Nice little crane :classic:

Nice idea recreation of crane lifting crane lifting another crane lifting last one. :thumbup:

The performance is fantastic and it looks great, too. Are you going to keep it or take it apart?

By the way, the metal cutting picture made me laugh - barefoot and the angle grinder next to some very sensitive parts... :laugh:

Very nice! Did you drill the center axles of pulleys?

Yes..... it is all specified on the page..... I have also used the technique before. I know I could buy Efferman's pulleys on shapeways.... but for such an easy fix I think it is just so much easier to drill them. I know.... bad me....

The performance is fantastic and it looks great, too. Are you going to keep it or take it apart?

By the way, the metal cutting picture made me laugh - barefoot and the angle grinder next to some very sensitive parts... :laugh:

Probably keep it for at least a while. It takes up a lot of space but there are many experiments that possibly could be done on it. Actually, I was thinking, after a break from it :sweet: - of perhaps buying Efferman's turnable on shapeways and install it. The booms are actually very strong and can handle more weight. At around ten pounds it was the turnable that began to give way....

Yes... the pics are great but NOT realistic. That is why I specified they were only for show. I would never encourage actual cutting -- for all the beams that way :cry_sad: :cry_sad:

Looks and works great. The recreation of that customer day at Liebherr is nice. It would have been cool if you made a LEGO micro style crane for it.

posterboy_zpsow90vmmt.jpg

Yes... the pics are great but NOT realistic. That is why I specified they were only for show. I would never encourage actual cutting -- for all the beams that way :cry_sad: :cry_sad:

Perhaps I should state this again. This pic was done for show. I literally turned the grinder on for two seconds for the pic and that was it. Real cutting was done completely safe.... during the day :wink: :wink: -- I have worked with metal for many years. But point well taken.... I hope no one views the pics and tries to mimic the for real not knowing that I did not do the real cuts under different conditions!

:laugh: Don't worry nerds, your picture will find its way to safety manuals for metal workers.

I didn't mean to derail the discussion by the way, you made a very good model and we should focus on that.

Impressive size and performance. Don't mind modifying parts - esp. when it's on the edge of what technically possible with lego.

The track width looks kind of out of proportion. They appear far to narrow for distributing/transfering all the weight of the real machine safely to ground.

Impressive size and performance. Don't mind modifying parts - esp. when it's on the edge of what technically possible with lego.

The track width looks kind of out of proportion. They appear far to narrow for distributing/transfering all the weight of the real machine safely to ground.

Agreed. I thought about buying tons of liftarms to widen the tracks, easy to do, many examples of others doing it. But costly. As with any real project, I had a budget in which I targeted to complete this baby. The rising prices of 15L liftarms didn't help any. In the end, I decided against it..... but good point to highlight.

This build is amazingly well engineered!!! Great... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Maybe it is somewhere written, but can't find it: what total weight are you lifting with three cranes and some extra counter weight? Close to 2kg I suppose, or even more?

Okay, found it... 3267 grams, or 7.2 pounds, sorry... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Edited by 2LegoOrNot2Lego...

This build is amazingly well engineered!!! Great... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Maybe it is somewhere written, but can't find it: what total weight are you lifting with three cranes and some extra counter weight? Close to 2kg I suppose, or even more?

Okay, found it... 3267 grams, or 7.2 pounds, sorry... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yea... you got it. And I lifted ten pounds dead weight...... when I didn't have to worry about all the balancing required from the quad lift. Honestly, (and I think I wrote it somewhere) I may consider buying Efferman's turnable and install it. Although I built my own, it was the weak point when lifting any amount of weight. The booms handled things just fine.... but at ten pounds the turnable began to give way......

but at ten pounds the turnable began to give way......

This will be the weakest link, with actual LEGO that is not to avoid. Having the custom TT would indeed be a great solution... Extends the possibilities for sure!

This 'thing' is so much awesome!!! Must be alot of fun putting weight on it and looking for the limit,.. 2 bad the turntable limits the whole contraption.