Sign in to follow this  
Murdoch17

Western railroad depot with steam train - 7594, 7597, 10015 MODs

Picture Pefect  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which picture looks best from the two at the bottom of the first post?

• the original17876-style black and white one
    • the retouched 1970's colorized one

This old railroad station was inspired by set 7594 (Woody's Roundup!) which I have named Legoredo Junction passenger depot, (after the famous Fort Legoredo, set 6769 and the re-release set 6762) while the train is inspired by sets 7597 (Western Train Chase) and set 10015 (Passenger Wagon) I have the station and locomotive + passenger cars built. The bridge will not be built.

1870's modular passenger depot

25048642424_0a2378db47_z.jpg

Here is the fictional background story for the station:

This railroad station was built in 1874 after the original station structure (built 1867) burned to the ground in late 1873. It was confusingly named Fort Legoredo at that time by the railroad in an attempt to persuade potential settlers that this land was protected by the army, when in fact the Federal government was planning on closing down the actual Fort Legoredo. (this plan was eventually gone through with, as the Fort ceased operations when it burned to the ground in 1885 and was not rebuilt)

The station has since stood for 140+ years with only slight modifications, such as adding computer control systems to the upper floor in 1980 to control the switches and monitor train traffic to the still-active silver mines. The station also serves as the oldest building in the city and is featured heavily in tourism advertisements for the city and it's historical reproduction of the original Fort Legoredo. (the US Army base, that is)

25679178445_0590552abb_z.jpg

The station is modular, as the roof and second floor come off and the two side platforms come apart by means of Technic pins.

25052433703_28bd98ce3d_z.jpg

This lower floor features two waiting rooms with a ticket office in-between them. This office features stairs to the upper floor.

25378326490_14457c5bcf_z.jpg

The upper floor features a vintage safe that is used to hold silver dust / nuggets that is still payable for a train ticket. The metal is weighed on the scale (seen next to the safe) to ensure it is the correct type. (Read: not fake). The newspaper contains the daily precious metals prices, so that is is fairly measured and properly payed for. Eventually a special train comes though the station and the dust / nuggets are exchanged for proper paper currency, with the expensive metal being shipped back east to Denver to be made into coins and bars.

The anachronistic modern computer system was added in 1980 to control the switches and monitor train traffic to the still-active silver mines.

1870's train bridge with collapsing function

24943939380_081b81cf8e_z.jpg

This bridge was inspired by Bad Cop's Pursuit (set 70802) and the short section of railroad bridge included with that set. When I first saw it, I thought it would make a great play feature for a train bridge that is actually usable by trains. Anyway, here is the result of all that working and reworking: 12 sections of PF / RC train track (It won't work with 9V, sorry!) with 1 section of old 4.5V straight track plus 2 studs of space to separate the moving from non-moving items and allow the hinge to do it's job.

24943939400_1a8f6a009c_z.jpg

The design of the bridge is modular so that you can easily disassemble the bridge for transport. It disassembles into 2 lower ramp sections consisting of 4 tracks each, 2 upper ramp sections, and 1 "failure point" module consisting of a hinged (on one end) track piece.

Here you can see the bridge when it's in the up position.

25121285332_265a223cf3_z.jpg

This is how it works:

Their is a hidden Technic rod under the track that should allow trains to pass by safely overhead. Pull the red Technic connector on the right side an your bridge collapses.

Here is the bridge with the pins removed and track "broken".

1870's luggage cart

27006621916_61b9103810_z.jpg

Just a small US railroad luggage cart I whipped together in 5 minutes.... nothing special. I will be getting these with some other small projects, probably at the same time as my streetcars.

LDD files and etc.

Here is the LDD file for the station (version 4) by itself, if anyone wants it: http://www.moc-pages...1456867526m.lxf

Here's the LDD file for the broken bridge: http://www.moc-pages...1456341678m.lxf

EDIT: Here's my progress on the loco & it's train cars as of 2/22/16:

24904879980_9856876ddf_z.jpg

Both sections are currently a Work In Progress: the coaches an 99% done, but the steamer needs parts for it's pistons to work right and few other minor details.

EDIT 2/23/16: Since the last time I uploaded this, I added a roof to the waiting areas and removed some non-existent parts. The LDD file and pictures have been updated accordingly.

EDIT 2/24/16: added breakable bridge pictures and it's LDD file.

EDIT 2/25/16: Added updated station. It is now modular, and has two removable levels: roof and second floor.

EDIT 2/27/16: Which one of these two pictures (below) do you think looks better, as I'm torn between the two. I'll add a poll so you can chose.

EDIT 3/1/16: Since the l have ordered the model, and as such some substitutions have been made (such as the windows), and the upper floor has been furnished.

EDIT 5/15/16: added luggage cart to the page.

Just messing around with options in Google images:

25305777855_e9fd187ab1_z.jpg

This photo was originally taken on the United States 100th Birthday, also known as July 4th, 1876 and shows the 4-4-0 (American) type "No. 1" pulling a passenger train into Legoredo Junction.

This version of the photo is the original version, taken in 1876. A retouched and colorized version was released as a souvenir postcard in preparation for the 200th anniversary of the founding of the USA, and the 100th birthday of the engine.

25212667671_45d4ecdeff_z.jpg

This version of the photo had been retouched sometime in the early 1970's to add some color into the originally Black and White photograph in preparation for the 200th anniversary of the founding of United States of America and the 100th birthday of the engine.

If you vote, please state your choice!

24721889463_9f217bfe8e_z.jpg

Also, please visit this thread for info about the steam train I made to go with the station: http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=122409

Comments, questions, and complaints are always welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17

As I'm currently working on an American 4-4-0 myself this great inspiration, thanks for sharing!

As I'm currently working on an American 4-4-0 myself this great inspiration, thanks for sharing!

Thanks!

By the way, could you move this to the Train forum? or do you think it works better here?

EDIT: Thank you mods!

Here's my progress on the loco & it's train cars as of 2/22/16:

24904879980_9856876ddf_z.jpg

Both sections are currently a Work In Progress: the coaches an 99% done, but the steamer needs parts for it's pistons to work right and few other minor details.

Edited by Murdoch17

EDIT 2/23/16: Since the last time I uploaded this, I added a roof to the waiting areas and removed some non-existent parts. The LDD file and pictures have been updated accordingly.

24853530709_440a6fe610_z.jpg

Here we see the town of Legoredo Junction as of October 1885, with the train originally from Hill Valley, California arriving from the tunnel at the upper left. The train will have to back into the station after going forward through the switch, and then will continue north to it's final destination of Carson City, Nevada. The unused side track that run around the back of Fort Legoredo heads up into the mountains and ends in the old ghost town of Grave Stone.

(I'm tying this model into the stories of Back to the Future part 3 and the works of LEGO builder the Brickster (former EB Train Moderator), as seen here with his Grave Stone MOCs: http://www.moc-pages.com/home.php/5295 I plan on getting the station soon, but the fort and two buildings on the lower right may never be built. The saloon and bank have been already built for a while!)

Edited by Murdoch17

I got the Hill Valley reference ;). There should be native Americans nearby though... and a gorge!

Great looking train and scenery :).

The Native American's are all off being chased by the Calvary (and a certain DeLorean!) but the bridge I have in mind goes like this:

16419651077_1e16e9af2a_z.jpg

This bridge was inspired by Bad Cop's Pursuit (set 70802) and the short section of railroad bridge included with that set. When I first saw it, I thought it would make a great play feature for a train bridge that is actually usable by trains!

Anyway, here is the result of all that working and reworking: 12 sections of PF / RC train track (It won't work with 9V, sorry!) with 1 section of old 4.5V straight track plus 2 studs of space to separate the moving from non-moving items and allow the hinge to do it's job.

16419650987_b6268f9bb6_z.jpg

This is how it works:

Their is a hidden Technic rod under the track that should allow trains to pass by safely overhead. Pull the two red Technic connectors (one for each side of the bridge) and your bridge collapses. Move the rod back in to reset the bridge for the next time.

I am adding the bridge to the first post as we speak, along with its LDD file.

The collapsing bridge is really cool!

Thanks THERIZE! I have since revamped the model with newer parts (the model was quite old!) and have re-uploaded it to the main post, plus the newer LDD file, if you are interested.

Interesting...very interesting! I love your collapsing bridge, that is really cool! I am just about finished bricking out my first MOC after my Dark Ages...a 4-4-0 American as well! When it is all done, I will post photos and videos.

Interesting...very interesting! I love your collapsing bridge, that is really cool! I am just about finished bricking out my first MOC after my Dark Ages...a 4-4-0 American as well! When it is all done, I will post photos and videos.

Thanks, I can't wait to see your pictures!

I also edited the main post and re-uploaded an updated station: It is now modular, and has two removable levels, the roof and second floor.

Edited by Murdoch17

Just messing around with options in Google images:

25305777855_e9fd187ab1_z.jpg

This photo was originally taken on the United States 100th Birthday, also known as July 4th, 1876 and shows the 4-4-0 (American) type "No. 1" pulling a passenger train into Legoredo Junction.

This version of the photo is the original version, taken in 1876. A retouched and colorized version was released as a souvenir postcard in preparation for the 200th anniversary of the founding of the USA, and the 100th birthday of the engine.

25212667671_45d4ecdeff_z.jpg

This version of the photo had been retouched sometime in the early 1970's to add some color into the originally Black and White photograph in preparation for the 200th anniversary of the founding of United States of America and the 100th birthday of the engine.

(Which one do you think looks better, as I'm torn between the two!)

Added new ldd file and updated pictures to represent the revised station. parts have been ordered and real life pictures are probably going to be added next week. Until then, this is the final bump.

25051594799_4f5ffb5dd5_z.jpg

UPDATE: the station was just finished yesterday, and as such pictures have been added to the main post.

25048642424_0a2378db47_z.jpg

UPDATE: added a nifty luggage trolley to the first post.

27006621916_61b9103810_z.jpg

Just a small US railroad luggage cart I whipped together in 5 minutes.... nothing special. i will be getting two of these with some other small projects, probably at the same time as my streetcars.

Really really nice, your train station.

And the collapsing bridge is an awesome detail.

Best regards

René

Thank you, I want to build the bridge in real life, but now that I look at it, it might not work the way i want it too... that part may just stay a digital model.

The train station, is adorable! Great work!

Thank you!

That train station looks really nice in bricks. Good job!

Thanks, it took a while but it was worth it!