Hi all,

since I recieved Mindstorms EV3 set 31313 few days ago I've decided to start my first project. I call it CLEV3R CAR and as you can guess it's about car. I've just finished building it and I'm about to start programming it. So let's talk about model first. It looks like Mini Cooper, chassis is inspired by RAC3 TRUCK and I've finished it in just two days. It features two large motors for driving, medium motor for steering, IR sensor instead of radiator and rear bumper with touch sensor. I wanted to build it as small as possible but it became pretty big.

1455984451m_DISPLAY.jpg

14559844521_DISPLAY.jpg

I've paid attention to many details so you can easily remove EV3 brick (for example to change batteries) and there is enough space under it so you can use it with original rechargable battery as well. It's also pretty sturdy,

14559844522_DISPLAY.jpg

14559844523_DISPLAY.jpg

I plan to program several modes for it:

1. Automatic - independent driving with avoiding obstacles
  2. RC - remotely controlled from IR beacon with driving assistance (for example if you drive it against wall it will stop before it)
  3. Search for beacon - independent driving to beacon

By the way does anyone have experience with programming searching for beacon? I can imagine how to do it for tank (or other tracked vehicle that can turn on the spot) but car with classic steering is something different...

The Search for beacon mode will be tough, I have never tried some mindstorm programming, But I see what you mean, and good luck. And also I don't think the car could have been any smaller I think it is really small.

In the book "The Lego Mindstorms EV3 discovery book" by valk, on pages following 301, is an example of a beacon search program.

Ed

Nice little car!

If you called this "little car" I wouldn't want to know what is "big car" for you... :sweet:

Thank you all for you comments. I'm happy to tell you that I've finished project CLEV3R CAR. In order to make it working well I had to rebuilt whole front part of car and add color sensor. Now it works like this:

• At the beginning you can choose one of two modes - automatic or RC (remote control).
  • If you choose automatic mode car will drive independently and avoid obstacles. It has quite a cool logic. When it finds obstacle it toots first to point out you should go out of its way. If you don't move or obstacle is for example wall it will turn and reverse till it finds free way again. It decides on its own whether it turns right or left. Program also prevents car to go back in small places. I mean if it turns left in order to aviod obstacle and immediately it finds another one it will turn in same direction as first time.
  • If you choose RC mode you can control car by IR beacon. It allows you to adjust speed and actual speed is displayed on screen. It also features driving assistant that automatically stops car when it finds obstacle. I've used color sensor in front and touch sensor under rear bumper for this.

14569897711_DISPLAY.jpg

14569897723_DISPLAY.jpg

Edited by Tomik

Awesome car and cool program to go with it. Love all the sounds. Great job.

Thank you for your comments. I'm happy you like it.

I've already begun working on new project SAF3. It will be vault with three different locks. I've made short teaser of card reader that will be part of it. By the way does anyone have any tips how to avoid wrong color readings with EV3 color sensor? Mine reads all colors correctly except yellow that mistakes for blue. Sensor is placed 1 stud far from bricks and there are mostly black parts around it.