just2good

Most hated LEGO sets?

Wow, surprising to hear from an insider that Fiber Optics was such a bad thing economically. I really liked it back in the day. Who would have thought it nearly bankrupted TLG.

Luckily my Dark Ages began right after Fiber Optics when they started all this <insert that tiresome argument> stuff and just recently ended. Therefore I never had to "suffer" trough such ridicilous things that were made in the meantime.

Edit: Funny to see junior ized beeing filtered by the forum :laugh:

Edited by Tokru

7961 Sith Infiltrator is horrendously awfully dreadful. It's uglier than any set I've ever had as an adult or a child. But it is a great source of parts that I have re-used over and over again...

Just curious, why would you want to dedicate so much time to negativity?

Not sure if this was directed at me, but the concept of the video is to touch on the most controversial LEGO sets and themes. LEGO controversy always interested me, as the toy is beloved by many. A lot of time the controversy is just an overreaction, but it's interesting to hear about these incidents.

I know what Hink meant though. We've had a few threads that have gone south as they've just been slanging matches and the moaning does tend to drag on regarding certain sets.

Something being 'controversial' though is different and I hope your video highlights that. There are different reasons for something to be controversial... such as a violent scene a set may be based on and it's suitability for release based on Lego's values.

It's funny that we have maniacal serial killers such as the Joker that kids can play with and that's not considered 'controversial' but when it comes down to it we can all have a good moan at how rubbish the Golfcart of Doom was.

Jabba's Palace was controversial because of its resemblance to the Mosque in Istanbul.

And logically, the Eiffel Tower set was controversial because of it's resemblance to a large metal thing in France.

Ultimate Lightsaber Duel was pretty bad. It should've either been a bigger set with more stuff or just done differently. I liked the lightsaber stick fighting idea a lot the set just wasn't very appealing what so ever.

Jabba's Palace was controversial because of its resemblance to the Mosque in Istanbul.

Controversial where? I have never heard of this before!

Ultimate Lightsaber Duel was pretty bad. It should've either been a bigger set with more stuff or just done differently. I liked the lightsaber stick fighting idea a lot the set just wasn't very appealing what so ever.

Controversial where? I have never heard of this before!

Yeah, that's why it was pulled early from shelves. There was controversy over its pure resemblance, though the real-life mosque had four towers rather than the one guard tower.

Yeah, that's why it was pulled early from shelves. There was controversy over its pure resemblance, though the real-life mosque had four towers rather than the one guard tower.

Basically,the set had a dome and a tower. The Haghia Sophia has 4 minerets and a large dome. The building was originally a church and is now a museum. The nearby Blue Mosque has a dome similar to the Haghia Sophia and has 6 minerets. Yeah, it is quite a stretch to say that the set "copied" a mosque, although it could be possible that George Lucas received some inspiration from the buildings when ROTJ was made. Also, about that set, it was not generally that hated among AFOLs and other communities. Really most of the criticism it received by Lego fans was regarding the price.

http://brickset.com/sets/theme-Clikits in AFOL hindsight, offers little. I've seen conversations among Flickr's AFOL pros that only a few pieces can be connected via most common System connections, but it was a jewelry theme, not a building one...

Wait, those things were from Lego? I had some as a kid...

As for sets, the only one I can think of that hasn't already been said is 4192 Fountain of Youth. People seem kind of divided on the new 60s Batcave as well.

it was pulled early from shelves

No it wasn't, it had the usual shelf-life of modern Lego sets

It wasn't pulled from shelves. There was some internet buzz about the similarities, but it died out and no store pulled the set. I think people quickly realized there was no merit to the claim.

If we're just talking "controversial," regardless of whether the controversy was warranted (spoiler alert: it wasn't), then you could discuss the Sandcrawler, Tumbler, Helicarrier, and Firehouse Headquarters, all of which provoked complaints that TLG "stole" them from Ideas submissions that did not pass review. Of course, the whole reason they didn't pass was because the sets were already in the pipeline, but some people just prefer a conspiracy theory.

Yeah, this is about the most disliked sets, not controversial sets

(just2good I have a suggestion: maybe your next video could be about the weirdest LEGO pieces? I have a couple on my mind :grin:)

Edited by Robert8

Nexo Knights.

They are selling very well. I cannot see this series topping a worst set / series league.

They are selling very well. I cannot see this series topping a worst set / series league.

Please point me to your sales figures.

My understanding was that he was looking for things that are controversial, and this would fit with that as there was a lot of controversy around the announcement due to the original rumor of a new Castle theme that sounded more like a return to the Fantasy Era.

The only controversy surrounding Nexo Knights stems from the whining of castle fans here on Eurobricks. If we were to follow the Nexo Knights=Controversy method of logic, then just about everything ever would count as controversial, since just about everything ever has shattered a certain group of people's expectations for it. Besides, it was already clarified that this thread was not about controversy.

Most disliked Lego sets? Assault on Hoth comes to mind, but I'm not sure if that qualifies yet. Ultimate Lightsaber Duel, The Ghost, Rogue Shadow, Riverside Raid, Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle, any Jurassic World set, Minecraft (? by non-Minecraft fans?).

Besides, it was already clarified that this thread was not about controversy.

I'm not talking about the sets that you personally dislike the most, but rather the sets that the LEGO community as a whole dislikes the most. Ones that have garnered controversy across multiple LEGO fan sites. Any other examples?

the concept of the video is to touch on the most controversial LEGO sets and themes. LEGO controversy always interested me, as the toy is beloved by many. A lot of time the controversy is just an overreaction, but it's interesting to hear about these incidents.

Maybe Nexo Knights has not been as controversial as others, but I remember a lot of disappointment with the announcement from many in the community, at least here, so I figured it would fit.

I still say Knights Kingdom 2 fits well. I'll agree about Kylo Ren's shuttle, but I'm not sure what was so bad about the Jurassic World sets.

You mean the sets that greatly contributed to keeping Lego going when most other sets they made were junk?

No, that's Bionicle

Ok, so, a lot of more modern things here. I'll add some from back in the early days of the LEGO community (RTL):

- People didn't like Time Cruisers at all. They hated Timmy with a passion. Seriously, HATED. They thought the theme was a ludicrous mashup of leftover parts, and really disliked the googly-eyed Timmy and Professor Cyber.

- I don't recall a lot of discussion on Paradisa, but people generally didn't like the pink-tones of the theme (or Belville for that matter)

- Fright Knights were viewed as pretty silly, and got a lot of negative reviews. The Bat Lord got a lot of flak for his "Bat-on-a-Stick" wand.

- Both UFO and later Insectoids were seen as over-the-top junk. They probably weren't panned quite as badly as other things, but everyone more-or-less simply agreed that they didn't like the subthemes.

- Juniorization starting in 1997 with "Town Jr" was also LOATHED. Train/Town collectors couldn't stand the "one-piece" cars and such.

- Scala was widely disliked, although I don't recall it generating a ton of discussion.

- Oddly enough, the 1998 Ninja line was widely viewed as being juniorized, although I never thought so personally. Rather mixed reaction by many-- and lots of people didn't like that Ninja seemed to be replacing European-style castle themed sets.

- Remember Znap? Yeah, there's a reason. People didn't like it (even though it was partially compatible with System bricks), but ended up getting some great deals on the LEGO motors which were included in some of the heavily discounted sets.

- Rock Raiders was initially regarded as a bizarre color theme, and disliked (though liked by some). I would put it on par with Nexo Knights initially. ... But when the sets started coming out, the high juniorization factor also was reviled by many, and it was more generally disliked once people built the sets.

- Alpha Team got a bit of negative reaction, but mostly simply disliked without much comment, as I recall.

DaveE

Edited by davee123