Legopard

Monstrum Maris

Ahoi!

25191066715_f415c3de0b_c.jpg

Inspired by some old paintings, I have built a sailing ship that is attacked by a sea creature.

Here are more shots of the ship:

25072682142_bd5e593990_c.jpg

24798781769_ed65937cc1_c.jpg

I hope you like it!

Best

Jonas

Edited by Legopard

What a great ship you built ! I really like the color you chose for the ship and the sea monster which put well together. Amazing work with the waves :sweet:.

That wave is superb, but compared to the ship its a drop in the ocean; the ship is so sleek looking. I really like the ship's finish and the details are awesome, the rigging, those ladders, (I want to steal that idea), the bell, its perfect. Argh I keep having to look back to see all the techniques used.

Excellent creation. The wave is just brilliant and the (mythical) sea monster is cool. Of course the ship is the star - that hull technique is wonderful and the overall design and colorscheme are really good. The sharp bow reminds me more of the late age of sail, but it fits this forum anyway. It's a very sleek design and looks really fast. Good work! :classic:

Ha-ha, awesome!

Three major points here, the ship, the wave and the monster:

Love how the monster’s tentacles wrap around the hull. Very articulate and convincing. Technic connectors for suckers is clever too.

The wave is just a whole creation on its own. The clear-trans really conveys “foamy” and “cold”. The whole thing, shape and color, is fantastic (am I mistaken or their gray under the clear?) I can’t imagine pulling off something like that myself.

The ship: I agree, the application of several techniques and varying bricks worked out just excellent. I can get pretty excitable over technique and this has me intrigued. Would you be so kind as to show us some WIP shots or perhaps just an image of her underside? She really does look like a Tea Clipper aside from a lack of masts. The narrow drawn out bow, the low freeboard and flat sheer, suggest a late 19th or early 20th century vessel. Only that raised stern gallery seems, a bit out of place perhaps. I do like the SNOT windows there though.

It’s going to take several more times looking her over to grasp all the little details. Had to squint to figure it out but I like that anchor made with mini-fig hands.

All in all, I love what you have here. You’ve definitely made my personal list of interesting builders. I’d love to see more of this technique and hope you intend to peruse developing if even further.

Thanks for sharing!

P.S. come to think on it, that size and shape hull would make a great schooner.

The pictures taken from different angles help see all the details and that's good. How can your sailors get into the crow's nests which should be on such a nice ship? The shrouds aren't high enough. The position of the ship on the wave is just perfect!!!

That's an excellent vessel, although it feels a bit on the narrow side. Still, looks great, and so does the monster. The Imperial Flagship sails go well with it too. Overall, an outstanding creation!

Fantastic color scheme. The lack of bright colors makes it look very realistic.

The flag with the bull does look a bit out of place though.

Thanks a lot for your kind words, I'm glad you like it.

To be serious, I have no clue of ships. I just looked up some pictures.

So the sailor is no rebuild of an existing ship, but more a ship of my imagination.

Due to that, there are several points you found that doesn't fit perfect.

What pieces did you use to make the bottom level of the hull?

I used 2x4 curved slopes.

Ha-ha, awesome!

Three major points here, the ship, the wave and the monster:

Love how the monster’s tentacles wrap around the hull. Very articulate and convincing. Technic connectors for suckers is clever too.

The wave is just a whole creation on its own. The clear-trans really conveys “foamy” and “cold”. The whole thing, shape and color, is fantastic (am I mistaken or their gray under the clear?) I can’t imagine pulling off something like that myself.

The ship: I agree, the application of several techniques and varying bricks worked out just excellent. I can get pretty excitable over technique and this has me intrigued. Would you be so kind as to show us some WIP shots or perhaps just an image of her underside? She really does look like a Tea Clipper aside from a lack of masts. The narrow drawn out bow, the low freeboard and flat sheer, suggest a late 19th or early 20th century vessel. Only that raised stern gallery seems, a bit out of place perhaps. I do like the SNOT windows there though.

It’s going to take several more times looking her over to grasp all the little details. Had to squint to figure it out but I like that anchor made with mini-fig hands.

All in all, I love what you have here. You’ve definitely made my personal list of interesting builders. I’d love to see more of this technique and hope you intend to peruse developing if even further.

Thanks for sharing!

P.S. come to think on it, that size and shape hull would make a great schooner.

Thanks for you comment.

You are right, I used dark bluish grey to fill the wave. In the upper part I also used white bricks to make the wave a bit brighter.

I didn't took the ship apart, so you have to wait for your WIP pictures, but I will show them here for sure!

Fantastic color scheme. The lack of bright colors makes it look very realistic.

The flag with the bull does look a bit out of place though.

Unfortunately I didn't found a better flag in my collection.

As said in flickr amazing work Jonas.... The creature is perfectly made and and see also is top notch pirate_satisfied.gifpirate_satisfied.gif

Truly a work of art you have here. Like others have said so many details, takes a few times to look over. I love your custom hull, did an awesome job! I also like your cannons and bell. I have to agree with kurigan on the gallery/stern windows look a bit odd. You could always take lattace windows and instead of using the frame use a 1x1 knob brick to hold it in place, might be worth a shot. Also on the front rigging are you gonna add the net going across like the rear one? Anyways a well done project!

Even though the ship might be a bit thin and the masts a bit short, you've created an awesome scene! I really like the sand green tentacles and the colours and detail on the ship are really nice too! thumbup.gif