KirTech LAB

[MOC] Bucket Wheel Excavator ER-1250

The topic is updated with short review:

Hello all!

Today I want to show the small copy of the Soviet Bucket Wheel Excavator ER-1250. This mining machine was designed in the middle of the XX century and it’s a real monster! The excavator is more than 48 meters long and it is about 8-storey building high. Total weight – almost 700 tons. These machines are used for stripping and for mining.

You can see the original here: https://yandex.ru/im...ch?text=ЭР-1250

I considered two possible scales: the technic-figure scale and the mini-figure scale. The model in the first scale would be more than two meters long so I’ve chosen the second one. So the scale is 1 : 41.

Let’s take a look at my model:

27688124795_82dd45a79f_b.jpg

27688122805_fbc1ab5172_b.jpg

The dimensions: 123x42x56 cm, total weight – 7,8 kg.

The model is really huge!

27613422601_be8b0764f6_b.jpg

27409488780_985d68af97_b.jpg

My excavator has eight remote controlled functions:

- Separate left and right track drive (4x XL-motors). All the bogies have an equalizing beam suspension;

- Three-sixty superstructure rotation (2x M-motors), the chassis and the superstructure can be separated very easy;

- Unloading conveyor rotation (2x M-motors), the range isn’t too large but the turning speed is equal to the superstructure rotation speed so we can lock the unloading point;

- Main boom elevation angle (1x L-motor with polyspast);

- Unloading height changing (1x M-motor with polyspast);

- Unloading mechanism rotation (1x Micro-motor);

- Unloading mechanism flap (1x Micro-motor). This mechanism is used for effective loading of trains.

Also the model has two motorized functions with manual control:

- Unloading conveyor (1x M-motor);

- Main conveyor with bucket wheel (1x M-motor).

So the model has 14 motors, 6 IR receivers, 2 battery boxes and 2 LiPos.

Like in the real machines the unloading conveyor is faster than the main one. I’ve tested the excavator with 3L pins and they pass all the way from the buckets (gravitational unloading) to the unloading mechanism.

Let’s watch how it works:

I’ve paid special attention to the details for comfortable working of my mini-figures. We have three operator cabs, the crane for mounting and local repair, many stairs and access to all the motors and reducers.

27409488870_be48105204_b.jpg

27409488610_dc1884e089_b.jpg

27688124155_e258e02a4c_b.jpg

More photos you can find here: https://flickr.com/photos/141718063@N06/albums/72157669300390701

Thanks for watching! I hope you like it :)

Edited by desert752

Wow, outstanding job, how long was this on your table? Did you start before seeing the awaited "official" BWE or were you inspired by it? The amount of details is fantastic. And moves really well for such a huge nachine. I am also amazed and envy you the pace you manage to build and publish your work. Congratulations!

Edited by MajklSpajkl

I just saw this on Facebook and I knew I had to visit the forum.

This MOC is insane! It will be excavating the Frontpage soon, I promise :wink:

Is it a coincidence or did you build it after you saw TLG's version?

Wow, outstanding job, how long was this on your table? Did you start before seeing the awaited "official" BWE or were you inspired by it?

This MOC is insane! It will be excavating the Frontpage soon, I promise :wink:

Is it a coincidence or did you build it after you saw TLG's version?

Thanks a lot! I was building it about three months. The process was started in November. I think I had no 42055 photos at that time. I wanted to construct this excavator a long time ago but I had no parts and skill. But now I have :)

Fantastic job. The performance is stunning for such huge beast! I must say I like this 'classic' design with cables better than the style Lego picked for their model.

i would buy this one rather than 42055, just look at its massive size!! did you use just a normal turntable? the upperstructure seemed very wobbly to me. this thing is really wonderfull. i love it!!

Thanks a lot!

It's very unfair to compare my MOC with 42055. What do you think: how much would be cost the 42055 set if it will have 14 motors and so on..? :)

did you use just a normal turntable?

Yes I use new turntable from the 42042 and 42043 sets.

Amazing creation. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I particularly like the colourscheme with all the black railings. It really gives some sense of scale. It looks like it is really well balanced around the pivot point, did you achieve that in one try, or did you have to tinker with the design to get that right?

Absolutely stunning. I like how you did the boom with the curved yellow panels, and the touch of realism for various details. The only thing missing is ... the 'new' parts of the 42055.

Thanks for comments!

It looks like it is really well balanced around the pivot point, did you achieve that in one try, or did you have to tinker with the design to get that right?

You are right - the top part can stand only on the turntable - the square of 3x5 studs. I've added a few weight-bricks under the small crane to achieve this balance.

Wow! You do some large builds! I love this MOC.... great stuff. Question: What did you use for a turnable? I am assuming you came up with your own design or used something like from Efferman's shop..... those from TLG are just too small and weak. Being someone who also likes to build large MOCs.... I can appreciate how much time went into this. Fun stuff.......