029cdba3e8_c.jpg

... and the "Flying Lucilla" is well-armed:

25102514492_9d59e29f48_c.jpg

25102512132_7fa01206c6_c.jpg

This airship is based on the Ninjago 70603 Zeppelin (which unfortunately does not come with 8 but only with 7 balloon pieces...)

More and larger pics on flickr.

C&C welcome!

Captain Braunsfeld goes Steampunk:

1. New try at Steampunk Figbarf

2. [MOC] [steampunk] Sir Archibald's Mechanical Elephant

3. [MOC] [steampunk] Dr. Teslisons Airship

4. [MOC] [steampunk] Sir Archibald's Flying Lucilla

5. [MOC] [steampunk] Lady Lacelove's Armored Airship

Nicely done! I do like steampunk and this fits in quite nicely with the genre.

The overall construction seems too heavy for a baloon this size, but steampunk is not about realism anyway so I don't mind.

I was also a bit disappointed that the Ninjago set comes only with 7 baloon pieces. Did you get an extra one or does your baloon have a hole in it? :classic:

Edited by Dreamweb

You've done it again! :sweet:

I like the batwing on the back, and you've made some great choices on the supporting crew.

My only critique would be that the pirate net pieces. The piece itself is fine (I've used them this way myself!), buy they just sort of...end, halfway up, and don't really look attached.

Edited by rodiziorobs

I don't even like steampunk, but I love your builds. I can't even pick anything in particular, the whole airship is so fun.

Thanks - you don't like steampunk? I fear I'll be producing some more ... :grin:

Nicely done! I do like steampunk and this fits in quite nicely with the genre.

The overall construction seems too heavy for a baloon this size, but steampunk is not about realism anyway so I don't mind.

I was also a bit disappointed that the Ninjago set comes only with 7 baloon pieces. Did you get an extra one or does your baloon have a hole in it? :classic:

From physics point of view you're absolutely right: This thing would never fly - but steampunk is more about imagination and "what if" :wink:

I did not get an extra balloon piece :cry_sad: I had to use a magenta one to fill the gap :look:

You can see it on the last picture. I used some photoshop magic to disguise the fact, but once you know that a wrong piece is in there, you will always find it :laugh:

(It is like the cut where the two versions of Strawberry Fields Forever have been glued together... I will always hear it.)

You've done it again! :sweet:

I like the batwing on the back, and you've made some great choices on the supporting crew.

My only critique would be that the pirate net pieces. The piece itself is fine (I've used them this way myself!), buy they just sort of...end, halfway up, and don't really look attached.

:sweet:

How would the monkey be able to climb this thing when I leave out the "net pieces"? :laugh:

I feel that steampunk builds must have some odd pieces that look old-fashioned. (e.g. as a contrast to the very modern gun!)

(and the bat wing is also one of the "odd" pieces)

Now that you've explained it, yeah, I see the different balloon piece. :laugh: Funny, until recently I didn't even know they existed in other colours. Guess I must check out stuff other than Pirates more often. :classic: Which set is the magenta one from?

Yeah, like you said, steampunk is about pretending that the impossible is possible anyway, so I have no problems with the odd proportions. :laugh:

Edited by Dreamweb

Now that you've explained it, yeah, I see the different balloon piece. :laugh: Funny, until recently I didn't even know they existed in other colours. Guess I must check out stuff other than Pirates more often. :classic: Which set is the magenta one from?

Yeah, like you said, steampunk is about pretending that the impossible is possible anyway, so I have no problems with the odd proportions. :laugh:

When those balloon pieces came out they were part of a friends set and came in white and magenta (Noah's Balloon or something).

:sweet:

I really like your last ship, but this one seems a little too hodge-podge. I can't really put my finger on it either, may it's the amount of grays. However, I love the concept and it's great to see more steampunk!

I really like your last ship, but this one seems a little too hodge-podge. I can't really put my finger on it either, may it's the amount of grays. However, I love the concept and it's great to see more steampunk!

Thanks, maybe a bit more of gold (copper?) would have been good. That could boost the engines.

When those balloon pieces came out they were part of a friends set and came in white and magenta

Right, the Friends set, I remember it now. :classic:

Anyway, keep up the good work, hope to see more Steampunk from you!

EDIT: Oh, my 1701st post... In the sci-fi forum no less. To boldly go where no one has gone before... :classic:

Edited by Dreamweb

Anyway, keep up the good work, hope to see more Steampunk from you!

EDIT: Oh, my 1701st post... In the sci-fi forum no less. To boldly go where no one has gone before... :classic:

More Steampunk is coming up soon!

Congratulations to 1701 posts! :sweet:

I hope LEGO Steam Punk takes off or at lest gets released

Sorry to say, but I doubt that they will ever do it.

But with the new line of ninjago set they at least come close.

This one somehow reminds me of large birds in movies carrying big weights - lets think who did such things lately :classic:

Must be the beaky white front. Interesting thing that. And I like the rotor tons. How long can it stay airborne? Can we have some statistics here? :cry_happy:

This one somehow reminds me of large birds in movies carrying big weights - lets think who did such things lately :classic:

Must be the beaky white front. Interesting thing that. And I like the rotor tons. How long can it stay airborne? Can we have some statistics here? :cry_happy:

Statistics? :cry_sad:

Well, err, it can fly for about 36 consecutive hours.

And it can carry about a ton of additional load.

Sufficient?

:grin: