Sign in to follow this  
CelesAurivern

[COR-CH2A] Do not doubt the Redoubtable! (Port Raleigh)

Fort001.jpg

I am Lieutenant B.B. Bridgewater, OC of infantry platoon 107.

We were one of nine platoons that were transferred to Port Relaigh to bolster the defences in our newly founded settlement,

assigned to the command of his excellency, the Governor of Port Raleigh, Lord Erie Flynn.

One of our first and foremost urgent tasks was to establish fortifications to defend the settlement, as we have had several casualties in previous weeks, from skirmishes with the natives.

We had to work with what limited resources we had, arriving with almost nothing, next to our equipment and some arms.

But fortunately for us, a friend from a merchant house "the Emporium", had recently started a logging enterprise in the outskirts of the settlement.

They have practically sponsored, in whole, vital material for construction together with their skilled carpenters.

Thanks to that, we were able to erect our first fort in a matter of weeks.

Fort002.jpg

Fort Redoubtable is manned by a half-platoon at any one time, while the other half is at rest at the barracks.

We have lookouts all-round and is able to defend against a land attack from any direction.

The strongest fortified direction is the one facing the sea, where we have mounted two cannons to combat any threat from sea,

as well as reinforced bulwarks on the ground to provide our men additional cover from a landing assault.

Fort003.jpg

Of course, defence is not just about sitting in a fort.

We have 24-hour patrols, in rotating squads of 4 men, walking around the perimeter of the settlement.

There have been a few incursions by aggressive natives of late, so we can never be too vigilant in times like these.

Fort004.jpg

Edited by CelesAurivern

I really like the fort, and altough I'd recomment some texture on the grounsd, it's a good build! :thumbup:

Great build! Just the thing to keep Port Raleigh safe from those pesky natives and pirates. Redoubtable indeed! I too had hoped to build a fort at Port Raleigh for the challenge but will now think of another plan.

You should add your build to the Port Raleigh build list:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=120704&hl=%2Bport+%2Braleigh

Fort is really well build (and i totally envy your redcoats till September) but the protruding battlements above the main entrance makes it easier for the enemy to plant a bomb at the gate or hide underneath them!

A small fort like this probably isn't very good for a siege, but I see your point. We could probably add another layer of palisade to make it flush.

We have 9 platoons, i heard, so the bulk of our forces would be line infantry?

I can envision lots of small forts like this on the frontier of Corrington's new territories, and you've manned it with a good number of soldiers. I like the overall arrangement, but a cannon or two on a big-wheeled land carriage would be nice too. And the overhang above the gate could indeed offer the enemy protection should they ever storm the place. But it's a really nice fort regardless and my favorite of your builds so far. Keep it up. :classic:

I can envision lots of small forts like this on the frontier of Corrington's new territories, and you've manned it with a good number of soldiers. I like the overall arrangement, but a cannon or two on a big-wheeled land carriage would be nice too. And the overhang above the gate could indeed offer the enemy protection should they ever storm the place. But it's a really nice fort regardless and my favorite of your builds so far. Keep it up. :classic:

How come BLUE is the enemy Cpt Dee??? pirate_tong.gif

What?? I wanted to bold it and it came out blue, that's all. And that is a scientific fact!! :pir-laugh:

Stay vigilant proud Oleanders!!! Cpt Dee is scheming!