Previous: The Bastion Otchet

Next: Antigone's Fury

|~+=@&@=+~|~+=@&@=+~|~+=@&@=+~|

Log Entry

Day 190 20 February 616

Port of Bastion

License type: Artisan (large)

Capt. Rhys Flaidd DeTaillefer

After much hard work, and weeks of scrounging the local islands for wrecks, Far Horizons Salvage and Shipworks appears to be a thriving enterprise....

24531666543_ff73f1415e_c.jpg

Far Horizons Salvage and Shipworks on Flickr

The lot adjacent to the Sail Company proved quite a good choice....

24527800524_60369e29a8_c.jpg

Far Horizons Salvage and Shipworks on Flickr

The side lot affords plenty of room for the men to fashion masts from raw timbers....

25040223872_6cd6ee04bb_c.jpg

Far Horizons Salvage and Shipworks - Working raw stock into masts on Flickr

We fashioned an improvised "dry dock" that is useful for both breaking and building hulls....

24790793219_61f9bc8ca8_c.jpg

Drydock retention/release mechanism on Flickr

It keeps the hull nice and steady while the crews do their work....

25065249251_c9ecbe0b2c_c.jpg

Far Horizons Salvage and Shipworks - pounding nails on Flickr

We reinforced the pier to support a small crane, which assists in loading and unloading materials...

24531654853_d2362f0bbb_c.jpg

Shipyard - dockside crane on Flickr

The ample wrecks from local shores have provided us a generous supply of lumber...

25158503735_e53fea0dba_c.jpg

Far Horizons Salvage and Shipworks - retention fence on Flickr

Of course, most of my time is spent in the shipwright's shed....which is rather cozy....

24862847420_f4f92d7ed7_c.jpg

Shipwright's Desk on Flickr

24527813754_45300771fc_c.jpg

Far Horizons Salvage and Shipworks - materials outside the shipwright's hut on Flickr

The

24790804949_42e9c28ced_c.jpg

Far Horizons Salvage and Shipworks - Mast finishing work on Flickr

....and the neighbors couldn't be nicer....

25040226222_d180d13e91_c.jpg

Bastion shipwrights on Flickr

Providence seems to be with us in our new seaside home...

24862830370_d698d445ca_c.jpg

Far Horizons Salvage and Shipworks - Inspecting the progress on Flickr

=======================================

Thanks for visiting!

Edited by Vedauwoo

You beat me to it, ya scurvy dog! :pir-grin:

Ok, let's see what you've got: ship in progress, slipway/drydock, crane, piles of lumber and carpenters work area, masts and other components, etc. I believe you've represented shipbuilding pretty well.

It all adds up to a bustling scene chock full of details and it looks great. I'm drawn to the stack of lumber under the chains: you halfway attached two plates together throughout the stack, right? I spotted it because it's the exact same technique I used on my similar scene (I haven't taken pics yet...)

The shipwright's office looks nice as well. Overall this is a fine arrangement that fits in perfectly with the sail-making build. Good work. :classic:

You beat me to it, ya scurvy dog! :pir-grin:

I'm drawn to the stack of lumber under the chains: you halfway attached two plates together throughout the stack, right? I spotted it because it's the exact same technique I used on my similar scene (I haven't taken pics yet...)

Thanks so much! pirate_laugh2.gif

Actually....not attached at all, it's more of a "loose pile" and is very tricky....lol

Be VERY careful with it....I barely nudged it a couple of times and they flew everywhere! pir_laugh2.gif

Edited by Vedauwoo

A fine shipyard and addition to the Bastion. I like the all features you put in.

Everyone is busy with work. Will they have time to pillage and plunder?

A great build with all the details and hustle that I'd expect to find at a dockyard. I'm particularly fond of the masts in various stages of completion and the various piles of lumber. Furthermore, I love that this build is an addition to your other MOC. It's really nice to see a small seaside town taking shape.

Beautifully done and very lively shipyard. As others have said, the many different parts of the process shown is great, and there are so many nice details.

My only comment would be to do something about the exposed top of the prefab hulls, as their deep recesses look somewhat out of place.

Great build, so many details to see. I really like the wood stack, the arrangement of the the plans (where is that little tattered scroll from?), and especially the supports for the ship.

Great build, so many details to see. I really like the wood stack, the arrangement of the the plans (where is that little tattered scroll from?), and especially the supports for the ship.

Thanks so much!

The scroll is a Brickwarriors part I picked up at BrickFest Live Denver last year...they have a lot of great "3rd party" minifig accessories......they match original LEGO colours nicely and offer some neat options....