Capt Wolf

[ESL-FB5] Class 5T Heart of Eslandia

First of all, I like how you begin with the introductory scene. That's a neat idea.

Thanks. I think each ship needs an origin story of some sort.

Beautiful galleon! :pir-wub: The first pic is simply wonderful. I want to download it and use it as a wallpaper on my PC.

This has to be one of the best prefab galleons I've ever seen. The design is fairly basic but turned out exceptionally well. The slope bricks look pretty good but for me it's simply a well-planned and nicely proportioned vessel. The colors are nice and the light-colored upper railing displays the classic galleon form almost perfectly. The stern looks good with all the decorated elements and the headrails are my favorite type of design, even if tubes/hoses may be smoother. But what's most appealing is the fact that this demonstrates anyone can build a really good galleon without using lots of advanced techniques and huge numbers of pieces.

Thanks again. I like to work with the pre-fab hulls; I think it just makes it more Lego-like, but I like to try for a realistic looking ship.

I agree with much of what has been said above, she is a very nice vessel. +1 :thumbup: approval

Thats an awesome ship !

The colors, the shape, the details !

Awesomness all over the place !

That is amazing, I would give you multiple approvals if I could. Must try and plan something like this for the future........

You are correct about the hull curvature vs the gun port orientation. Most people fail to realize that the gunports do not follow the hull curvature exactly. Some ships had completely flat decks compared to their horizontal curve. While some ships gunports curve up slightly as they go fore and aft, but it did not exactly follow the sheer of the ship. And as weird as it sounds the gunports usually curved upwards more towards the bow rather than the stern. One reason. It's called seaworthiness. Now some older ships, example the Vasa, had very curved decks and so the ports almost followed the sheer exactly. But vasa came along at the start of the age of sail.

I haven't commented on this yet, but to celebrate her recent licensing, I will do so now. :pir-tongue:

The most fantastic thing about this ship is the overall curvature and shape of the hull, especially since it is achieved with relatively simple means. It is a perfect example of how the high fore- and sterncastles of the earlier vessels such as flutes and galleons were integrated parts of the hull. The details inside and out are brilliant, and in no place does she appear unfinished. For purely cosmetic reasons, letting her gunports follow the curvature of the hull would probably improve her looks a trifle, but you and others have perfectly well explained their current placement. :pir-blush:

I have no comments on the rigging, apart form suggesting a jib, but that is more a question of principle! I really find it hard to suggest improvements, as I find her very near perfect. :pir-oh:

Lastly, for constructing a ship, the Vasa really isn't an example to follow! But any Dane in his right mind would know that you shouldn't trust a Swede to construct a ship! :pir-tongue:

Bregir

I'm not sure if you understand why I mentioned the vasa. I was using it as an example of the curvature of the ships hull (sheer) vs the curvature of the gunports. I know vasa was a failed ship. If it had been 5 ft wider it would have changed the course of history. But it was only used as an example for early ship design, being an easy source for people to google, research etc.

Bregir

I'm not sure if you understand why I mentioned the vasa. I was using it as an example of the curvature of the ships hull (sheer) vs the curvature of the gunports. I know vasa was a failed ship. If it had been 5 ft wider it would have changed the course of history. But it was only used as an example for early ship design, being an easy source for people to google, research etc.

My lord admiral - you must forgive me - my comment was in no way meant as a reflection of the merits of your comment. I agree, or course - as an inspiration, it is a great ship.

I meant no disrespect, and shall offer my full public excuse, or any you find appropriate. I have no wish to get entangled in a duel here! pirate_wink.gif

However, as a Dane, it is my duty to king and country to take any jab at the Swedes I can! pirate_laugh2.gif

My lord admiral - you must forgive me - my comment was in no way meant as a reflection of the merits of your comment. I agree, or course - as an inspiration, it is a great ship.

I meant no disrespect, and shall offer my full public excuse, or any you find appropriate. I have no wish to get entangled in a duel here! pirate_wink.gif

However, as a Dane, it is my duty to king and country to take any jab at the Swedes I can! pirate_laugh2.gif

It is great to get some input on the technical aspect of ship building, and yes the Wasa is a familiar ship even to me that does not know much about these things. As a Norwegian I want to join in the swede beatdown. So the Wasa would have been a great ship, if it was built by someone with common sense. Not a swede then. pir_laugh2.gif

That is really a good looking ship, I love the use of the round parts as gallery roofs. It also shows the potential of using slopes. pirate_satisfied.gif

I do have some tips:

-It would look nicer if the galleries were angled so they'd follow the sheer of the sip. I think it can be easily achived by dividing it into 3 or 4 sections and just placing each section 1 plate higher going to the stern

-Your headrails look a bit plain and too straight at the tip of your gangways. I would try to bend the tip up slightly and add a second row of plates and some vertical support beams.

-As said, the rear gunports could follow the sheer a little bit more. This seems to me like an early age galleon, so it would be correct. However, there were ships with pretty much straight decks around too.

-The red and green colour combination is a bit heavy on the eyes, you might consider changing the gunports for some black or dark red flags. Some lighter sails might make it look even more realistic.

Bregir

You're absolutely right about the sheer and gunports!

The Vasa was however, not a failed ship. The Swedish king was a failure, since he failed to listen to the great Dutchmen that build her and placed more guns on the decks then she could carry. That is why she tipped over on the maiden voyage. Heck, the quality of this ship was so good, it can still be visited today! pir_laugh2.gif