Capn Frank

[OL - FB2] Brutus the Blacksmith of Breshaun

Brutus the blacksmith and his young apprentice Jim handle the smithing needs of Breshaun. Their work isn't the highest quality. However, they do create a significant amount of blades, rounds, horse shoes, or whatever else in a short order. Their blades are commonly used by militia and basic military units of the Oleon colonies.

25010029490_a731b84316_b.jpg

Here comes a colonist brandishing one of their average blades :pir-grin:

Original Image

100_5662.JPG

Phredit:

Additional Photos as requested. :pir-grin:

24678851043_2c543ba9f4_b.jpg

25279385806_8534b51ece_b.jpg

25279384906_2668932517_z.jpg

24674997484_8136c504f7_z.jpg

That's a neat little blacksmith. I just wish we could see more pics of the side and back. The columns are cool and that roof technique is my favorite way of using the CMF baseplates for a roof. You have some good details, and I'm assuming the white round piece is a whetstone.

One thing that looks odd to me is the way the chimney hangs over the hearth with no corner supports, like a modern vent. Considering the weight of a stone chimney I think it would look more realistic with some corner supports at least. Other than that and the lack of visible fire/smoke (since the one worker appears to be quenching a hot blade) this is a fine little build. :classic:

Haha, love it! For once someone admits their work may not the best everpir_laugh2.gif. No claims of swords that magically cut other swordspirate_hmpf.gifpirate_sceptic.gif . You’ve actually got an appropriate size and shape hearth for blade making there too (lil experience to draw on in that realm). For realism, yeah the chimney could be further back instead of centered and reduce the amount of overhang, but it works fine. The grind stone is indeed brilliant.

since the one worker appears to be quenching a hot blade

I hope he's not re-heated that blade while still furnished, besides i don't see any firepirate_wink.gif . (joking around)

You should add a light and a pile or trans-red pieces to make a firepirate_laugh2.gif . Flashlights have worked well for me in the past.

Thanks for sharing!

I have to side with Captain Dee here, give us more pics!

Cool... ehm... hot place, indeed, that whatevertheterm white round stone idea is brilliant! Don't mind the chimney, though, it's quality Oleander construction, it will only collapse if it has the chance to whipe out some nasty redcoats pirate_tong.gif

There're holes in the baseplate... so any additional builds coming up?

Neat blacksmith's Phred, the whetstone (? I'll take Captain Dee's word for it! pirate_laugh_new.gif) is great indeed, and the building and furnace are excellent as well, even if a tad unrealistic. Very nice job texturing the ground too, I'm still wondering how you made it looks so good with so many exposed studs! pirate_tong.gifpir_laugh2.gif

That whetstone is fantastic! I also like the furnace. Soms more images wouls help

Give studs some love guys! This shop excels at what it is needed for: producing equipment to be used all around the island! Lovely minifigs choice too. But give the crowd more pics please!!

Thank you all for the complements and criticisms. I will post more pictures after the smug on my lens is gone where I can easily move back the chimney, shine a colored light onto the fire pit and crop out the top of the chimney so you can't see it's smokeless. :pir-laugh:

Very nice job texturing the ground too, I'm still wondering how you made it look so good with so many exposed studs! pirate_tong.gifpir_laugh2.gif

Lots of little plates -- regular, round, wedged -- of varying natural colors is all I do. My inspiration for the type of road that comes from Tedbeard's Port Brick Standard.

Haha, love it! For once someone admits their work may not the best everpir_laugh2.gif.

We're going for mass production here. :thumbup:

It's not just the Oleon military that needs to defend itself against Corrington, but all the Oleon Citizenry.

You’ve actually got an appropriate size and shape hearth for blade making there too (lil experience to draw on in that realm).

I only looked at colonial blacksmiths from a Google image search and Smithing in Skyrim. :pir-grin:

I would love to know what sites you have used for reference and/or what your experiences are.

I moved the chimney back and removed the smudge from my camera lense. :pir-grin:

I don't have a fancy-pointy-pretty light for the fire place. The batteries died. :pir-look:

25010029490_a731b84316_b.jpg

Additional Photos as requested. :pir-grin:

24678851043_2c543ba9f4_b.jpg

25279385806_8534b51ece_b.jpg

25279384906_2668932517_z.jpg

24674997484_8136c504f7_z.jpg

I think this version is better! It looks more balanced overall. The extra pics are nice too and reveal what was otherwise hidden details. I like it. :classic:

Oh yeah, that looks better! :thumbup: I didn't even notice the built-in bellows earlier. Nice touch!