zweihander

Tips for Digital Modeling & Instructions

When I'm working on something, I like to build with real bricks. But I also like to keep a digital copy of them for future reference. I usually have no problem with digital building in MLCad (except LSynth), but creating instructions is always a problem. The ordering of pieces requires huge amounts of time & care.

What I'm asking is, what is the best way to build a digital copy of a real model, with the aim of making creating instructions easier?

I'm asking about MLCad&LPub, but tips for other tools are also welcome. Also I almost exclusively do technic builds, so concerns might be different for regular bricks vs studless technic builds.

Edited by erelender

I use MLCAD, use submodels extensively, and use LPub to create the instructions. This process is time-intensive, but learnable, although it's advised to start simple so you get to know how the programs work and how you should adapt your digital files to them.

And yes, the ordering of pieces is something I do manually, in MLCAD. Especially with Technic I think this is necessary. I do it in reverse order - I start with the final model, then repeatedly do the following:

• find a few pieces that can be taken off
  • select those pieces
  • put them on the bottom of the part list
  • hide those pieces
  • put a STEP in front of the hidden pieces
  • save your file
  • reload the model in LDView

Repeat until no pieces remain. Then make everything visible again, and review the process in LDView to see if the steps are doable. You might awnt to add ROT_STEPs to make things better visible.

Also, anything that could be a sub-assembly, put that in a sub-model in MLCAD. Consider the sub-model to be just a normal part like all other parts in the main model, and repeat the whole reverse-take-off process for the submodel. Of course a submodel can also have sub-submodels, and so on.

And yes, this takes time. I need multiple evenings for a model of 1500 pieces. So I only do it for models I consider instructions-worthy.

If this is done, I use LPub to position the steps and sub-steps on the page. THis is more straightforward, but LPub is relatively slow so this requires patience, and the newest version of LPub crashes a lot on my PC.

Edited by Erik Leppen

Well, it doesn't matter how many tips you get or how experienced you are, creating instructions (especially Technic instructions) will always just take a lot of time. :tongue:

If I understand your question correctly, you're looking for tips to build a digital copy which would make it easier to eventually create instructions (if ever), right?

Well, I think it's better to just create the model and the instructions later, than create some kind of half instructions.

Altough, something that could be very useful is to make very good use of submodels. Put everything that can be assembled seperately and put onto the main model in submodels. Don't be afraid to use a lot of submodels, nested submodels and even more submodels. Really, submodels are the key to create good instructions :wink:

Regarding tools: I'd recommend LDcad instead of MLCad. I can build waay faster (and better) in LDCad than in MLCad. It's also relatively easy to reorder STEP commands (ROTSTEPS aren't possible yet, probably in a future version).

And try to switch from LPub to LPub3D. It's a continuation of LPub, but from a new author. On my PC it's also waaay faster than the original LPub, and it has some nice little features.

If you have any questions regarding making instructions, feel free to ask or PM me :classic:

What I currently do is as follows:

- Recreate the whole model, with sub-models as components (i.e. for my telehandler, I have chassis, cabin, bodywork, outriggers, outer boom, inner boom, attachment)

- Move everything 1000 units in one direction

- Select pieces starting from the inner parts

- Move them 1000 units back so they are at their original positions

- Check that adding those pieces make sense in real life

- Change the order of those parts

- Add STEP

- Repeat

What I'm looking for is ways to improve any part of this, since my method of moving pieces is a real pain and sometimes fails in case of weirdly rotated pieces. Ideally, completely integrating the reordering into the initial modeling would be best, but I think it's kind of a far reach.

I use MLCAD, use submodels extensively, and use LPub to create the instructions. This process is time-intensive, but learnable, although it's advised to start simple so you get to know how the programs work and how you should adapt your digital files to them.

And yes, the ordering of pieces is something I do manually, in MLCAD. Especially with Technic I think this is necessary. I do it in reverse order - I start with the final model, then repeatedly do the following:

• find a few pieces that can be taken off
  • select those pieces
  • put them on the bottom of the part list
  • hide those pieces
  • put a STEP in front of the hidden pieces
  • save your file
  • reload the model in LDView

Wow, that makes so much sense. I'll definitely try this method for the telehandler.

Well, it doesn't matter how many tips you get or how experienced you are, creating instructions (especially Technic instructions) will always just take a lot of time. :tongue:

If I understand your question correctly, you're looking for tips to build a digital copy which would make it easier to eventually create instructions (if ever), right?

Well, I think it's better to just create the model and the instructions later, than create some kind of half instructions.

Altough, something that could be very useful is to make very good use of submodels. Put everything that can be assembled seperately and put onto the main model in submodels. Don't be afraid to use a lot of submodels, nested submodels and even more submodels. Really, submodels are the key to create good instructions :wink:

Regarding tools: I'd recommend LDcad instead of MLCad. I can build waay faster (and better) in LDCad than in MLCad. It's also relatively easy to reorder STEP commands (ROTSTEPS aren't possible yet, probably in a future version).

And try to switch from LPub to LPub3D. It's a continuation of LPub, but from a new author. On my PC it's also waaay faster than the original LPub, and it has some nice little features.

If you have any questions regarding making instructions, feel free to ask or PM me :classic:

I know it will always take time, but one can dream :grin:.

Yes, I'd rather have a full digital model, that's why I finish the digital model before even attempting instructions.

I'll give LDCad a try, see if I like it. I have to say, the snap feature seems useful. I also use LPub3D, but I kinda couldn't see the point. The 3D render did not use the same view angle, so it was a bit confusing. Maybe I did something wrong, I'm not sure.

I currently have 2 models in the pipeline:

- Manitou Telehandler: This ~750 piece model (and its b-model hot rod) recently got the 3rd place in TC9, so I'd really like to create instructions for it. The digital model is already built in MLCad (apart from pneumatic tubes)

- Unrevealed truck: I haven't unveiled this model yet, it still needs photos&video, which I plan to do soon. The digital version does not exist yet, and I'm not sure about instructions. But after the photos, I'll build it digitally and dismantle it because I desperately need the motors for other builds :)

Both of them are currently waiting, since I kinda got cold feet about digital building, so I'm looking for ways to improve myself on that front.

[...]

I'll give LDCad a try, see if I like it. I have to say, the snap feature seems useful. I also use LPub3D, but I kinda couldn't see the point. The 3D render did not use the same view angle, so it was a bit confusing. Maybe I did something wrong, I'm not sure.

Well, I don't use the 3d viewer in LPub3D a lot either. But that's just one of the many things it has more than the originial LPub. Don't let the 3D in the name fool you, it's not the only new thing :wink:

But, the biggest reason for me to use LPub3D over LPub is that it's faster. The difference seems to be different for a lot of people (because the originial LPub was really slow for some like me, while it was less slow for other people).

[...]

I currently have 2 models in the pipeline:

- Manitou Telehandler: This ~750 piece model (and its b-model hot rod) recently got the 3rd place in TC9, so I'd really like to create instructions for it. The digital model is already built in MLCad (apart from pneumatic tubes)

- Unrevealed truck: I haven't unveiled this model yet, it still needs photos&video, which I plan to do soon. The digital version does not exist yet, and I'm not sure about instructions. But after the photos, I'll build it digitally and dismantle it because I desperately need the motors for other builds :)

Both of them are currently waiting, since I kinda got cold feet about digital building, so I'm looking for ways to improve myself on that front.

I can really recommend to make the pneumatic tubing using LDCad's flexible parts generator. It's soooo much easier to work with the flexible parts in real time and in 3D as opposed to LSynth. It takes a little time to understand how it works (I recommend Roland's youtube video's and the manual), but it's so much faster and easier (in my opinion/experience at least). And, it works fine in LPub, even though it isn't LSynth :classic:

I have great experience with creating instructions for Technic and I use this procedure:

• build physical model
  • dismantle it in opposite order of future steps and taking pictures of each step (it's similar to what Erik Leppen spoke about just with real model and bricks)
  • build it in CAD following pictures I took during dismantling to get correct order of steps
  • do rest of job in LPub (rotations of view, submodels, placing on pages and so on)

I still use SR 3D builder because it has the best physics for building Technic I've seen so far. I have to mention I haven't tried LDCad yet and that SR 3D Builder is officially dead since its author passed away. So SR 3D Builder misses latest parts but you can add them to your model in MLCAD later or in LPub (I use similar part instead of them during building model and later I change its "name" in LPub and sometimes adjust its orientation and possition). I use MLCad mostly just for running LSynth. If you are intersted I can show you how I use it to get best result easier.

So if you are interested in anything I wrote about above don't hesitate to ask me for more information.

You should really give LDCad a try... I too used SR3D but never regretted the switch. The program is rock steady, and flex part creation is so much easier compared to Lsynth!

I can really recommend to make the pneumatic tubing using LDCad's flexible parts generator. It's soooo much easier to work with the flexible parts in real time and in 3D as opposed to LSynth. It takes a little time to understand how it works (I recommend Roland's youtube video's and the manual), but it's so much faster and easier (in my opinion/experience at least). And, it works fine in LPub, even though it isn't LSynth :classic:

You should really give LDCad a try... I too used SR3D but never regretted the switch. The program is rock steady, and flex part creation is so much easier compared to Lsynth!

Last night I had little time, so I just gave it a try. I opened my model (already built in MLCad) and experimented with some flex axles, and I have to say, it's infinitely much better than LSynth for me.

I have great experience with creating instructions for Technic and I use this procedure:

• build physical model
  • dismantle it in opposite order of future steps and taking pictures of each step (it's similar to what Erik Leppen spoke about just with real model and bricks)
  • build it in CAD following pictures I took during dismantling to get correct order of steps
  • do rest of job in LPub (rotations of view, submodels, placing on pages and so on)

I'm going to try this one for the hot rod (b-model of telehandler) simply because I already have the dissasembly photos. But I don't think this suits me all that much, because I don't want to dissasemble the model in the process, for future models.

Thank you all for suggestions, they're much appreciated!

Edited by erelender